Tripod suggestion for the JVC GY-HM100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Tripod suggestion for the JVC GY-HM100

Just wondering if I can get something decent for under $500 any suggestion?
What do you think of the Libec LS22?
Libec | LS22M2A Tripod System | LS-22M(2A) | B&H Photo Video

thanks,
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Kajito.............

I love it!

Yet another $4K HD camera with a paltry $500 set of sticks under it.

When will you guys learn that the camera system is a "system"?

Any system is only as good as it's weakest link, and a $500 buck support is gonna be the weakest link by far (excluding the operator, of course).

Don't do it - sell your Mother, heck, sell the entire familly, go for a decent support system!

(I'm only half joking, of course. How many familly do you really need, anyway?).

Oh, can't help on the Libec, but it seems to get good feedback, for the price.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:48 AM   #3
Trustee

Chris,

Here's the math:

A $100,000 camera can get away with a $10,000 tripod...

Hence, for a $3500 camera, $350 for the tripod seems in order, and $500 would be overkill!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:05 AM   #4
Trustee

Well, the HM-100 is quite a tiny camera, and the LS-22 isn't bad for small cameras.

It wouldn't be my first choice, given my experience of my Sony V1 on the TH-950 (which has the LS-22 head). Leaving side the spindly, flimsy legs on the 950, (the LS-22 legs are a bit sturdier), the H22 head is OK for wide shots only. At any level of telephoto, I found the lack of drag a real problem, even trying to get a well-framed locked off shot at 20x zoom was tricky.

Counterbalance adjustment is there, but is not finely adjustable. Adding a Manfrotto sliding plate to the top can help that. The built-in sliding plate adjustment is a pain in the bum, you have to remove the camera from the had, adjust the screws underneath, then put the camera back on the head, then repeat several times until you go crazy.

For a tiny camera, the Vinten range isn't an option, in my opinion. Their Vision range is overkill (both cost-wise and physically). The Protouch range are just rebadged Manfrottos, and despite the pizazz in their NAB videos, I think they're a waste of time and money - speaking from bitter experience.

For such small cameras, you want to look at something like the Sachtler FSB-2 or FSB-4 kits. There's probably some Miller or other types as well.

The Sachtler FSB-2 on single-stage alloy legs is $770 at B&H - though it's 4lb payload is a little close to the HM-100's weight. The FSB-4 supports up to 8lbs and is $900 at B&H.

The Libec LS-22 with T68 legs is around $460 at B&H (depending on whether you want ground or mid spreader), though you can get the slightly lighter T58 version even cheaper.

If you really, really can't afford something like the Sachtler FSB-4, then the Libec is a good budget tripod.
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM   #5
Trustee

Jack,

I am inclined to disagree slightly with the old 10% ratio for buying a tripod. There's only so much good engineering you get in a $350 tripod. No matter what the camera cost, I think you need to get a certain level of performance in the fluid, drag and counterbalance to make a tripod 'good'.

No matter what the camera costs, you will probably want a tripod with a good head, counterbalance, drag settings, with minimal bounce back at the end of pans or tilts and minimal twistiness in the legs.

You don't need to go mad on $5000 tripods, but spending a little more will be worth it.

Of course, as I said, the $350-$470 LS-22 (depending on configuration) is pretty good for its price, but does have its limitations.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:38 PM   #6
Major Player

My first choice was actually a Miller DS-10
($ 1,039.95 B&H) it's probably an overkill maybe not but I would
have to wait until the end of the year to get it.

thanks guys
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Kajito.......

Sorry if I came across a bit abrupt before, this is becoming such an issue it really gets me going....

However, back to your issue.

Mike had some good words to say on the subject, very good words, as it happens, give them some thought.

If I thought I could top them I'd give it a try, but don't think I can.

Choose well and buy the best you can afford.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #8
Trustee

Chris,

You've brainwashed me over the past couple of years. You just haven't brainwashed me enough to get anything more expensive than the Sachtler DV6 - keep trying!
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

The old percentage ratio doesn't really work anymore, simply because electronics have been steadily getting cheaper while mechanics get more expensive. Today's $5000 camera is last years $7500 camera and five years ago the same kind of thing would have been maybe $16000+, yet the price of a real quality head has hardly dropped. There are plenty of better budget heads around nowadays that simply weren't available a few years ago, and while some are good, others are a bit more.... worrysome.

My view is that any head that cannot keep your camera at whatever angle it is at when you take your hand away is not worth having. Same thing with what you put the head on. If it is well made, and rigid enough then I'll use it - even if it's heavier than the aluminium/carbon fibre ones.

I've got some fairly hefty kit, and putting a small format camcorder on them produces so much better material, even if the head and legs cost more than the camera! I've got a Libec, but it only gets used when all the others available are in use. It has a two stage drag, but that's not really good enough, and as for the manfrotto/bogen/vinten cheap ranges - yuk! Actually, they work, many people like them, but they seem pretty poor at managing a larger size camera at anything other than near horizontal.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Always buy what's fit the budget you have for gear when you need it, no point of going of of business for a tripod..

But this should be taken into consideration when choosing camera, the larger the camera the larger head needed and thus the price go up. A good head and sturdy sticks actually makes the pictures a lot better, my old Z1 looked a lot better than a EX1 just because I was running a Dv6sb head vs libec LS22. At the moment I'm trying to figure out what to choose for my Hpx500, not cheap but a good set og sticks/head migt last 10 years or more...

And as Paul pointed out, electronics now a day are dead cheap. Precision mechanics though haven't changed that much, it still cost a lot of money to develop and produce a good tripod head or broadcast pro lens.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #11
Major Player

I don't mind spending the extra cash for a better tripod
cause a good quality tripod will probably out live the camera itself.
I need to research this a little bit more before making a decision
but you guys made a few good points which I will keep in mind.

Just got back from B&H with a few more goodies for my camera.
Can't wait to go out this weekend and test my new Gizmo:-)
Hey Soucy don't sweat it you didn't come across abrupt thanks for
the advise. What do you guys think about the Miller DS-10?

-kAj aka
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #12
Trustee

I like the Sachtler FSB-6 head very much.

The FSB-4, with a max weight of 8.8 lbs., should be about perfect for the HM100. I don't know if it's dumbed down or not over the 6. The 6 would also be excellent.

Here are setups with the FSB-4 head at B&H. Down the list is the head with aluminum legs for $800:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....y=0&Go=submit

Here is a link to the FSB-6 setups. The cheapest with aluminum legs is $1430:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....y=0&Go=submit
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #13
Major Player

hey buddy thanks I'll have a look at it.
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #14
Major Player

More tripod questions for my jvc hm100

With your help I've been researching different tripods for the past few weeks and have narrowed it down to either the Miller DS-10
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...od_System.html
or the Sachtler FSB-4
Sachtler | 0375 FSB-4 Carbon Fiber Tripod System | 0375 | B&H
The Aluminum version of the Sachtler FSB-4 is about $350 less than the carbon one.
I don't understand why cause the weight on both the aluminum and carbon is the same I thought carbon was suppose to be lighter.

I get around town on my motorcycle everything I carry will be on my backpack so I need a lightweight and folding tripod this looks good what do you think?
Miller | SOLO DV10 Carbon Fiber Tripod System | 1511 | B&H Photo. Can someone explains the difference between the solo and the other two tripods? Do the other two fold up to a small package like the solo?
I'm leaning towards the Miller cause I can get lower with it (14.5 compared to the Sachtler 30.3) Also the miller solo is lighter more load capacity. Do all three tripods come with a release plate or do I need to buy that separately? I plan on buying the Tripod at the end of this month so I would really appreciate your input before I cough up a lot of $$$. Thanks again
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Magnussen View Post
...the larger the camera the larger head needed and thus the price go up...
The new DVSLRs add a complication. I think the new rule is, "the longer the lens and the worse the rolling shutter, the more one needs to spend on a tripod."

Just watch a baseball game. The center field camera is zoomed in 400 yards away to see the strike zone. If the crowd stomps their feet you can see the camera waver - and that's in a multi-million dollar stadium with one of the best tripods available at any price. Zoom wide enough and the image will be rock solid.

Rolling shutter turns camera motion into jello - and seasickness. Then again, there are snowboarders who hold a 5D Mark II in their hand with a 15mm fisheye lens and the footage is excellent. Go with as much as a 100mm lens handheld and it's barf city. Try 200mm or more on a cheap tripod and you'd better not touch it or use it in even moderate wind.

Camera weight is important - especially if you want it to balance correctly, but it's only one consideration for how much beef you want in a support system.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads