Tripod suggestion for the JVC GY-HM100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 10th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
With your help I've been researching different tripods for the past few weeks and have narrowed it down to either the Miller DS-10
Miller | DS-10 Aluminum Tripod System | 828 | B&H Photo Video
or the Sachtler FSB-4
Sachtler | 0375 FSB-4 Carbon Fiber Tripod System | 0375 | B&H
The Aluminum version of the Sachtler FSB-4 is about $350 less than the carbon one.
I don't understand why cause the weight on both the aluminum and carbon is the same I thought carbon was suppose to be lighter.
You can read an almost direct comparison of what you are considering here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...0-solo-cf.html

The bottom line IMHO is do not get the Miller setup, get an FSB-6 or FSB-4 and the carbon fibre legs, speedlock or not. My review says it all.

The CF legs will be stiffer if they weigh the same, or they can be lighter and as stiff, everything is a tradeoff.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #17
Trustee

I highly recommend the Sacthler head.

If you want lightweight legs like the Solo legs, I very, very highly recommend the Gitzo legs:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6X_Carbon.html

The bowl piece is removable and can be replaced with a 100mm version or a flat top.

The legs are extremely rigid with virtually no twist. They are better in this respect than either the Sachtler or the Solo.

They are very lightweight. I have the x-tall version of this tripod. It goes in a regular suitcase for travel. With a lightweight case (like the store brand ones at Adorama -- I haven't seen any of these inexpensive bags at dvinfo.net sponsors) these legs and the Sachtler FSB head would be perfect for motorcylce... much better than the bulkier and heavier FSB legs.

I use a Gitzo head, but it is really larger than necessary for the HM100. The Sachtler head is superior, and I think the Gitzo legs are perfect for your use.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #18
Major Player

Jack which Sachtler FSB head should I get with the Gizmo for my HM100?
There are different versions of the Gizmo which one should I get for my HM100?
Sorry don't mean for you to do my homework but I want to make sure I get
the right one. Can you link me to both leg and head at B&H?
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
Jack which Sachtler FSB head should I get with the Gizmo for my HM100?
There are different versions of the Gizmo which one should I get for my HM100?
Sorry don't mean for you to do my homework but I want to make sure I get
the right one. Can you link me to both leg and head at B&H?
The Gitzo (correction of Gizmo) legs that you want are Gitzo Series 3. This is the one I recommend, and it is considered the standard set for video use, and therefore, it comes with the 75mm bowl interface:
Gitzo | GT3531LSV Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod | GT3531LSV
The maximum height of these legs is almost 5 feet. It will be about 5'6" with the head and camera in place. The total load for the legs if 40 lbs., and they weigh 4 lbs.

These legs have and instant rebate, and an additonal $40 mail-in rebate. They also come with a free lightweight Bogen bag:
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 3280BLK (AW-3280B) | AW 3280BLK
This bag might be fine for your intended use.

For the HM100 I think the Sachtler FSB-4 head is appropriate. (If you plan on using a larger camera later, you might consider the FSB-6). The problem is that the FSB-4 head does not seem to be sold separately, but only comes in sets with legs.

With that in mind, if I were you I think I would get the least expensive set with the least expensive aluminum tripod for $800:
Sachtler | 0372 FSB-4 Aluminum Tripod System | 0372 | B&H Photo

However there are two additional choices which I cannot comment on without seeing them. There is this more expensive aluminum set for $940:
Sachtler | 0373 FSB-4 Aluminum Tripod System | 0373 | B&H Photo

The nicest tripod is the Carbon Fiber one -- with speed lock legs for instant setup -- that costs $1,160 for the set:
Sachtler | 0375 FSB-4 Carbon Fiber Tripod System | 0375 | B&H

I see you are in New York City, so I believe you need to go into B&H and look at each of the choices. All of the combinations are about the same weight, except that the Gitzo legs will wave about 2-3 lbs. and are sleeker.

Here are the possibilities, as I see it:

1. Get the $800 aluminum FSB-4 and use it. If you want to upgrade to the Gitzo legs, do that after you try out the Sachtler set on its own.

2. Get the $1,160 Sachtler set and use it.

I don't know what you are going to shoot, but another Gitzo option is the extra tall version of the same tripod linked above:
Gitzo | GT3541XLS Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod | GT3541XLS
This one collapses to the same size as the shorter version, but it extends to 6'6" (7 feet with head and camera). It has a $100 instant rebate and a $40 mail in rebate. If you have a need to ho higher than five feet, this is the tripod to get. Both of the Gitzo tripods have a minimum height of 4 inches. These are very versatile tripods, very torsion resistant, and can't be beat when lightweight is needed.
NOTE: The extra tall Gitzo GT3541XLS comes with a flat top, so you have to buy the 75mm bowl adapter separately. (It changes out with the flat top, or with a 100mm bowl adapter, as I mention above.):
Gitzo | GS5320V75 75mm Bowl Adapter | GS5320V75 | B&H Photo Video

The Sachtler tripods work very well in the standard sense, and you could start with one of the Sacthtler sets and and add Gitzo legs later if they would suit you.

One final link, if you want to go with the Sachtler FSB-6 head, here is the head alone for $1,260:
Sachtler | 0407 FSB-6 Fluid Head | 0407 | B&H Photo Video
Adding the tripod isn't that much more. Here is the carbon fiber set for $1,580:
Sachtler | 0475 FSB-6 Carbon Fiber Tripod System | 0475 | B&H
Or the same head and CF tripod with the additon of a dolly and a bag for $1,680:
Sachtler | 0450 FSB-6T with 75CF and Mid-Level Spreader | 0450

There are also packages with aluminum tripods.

HOWEVER, bottom line for the HM100, I think the FSB-4 is the right head, and since you have to buy it with legs, I'd get the aluminum set, then add Gitzo legs (either regular or extra tall), either now or later. You will end up with two tripods, but you can sell the Sachtler aluminum one or keep it for an extra or keep it for specific situations where it might be a good choice.

I think you would be very happy with the Sachtler FSB-4 head and the Gitzo legs, either standard or extra long. Here are the links once more:

Sacthler FSB-4 head with aluminum legs:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...um_Tripod.html

Gitzo GT3531LSV standard height legs (75mm bowl adapter and bag are included):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6X_Carbon.html

Gitzo GT3541XLS (extra tall) tripod:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ml#accessories

Gitzo 75mm bowl adapter, needed to buy extra with the extra tall tripod:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Adapter.html

Bogen bag that is included with the Gitzo standard tripod (but not the extra tall):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications
(Though you might find an unpadded bag that works better.)

(Final note: because the Gitzo tripods have interchangable adapters, you could use any head you wanted, 75mm, 100mm or Flathead, for now if you didn't want to spend the money on a Sachtler until later.)
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #20
Major Player

Jack thanks for taking the time to explain everything and for providing the links for me you've been very helpful. I plan to stop by B&H next week to have a look at all 3 tripods. So the Sachtler FSB-4 head would be appropriate for the HM100 but not for something like the EX1.Right now I'm leaning towards the Sachtler Carbon Fiber one and using that for a while but it depends on whether I can fold it up and carry it on my back I'll see.
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #21
Trustee

The load capacities for the Sachtler FSB heads are:

FSB-4 -- 8.8 lbs.

FSB-6 -- 13.2 lbs.

FSB-8 -- 20 lbs.

I think the best results are when the camera is about in the middle range of the weight load. The EX1 is 5.3 lbs. without any accessories, so I would say the FSB-6 or FSB-8 would be better for it than the FSB-4.

Last edited by Jack Walker; July 11th, 2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #22
Major Player

Jack makes a lot of sense.
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #23
Major Player

So I guess my $20 tripod isn't adequate enough for my $300 DV camera. :( Man, the price you guys pay for a tripod.. holy moly! I thought a $150 fluid head tripod would be really good. What is it you are getting with $500 to $1000 tripods? Is it thicker titanium in the legs, or gold screws and GPS balancing?
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #24
Major Player

As with any piece of equipment, the quality of the output is what determines what you need. If a $20 tripod makes you happy then that is all that matters. If you have to make other people happy with your output then what is needed to make it look good is going to be much more.

A $300 camera can make good output. A $20 tripod can hold up a camera in a static shot with no wind perfectly fine. If you have any other conditions then you will find it extremely difficult if not impossible to make the $20 tripod look any good at all.

There are fiddly ways to make due with cheap gear. This is fine if you have infinite time and patience to get what you want. When you are trying to get that one shot that will never happen again, or you are on the set watching the clock and money for time, or you want the best results you can get, then there is a minimum standard of equipment that you need no matter the cost of the camera.

Results cost, either in time, or money, or both.
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #25
Major Player

Kajito,

I'm also checking for a new tripod and I've checked on the Sachtlers. The carbon fibre tripod is equiped with what Sachtler call SpeedLock. I don't know exactly what it does but it seems as if you only have to use one lock lever on each leg to control both leg sections. If you take a close look at a picture of a SpeedLock tripod there is some kind of control axis between the upper and lower section on each leg. I guess that's why the weight is about the same between the carbon and the aluminium models. On the carbon model you will have a "faster" tripod setup but the cost is weight. On the aluminim model you save weight but the cost is "slower" setup.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #26
Trustee

The speedlock is pretty neat - no more crawling around on the ground to extend the bottom level of the tripod!

I just unlock all three clasps (at waist height) then lift the tripod to the height I want, and lock three levers again.

Much better than my previous tripods where I had to unlock three knobs, raise the tripod to its first stage, lock three knobs (right down at ground level), unlock the other three knobs, raise it again and lock the three knobs.

I will admit that the tripod isn't as feather-light as I hoped. If you don't care for the Speedlock system, then you have to decide if the extra hundreds of dollars are worth it when there is little difference in weight.

The Sachtler shoulder strap (sold separately) makes transporting this beast a lot easier.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #27
Major Player

hey guys thanks again for taking the time to explain these things to me. I'm going to B&H this week to eyeball the tripods.
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #28
Major Player

Good luck with your visit on B&H. It would be nice if you could share your experience and your impressions of your different alternatives. I find it very hard to visit them myself as NY is to far away for a weekend trip as I live in Sweden.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #29
Major Player

Lucky me I'm about a 15 minute drive from B&H:-)
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #30
Major Player

I bought a secondhand Vinten Vision 10 that is at least 10 years old and it still works amazingly well. The quality of panning available from a good tripod is worth the cost, trust me, and the clients will always notice. Invest at least 1k in a tripod, and 2k-3k if you can afford it.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads