Manfrotto Monopod query ... 561HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Manfrotto Monopod query ... 561HDV

Going to get one of the Monfrotto monopods but trying to decide which one. I will soon be receiving a Panasonic GH1 and will be using it with the kit lens (14-140mm), zoom h4n, and possibly a microlight or a sennheiser wireless - so I'd guesstimate around 4 lbs total.

The 560B seems perfect but maybe a little too lightweight for the set up (if my guesswork's off). It also sounds as though the 561 is a lot sturdier and thus should give more stability. Correct?

The 561BHDV also seems great but a lot of you are saying the pan movement is not great. The Velbon head on the 562 is another option (the 701 head + 562 is a little pricey for my first investment in a monopod) but not sure how good the tilt/panning it on it.

That said, I'm not sure how much panning/tilting I'd be doing with a monopod in any case ... can't imagine it'd be that smooth regardless of the head.

I know it is unlikely, but can I use the camera plate from my Sachtler DV2 head (measures 2.4 x 1.8") on either the 561 or the Velbon head. I can't find the specs for the 501PL plate.

And finally, are you still enjoying the monopod?

Thanks.
Dave
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

There's a big difference between the 560 and the 561/562 (different heads IIRC), speaking from experience with the 560 and the 562. The 562 is significantly larger, taller, and heavier. It would depend on whether you want a light overall rig, and whether the 560 is rated for your setup. I find myself preferring the 560, but I run smaller cameras, and they look kinda silly sitting on top of the 562...

Part of the feature set of these is the fluid cartridge in the base, so you can effectively pan from the base, not entirely sure why one would need a separate pan head, and it's surprisingly smooth. While you wouldn't think the little stubby tripod legs would be that great, they actually are effective.

I'm pretty sure you can remove the head on either of these and expose a standard stud, although I haven't fiddled with it.

I like the heavier 562, it definitely feels more stout, yet I reach for the 560... lighter and easier to carry. Not sure if that will help you make a decision, but might at least give you some insight.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Dave. Good to know the base does a good job with the panning.

I wonder how useful the 561's tilt bar is as opposed to just holding the camera body?

Does the 562's weight give it extra stability over the 560 (noticeable when watching footage back - let's say with a 4 pound camera/extras)?
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads