I am so close: Video, Carbon Fibre + bowl.. help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I am so close: Video, Carbon Fibre + bowl.. help?

hi all,

i've got a 701HD head on the way for use with my JVC HM100 and now i'm looking at sticks

i'd like to go carbon fiber and happy to spend up around the $500mark

i'd like the center stick to be adjustable like this one:
VideoGuys Australia | Manfrotto MDEVE 755XB Video Tripod

but i'd like it in carbon fiber, i don't actually know what that centre stick adjustment is called but if i can find the above tripod or very similar in CF then i'll buy it!

hoping someone here can point me in the right direction, thanks!

Marty
Marty Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

after a few more hours of googling and asking about i may be able to answer my own question

the MDEFE tripods are the ones with the adjustable stick

and the one i think i want is the 756MF3

carbon legs, magnesium hardware and adjustable
Marty Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Something to be said for the stability of a metal tripod, however. I recently went through the process you are going through. I tried the carbon fibre tripods, but was unhappy when they moved around on me when initiating pans. Pushing against the fluid head has resistance, and you definitely don't want the tripod to move. (I am using a 4lb Panasonic HPX170)

I am using a tripod for a motorcycle trip and wanted ultra-light legs. But it doesn't work out well in practise. Or at least it didn't for me. You will know a lot more once you try a few. I ended up spending a grand on a nice Manfrotto head and legs and am satisfied with the choice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads