Miller DS5 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 8th, 2002, 01:25 AM   #31
Outer Circle

Funny. When I e-mail http://www.cameraaction.com.au - they reply in 30 minutes or less. I have a link to a clock on my website. It can be handy!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2002, 10:16 PM   #32
Outer Circle

I'm going to go with these guys, in January. The prices quoted are in Australian Dollars.

http://www.tasmanav.com.au

Re: enquiry re a Miller DS5 tripod head.

Tasman AV is the Victoria & Tasmania representative for AV Central, the premium dealer network for Sony professional and Miller tripods / accessories.

The DS 5 tripod head RRP: $770.00

DS5 w/ single stage Aluminium legs RRP: $990.00

DS5 w/ legs, cordura case & mid level spreader RRP: $1095.00

Robert McKenzie

Manager
Broadcast & Professional Sales
Tasman AV
Tel: 03 9416 2255
Fax: 03 9419 7041
Email: production@tasmanav.com.au

$1095 Australian is less than $600 US. Of course, there is shipping cost, but at that price, well, you just can't beat that in Canada and the USA.
Old December 10th, 2002, 08:17 AM   #33
Major Player

Prices for DS10 and DS20

I followed up with Tasman as well, here are the prices:

DS10 Models: 10lbs load

828 Kit - single stage aluminum, mid-spreader, feet, pan handle, strap, soft case. - $1353.00 (AUS Dollars)

832 Kit - two-stage aluminum, mid-spreader, feet, pan handle, strap, soft case. - $1650.00 (AUS Dollars)

DS20 Models: 20 lbs load

842 Kit - single stage aluminum, mid-spreader, feet, pan handle, strap, soft case. - $1635.00 (AUS Dollars)

850 Kit - two-stage carbon fibre, mid spreader, feet, pan handle, strap, softcase. - $1830.00 (AUS Dollars)

I'll add Freight charges when Robert (salesrep) gets back to me. I'll also inquire about a group buy discount incase there's an interest from anyone else.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 10:13 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Andrew-
have you gotten a setup yet from them? I'm looking at going through them too for an 850 kit. did they ever get back to you with shipping?
Old January 4th, 2003, 11:12 PM   #35
Outer Circle

Just want to add..., Millers are about 15 to even 20% cheaper in Canada.

http://www.leoscamera.com is the Canadian distr., and also a dealer.

But "Down-Under" it's almost 1/2 price compared with the Canadian price---taking into consideration the lower Aussie Dollar.
Old January 6th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #36
Major Player

If Leos is the distributer and reseller, you'd think they'd list Miller on the web site... I do believe you though.

Matt - no, I have not received an answer regarding shipping. I'll shoot another email off today.
Old March 8th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #37
Major Player

Any followup on this, especially shipping? I'm quite interested to know.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 02:35 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Miller DS-5 impressions

I'd just like to point out that I got a Miller DS-5 the other day and WOW! This thing is incredible. Pans, tilts, everything.... so incredibly smooth. The attention to detail is amazing and build quality is A++. This is my first tripod so sadly i cannot compare it to anything else, but I am extremely satisfied with this one. I own a DVX100 and strongly urge you to invest some cash in this thing; you wont regret it!
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #39
Wrangler

Congratulations on the purchase Dan, you're gonna love the DS-5. Unlike you, I used a Manfrotto 501 head for several years before getting my DS-5. The first time I used it my comment was the same.... "WOW"

It really is a huge upgrade from the less expensive Bogen/Manfrotto heads, but of course one would expect an $800 tripod to be a big improvement over a $250 tripod...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:22 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Miller DS5 Disappointment -- Operator Error?

I am a newbie when it comes to video. I used to be into still photography years ago, even worked in a camera shop. Tripods for still work are not very demanding and are really easy to understand but I am finding that video is a completely new ballgame.

A few short weeks ago, I started with set of Bogen 3051 legs and a 3130 head. The head did not balance with my VX2100 and the friction knobs had to be cranked down real tight to keep the cam from moving. Then, of course, the tilts were too stiff.

So, I traded the 3130 for a 501. The 501 had the stiction problems that I had read about. I decided that only a true fluid head would do. The least expensive true fluid head seemed to be the Cartoni Action Pro 10 or 11. I called B&H and asked them if this could be adapted to the 3051 legs and they said "No...well, yes....ah, no." I could not find info on websites as to whether or not the ball mount heads could be converted to a flat mount so I gave up on the idea. I decided to return the 3051 legs and get a fluid head kit.

Since I had read posts saying that the Cartoni AP head was not in the same league as their other heads (nor Miller DS5), I decided that I would get a DS5. I ordered the Solo pod with the DS5 head. I got it today.

The kit was not in perfect condition. The zipper was broken on the bag and the QR plate had been abused. The rubber strips on the plate had been a little chewed up as if a cam had been mounted on it and twisted. I will be returning this kit. Still, this is not the disappointing part!

I decided to go ahead and check out the pod, so I mounted my VX on it. I cannot seem to get the camera balanced. When I do a tilt, the cam will slowly wander off. If I balance it to tilt down without wandering, it wanders when I tilt up and vice-versa. It continues going, never stops. I can engage the tilt lock but it is not like the friction knob on the Bogen, it seems to be a tilt lock only. There is not a lot of travel and variation.

In addition to that, there is backlash. Tilt up, let go and the camera rebounds in a downward direction (and vice-versa). The same thing happens with a pan. Pan left, let go, the cam rebounds to the right (and vice-versa). I tried holding the position for a couple of seconds before releasing the handle, hoping it would "settle-in" or something. Nope.

I thought Miller was not supposed to do this. Is this my fault? Tell me it is because I thought I was spending too much when I paid $400 for the Bogen kit. I thought I was *crazy* when I spent $1100 for the Solo kit. Do I have to spend $2000 on a Vinten to get a tripod that actually works as one would expect?
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:34 AM   #41
Outer Circle

The Miller DS5 head should not do this. Did you buy it used?
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:19 AM   #42
Warden

I'm not familiar with the Miller's, but are you adjusting the counter balance in any way? Most of the better heads (Vinten, Sachtler, Miller, O'Connor etc.) will have a control to adjust the amount of force the counter balance (usually a spring) will have. The Vinten Vision 3 even has replaceable springs so that the head can be adjusted for different weight cameras and cameras with different center of gravities.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:15 AM   #43
Wrangler

Jeff, the DS-5 doesn't have this sort of adjustment, I think you need to go up to a DS-10 for that. However I have never experienced a problem like Nick describes with my DS-5 and it's also very odd that it has the damage he mentions. Did it come from B&H? Was it used?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:17 AM   #44
Trustee

It sounds like it has been used, you might want to contact the retailer and explain ASAP.

Also, if it is a used item you might be stuck with it depending on where you bought it?

I own the DS-5 and I'm happy with it. It's not the greatest tripod in the world, but you can definately get things done with it and no one would know you didn't use the greatest.

Murph
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:53 AM   #45
Regular Crew

I bought this tripod as new from a reputable online dealer. I called them immediately after I got it and explained the problem. They were very understanding and will be exchanging it for me.

The kit appeared to be sealed in a Miller factory box. Other than the damage that I mentioned, everything else looked perfect, not even dusty. The zipper damage was very unusual. It has two pull tabs. One of the tabs looked like it had been cut off with wire cutters or something yet the bag itself looked absolutely new.

Now, what I am concerned about is that if I exchange it, I will still have the problems with the head that I discussed in my original post -- inability to balance it and backlash.

Frank says it is not characteristic of the DS5, do you agree or disagree?

Should I exchange it or just return it and get something else?

Thanks for your help, guys...
Nick Reed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads