Miller DS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 14th, 2002, 05:55 AM   #1
Outer Circle

Miller DS5

Does anyone have experience with the Miller DS5 system? Feedback? Thanks.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 07:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Well i have very limited experience with the ds10 system, and i think it is freaking fantastic for the money. I live in australia where they are made, and they are sure a hell of a lot cheaper than the imports (manfrotto ect.) here, and they are just fantastic to work with.

Nice and big, not bulky or heavy though, always feels solid and under control, the pan and tilt is very smooth if controlled by a good operator, and it comes together in seconds from bag to level to shooting.

kermie

ps. you didn't mention which camera you were going to use with it, i use an xl1s with it.
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 10:33 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Thanks. I'm going to try and take a look at one soon. I'm just using small hand-helds and 1 big SVHS unit. I know Millers are great for the money (unless you buy from the USA). I've only looked over some of their larger pods. The DS5 is meant for small cams.
Old November 14th, 2002, 10:49 PM   #4
Major Player

ds5 is meant for around 2.5kg of weigh ontop. the DS10 is for 5kg.

I prob could have got away with a DS5 but the prices are so close i just went the one up.

kermie
Old November 15th, 2002, 02:43 AM   #5
Outer Circle

I've got the catalog here, and it says the DS5 system is for small, hand-held cams up to VX2000 size. I'm going to try later today, to look and check the price.
Old November 15th, 2002, 09:05 PM   #6
Outer Circle

What are the prices in Australia (in AU Dollars) for these DS5 kits?

1) 825
2) 826
3) 822
Old November 15th, 2002, 10:49 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'll second Kermie's remarks. I've had a DS-10 with mid-level spreader for a year and think it's an excellent tripod/head for the XL1s and even the GL2. Quick set-up, easy to level, shoulder strap on legs for easy schlepping, well-designed soft case, relatively lightweight, smooth head drag adjustment, etc. The DS-10 was designed specifically with the XL1s in mind.

Since Miller reduced their prices (right after I bought mine, thank you very much) the DS series became among the best values in their class.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2002, 11:36 PM   #8
Major Player

I have the #828 set, with the bag and all, it was around $1350 AUD, i am not sure how good that pricing is.

For the prices on the other sets you will have to wait until monday when i go into the store.

kermie
Old November 16th, 2002, 02:14 AM   #9
Outer Circle

Considering currency exchange, that's about 1/2 the cost from what the Canadian Distributer's retail price is. I just got the local prices today. So I'll have to maybe consider buying from Australia, or just forgetting the whole thing.

No to get some AU quotes....

Thanks!
Old November 16th, 2002, 02:27 AM   #10
Major Player

Frank if can get you intouch with the people i got it off, maybe u could get a ds10 #828 set for a good price i would buy that and future proof yourself a bit if u want a heavier camera in the future. A good tripod is a life investment.

kermie
Old November 16th, 2002, 04:14 AM   #11
Outer Circle

I'm going to do that. But what I think I'm going to do exactly, is order the head only, from Australia. In Canada, most of the money is with this head, not the legs, spreader, strap and case. This way the shipping costs to Vancouver will be a lot cheaper.
Old November 24th, 2002, 05:35 AM   #12
Outer Circle

Kermie, can you suggest an Australian Miller dealer for me? (with their e-mail/website). Thanks.
Old November 24th, 2002, 07:16 AM   #13
Major Player

The only one i know of for sure is where i purchased my camera,

www.tasmanav.com.au

they gave me that price too.

kermie
Old November 26th, 2002, 03:18 AM   #14
Outer Circle

Thanks. I'll go to that site right now to find their e-mail.
Old November 26th, 2002, 10:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Frank, I also need a tripod (still!), I'd be interested in purchasing with you, maybe they'd offer a discount if we managed to move a few tripods. Seems to be a solid system, maybe we can get a group buy? I live in Ontario, so each unit would have to be shipped seperately.

People - Christmas is coming, surely someone you love could use a Miller tripod system :D

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads