recommendations for fluid head for 3/8 inch head mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 21st, 2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

recommendations for fluid head for 3/8 inch head mount

I have the Manfrotto 028B (3246) legs with 503 head. I find that when zoomed all the way in, the head occasionally sticks (after it has been still for a while). I understand that Manfrotto doesn't have the best fluid heads compared to others like Sachtler, etc. But if I wish to replace just the head, I'd need to find something that fits the head mount on the legs, which is a 3/8 inch screw I believe (not a bowl).

Most of the better fluid heads I've noticed only fit 75mm bowls. Do you have any recommendations for better heads that fit a flat base 3/8th screw? I need something that supports about to about 8 lbs.

Thanks.
Gregory Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 05:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: recommendations for fluid head for 3/8 inch head mount

Look at the bottom of literally any head. It's flat. So it will or at least should fit literally any set of legs regardless of attachment type, bowl or not.
Many heads have a 3/8 inch threaded hole and a bowl is nothing more than a flat surface with a 3/8 inch stud that is attached to the tripod legs seperately and allows adjustment where as a mount directly to the center column of a tripod like the 3246 (BTW I have 2 sets of them and love 'em. 8 feet in the air if needed and strong like bull-sometimes I like better than my 525s) anyway when mounted to the center column no leveling adjustment.
Look at the bottom of the heads and the top surface of bowls you'll see what I mean.
Old May 21st, 2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for explaining. I don't know how much better the 503HDV is compared to the 503. I looked at Sachtler FSB4 and the head is $680, which is a big jump. Is the sachtler quick release plate compatible with Manfrotto? (I notice Sachter is longer, but don't know about width). If I do get Sachtler, I'd need a quick release on my monopod and glidecam, and don't know if Sachtler sells that separately.
Gregory Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

503HDV vs 503...don't waste the money. Better off with the 504, which while I know there are people here who despise Manfrotto and pan anything they make I challenge them to find another head IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE that will do the job as well. Please keep in mind that YOUR budget is the first thing you have to look at, then the work requirements you need. That is how one makes an intelligent decision about gear. We ALL want the $4000 tripod head but what do we actually need for the requirements of the work we are doing? Perhaps not.

If you're doing auto racing trying to follow a car the turns at 170mph a 504 head ain't gonna cut it but if you're doing weddings with virtually no movement then the 504 could be the right head for you. Also keeping in mind your budget if you have a certain dollar amount set aside and thats all you have and you can not for whatever reason adjust upward at that time but need the gear then you buy the best you can for the work you are doing for the money you have available.
If it were me and I had a limited budget and needed a decent head to take care of me and the work didn't require anything more I'd get the 504. In fact I have used them and find them to be many times better than the 503 and of course are well within most people budget and for the majority of the work I do, weddings, seminars, talking heads, they are more than sufficient.
Your money, your choice.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Good advice. I think I'm going to have to visit B&H and actually try these heads myself. I use the HMC-150 for things like weddings. When I'm fully zoomed in on a static subject, the head will stick a bit when I try to make a small adjustment.

Last edited by Gregory Lee; May 22nd, 2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: forgot to add
Gregory Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads