Tripod for DSLR and Medium Format at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 29th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Trustee

Tripod for DSLR and Medium Format

Hi. I am hoping somebody can help me with this:

I need a tripod for landscape photography/studio photography using my Mamiya RB67 (4kgs with everything) or Canon DSLR kit (photography and light video). Material is not important, though it will be used for exteriors mostly. I also don't care about the brand or country of make, as long as it works.

Maximum load capacity should be 6 kgs or more. It must be rock solid in all weather and terrain conditions.
I need both horizontal and 90 degree vertical ability (for the DSLR). I'll also need to tilt the camera for occasional shots.
I am not interested in Macro photography.
I will be carrying it around, so lighter the better, and smaller when folded the better.
I can go with three-way head or ball head, doesn't really matter since I will have a lot of time to set up my shot. Sports or fast photography is not my thing.

Since I'm just an amateur, I don't want to spend a lot of money right off the bat. I need the cheapest possible system that is reliable and conforms to my specifications. If anyone can assist me in making my decision, I'll be grateful. Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Tripod for DSLR and Medium Format

Seriously should consider reading the forum more as well as using the "Search" function as this question gets asked and answered several times a week.

Sorry to sound like a D!*& but it is true.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Trustee

The problem with searching these forums is that everyone is suggesting tripods for video, which is overkill for your intentions. A heavy duty Bogen tripod with a 3 way panhead is sufficient for still photography. You don't need a fluid head.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Warren - that's what I've been looking at too.

Regrading searching on the forum - I couldn't find anything to match my exact requirements, hence the post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads