removed PH-368 from Videomate 607 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

removed PH-368 from Videomate 607

A couple of vice grips got the head removed from the Videomate 607. The legs broke but I wanted to keep the head because its actually very smooth. Now once I got it off, the bottom connection is not the typical screw/bolt connection as other tripod heads.

Does anyone else's PH-368 look like this? Or is there an adapter available?
Attached Thumbnails
removed PH-368 from Videomate 607-img_3226resize.jpg  
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: removed PH-368 from Videomate 607

Sorry to say, Gerald...........

You're screwed.

The camera support you're talking about is NOT a proper video support system and it looks like the sticks/ head connection is proprietry (and stuffed, to boot) added to which it's such a bottom feeder it doesn't even rank in any sphere where an adaptor (to what?) would even be commercially viable.

If you're shooting video, time to "get real" and go get a real video support system, else replace what you have with a new one (of the same) if you're so enamoured of it's performance.

Sorry to sound so harsh, and I don't have a "thing" about Velbon, heck, I have three of them for stills work (along with two Manfrottos and two Vintens for video), but for video? Nah. Been there, done that, saw the movie, got the T shirt and read the book - crap!

Just my PO, of course.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Gerald,

You can get a replacement PH-368 Head from B&H for $29 with 1/4" and 3/8" threads.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/152289-REG/Velbon_PH_368_PH_368_2_Way_Panhead.html
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I know, I got the replacement from B&H 5 months ago...But thanks anyway.
I cant believe how popular it got after the cheesycam post too. Its like no one believed me back then that it was a decent head.
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Sorry for being late. I was searching last night to see who else uses this head as I have found it very useful in some applications. I find things fall apart pretty quickly on cameras over about 6 pounds and its not very good for continuous shooting because there is snap-back at the end of pans when tripod mounted and the lack of good friction controls and counterbalance is limiting. They work great for dolly applications, mono-pods and such. I have one mounted on a shoulder rig that works unbelievably well. Being able to smoothly pan and tilt independently from my body is great.

Once again, not a good substitute for good sticks and a high end head for serious tripod work, but it has incredibly smooth pan and tilt for the money with ultra-light and light weight cameras.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads