Cartoni Focus HD Head - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old September 3rd, 2016, 05:37 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Cartoni Focus HD Head

Well, after a few more days of scouring forums and the wider web, it looks like I'll have to pull the trigger blind on this one!

If I can find the time I might even do a proper write up on it here once it arrives, for the benefit of the next guy.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 12:37 AM   #17
Trustee

Re: Cartoni Focus HD Head

I've had the Cartoni Focus 8 sitting around my house for a week now but my camera is currently in at Sony's service centre for maintenance. So while I can't comment on it's use in the field, I do have some comments on the build quality:

It is much lighter than my Manfrotto 502/546 combo but also feels a lot sturdier. No wobble at all throughout the rig even when fully extended - that is probably owing to the single stage legs, which I love. They don't pack down as short or extend as tall as most 2-stage sets, but they feel rock solid and are very quick to set up. The locking clamps are excellent and use a great double-latch system - very easy to operate with one hand. Overall it feels a lot nicer out of the box than any other tripod I've owned (most recently the Manfrotto as well as a Miller DS10 Solo)

Quick testing with a longer lens (Sigma 150-500mm) and A7s seems smooth, in particular on diagonal (ie combined pan & tilt) moves. Much better than the Manfrotto 502/504 or the Miller DS10/DS20, which are the closest in price range and, due to the limited distributors for other brands, probably the most prevalent systems in Australia for low & mid-range professional use. I'm looking forward to testing it out properly with my fully rigged FS700 in a working situation. I've got no idea what to expect for durability though, which is where the Miller's in particular have impressed me in the past.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads