Cartoni Focus HD Head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cartoni Focus HD Head

Just picked up a Cartoni Focus HD head to replace a Manfrotto 503hdv. Wow. Much smoother moves. Heavier, but worth it.The only thing I am having trouble getting used to is putting the camera plate on the head. It really is a front loading slider plate that only goes half way in. You can slide it in from rear, but can't seat it well, because of the small screw that is designed to keep the plate from going in one side and sliding out the other. I find this load in difficult. I much prefer the Manfotto slide-in design or the Sachtler which just pops into place. The balancing system on the head is super for light or heavy cameras.I have matted the head to Manfrotto 536 sticks. Nice.
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Cartoni Focus HD Head

I have a Cartoni Focus (No HD) and it is not a sliding mount. I'd be surprised they switched to a sliding mount. On my head, I fully cock the lever, put the edge of the plate opposite the lever side into the head and then drop the other side down onto the head. It then locks.

When I read the instructions for your head, it sounds similar:
http://www.cartoni.com/web/files/man...%20English.pdf

Last edited by Les Wilson; August 5th, 2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: typo
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Les, I do believe you are correct...........

It would appear to be a side/ drop load head and not a slot load, which is why Jeremy is having so much trouble.

The slide lock lever would appear to act as both slide lock & plate release, as there's no mention of an eject/ release mechanism anywhere.

If that is the case, Jeremy, simply undoing the slide lock lever completely should allow the camera and slide plate to be lifted vertically clear of the head, no sliding required.

Do in reverse to install back onto head.

If that's not the case, there's something wierd going on.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode..................

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow! You are so right. The head, though new, did not come with any documentation, so I made an assumption that it was a slide-in load. Now that I know how to load it, it works beautifully Thanks.
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

hi jeremy, i wanted to ask you how you like to head so far. this is what i am looking at for a full af100 rig. i am on a 501 right no so you could imagine, though i want to get a head that will last me a coupe years throughout different setups. thanks for your input.
Daniel Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have a Cartoni Delta 601 kit (head and legs for sale with a travel case. Not a bag but a hard case. This unit is like brand new--$3750 plus FREE shipping to anywhere in CONUS. It's a hell of a unit, might be too much kit for the camera though.
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks don, that is an amazing kit, but well over what i am looking to spend right now unfortunately. it would be perfect as i am trying to future proof myself a bit id like to buy something i can use on heavier cameras, not just mine. im around the 1000 mark, 1500 if it is a good deal and worth it.
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi, Daniel..................

Would you care to share the approximate weight/ cog of the kit you're using now and what you might (maybe) expect to use in the future?

Bit hard to make any suggestions without that information.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes of course, sorry about that. I have 350 manfrotto sticks now that will be used with the head. The main camera will be an af100 full rig with mattebox, ff, rails, cinearm/monitor setup. I havent weighed ot yet but my guess if around 15lbs. Future use could f3 kits, arrinsr2 kits; around that. Would like to keep the 100mm ball as well. I was looking at the 509hd besides this one, but cant help but feel they are a lower build quality. I have noticed that with manfrottos new stuff, legs for sure have suffered.

Thanks for the help!
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Daniel,

I like the head. it is much smoother than 503hdv. It is somewhat more difficult to balance, but once balanced is great. I have used a Sony EX1R on it and have also used a Panasonic af100 in light mode. Both are good fits, different weights, which means rebalancing somewhat each time. It is heavier than the 503hdv, if that is a consideration.
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I've had the pleasure of using both the 504 and 509 heads and frankly they are miles ahead of the 501/503. The 509 is actually a head that can carry more camera than the 504, that's why they make 2 different heads. For the cameras you mentioned I think the 509 might even be too much head. ...the 504HD head is rated up to 16.5 pounds and the 509 is up to 29 pounds. Put something about 8 pounds on a head rated for 29 and while it can be balanced you'd probably be better off with the 504 which I have and found it to be a very nice head and all I need for the type of work I do. I've run 6 pound rigs and 16 pound rigs on it and it pans and tilts quite well.
Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
Old August 11th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Regular Crew

thanks guys, i ended up going for the 509. Its ordered so i'll have to see when it comes in. I dont have the means of going into the $2000+ area of heads, nor would i use them to their full extent. I think this will fit just right. oh, and thanks for letting me borrow your thread jeremy=].
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #13
New Boot

Hi folk,
Just in case anyone is interested we have a Cartoni Focus HD fluid head with pan bar and camera plate here. Brand new with a full 5 year factory warranty, for sale $800US plus freight. We have moved out of sales and only do authorized support equipment repairs and manufacturing now.
Ian Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:59 PM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Cole View Post
Wow! You are so right. The head, though new, did not come with any documentation, so I made an assumption that it was a slide-in load. Now that I know how to load it, it works beautifully Thanks.
Hi Jeremy,

Here's a copy of the user manual for the Cartoni Focus HD head :)

Best regards,

Ian.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Focus-HD-user-manual.pdf (703.6 KB, 331 views)
Ian Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 07:04 PM   #15
Trustee

Anybody here ever used the Cartoni Focus 8? I've not been able to find any reliable reviews online for it at all. Other options in my price range are the Sachtler Ace L or the Miller DS10. I like the Cartoni for it's slightly higher load capacity (8kgs vs 6kg & 5kg respectively), single stage legs, and Manfrotto 501 plate compatibility, but I am hesitant to purchase it without reading any reviews.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads