Vision Blue First Look - Delivered Today at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Vision Blue First Look - Delivered Today

Greetings to all;

I just finished un-boxing my new Vision Blue tripod. As I sit typing, it's next to me begging to be taken out and played with. I have to say, the little 'blue button' has been pushed more times than I'd like to admit. The bubble level is so cool, illuminated, very brightly I might add, by the 'Vision Blue' LED. It makes me smile. Since this is my first 'real' video tripod, getting use to it's idiosyncrasies will take a little time, but every tripod I've owned over the years required getting comfortable with it's 'manual of arms'. I won't try to 'review' the tripod, Chris Soucy has already done a great job of that, he doesn't need my hackneyed attempts muddying the water.

However, I will give you my first impressions. The very first thing I noticed after opening the box is the padded tripod case. I removed the tripod and head, surprisingly didn't immediately start playing with the tripod and head, rather, I spent the first 5-minutes inspecting the padded case. The more I look at it, the more impressed I am at the 'build quality'. To me this says a lot about the quality of the overall system. If Vinten is willing to make the extra effort to provide a very functional and well-made padded case, then chances are, they will spend the time and effort making the fluid head and sticks as good, or better.

I finally got around to looking at the tripod and head, for a 'small form factor camera tripod', the first word that comes to mind is substantial'. Once a camera is attached you'll know you've got a solid piece of equipment in your hands, and at the end of the day, I'm sure you'll know you've done a day's work. Fully extended, the tripod is taller then I am (6'). It seems steady and solid, but I'm only in my Living Room, so I certainly am not stressing the design, yet.

Overall, I'm very pleased with with my purchase, and thankful to all the help provided by the members of DVinfo.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Vision Blue First Look - Delivered Today

Congrats on the new purchase. The Vision blue is one of the tripods I'm interested in. Can I ask what camera you'll be using this with. I'm looking at the Sony FS100 to go along with it, but worry the camera might be too heavy once loaded with all the suport gear.

Edit

I just answered my own question by reading your other thread.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Congratulations James .. one thing you might consider doing.

Once you establish your 'comfortable' tripod working height, use a non permanent marker to mark the position of the length of each leg. That makes it quicker and easier to set up the rig.

After a period of using it, go over or revise those marks with a permanent marker.

Cheers.
Old October 25th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff

I've done the calculations and the standard configuration of the NEX-FS100EK i.e. lens, body, eyecup, handle, battery etc is 2.76kg and I've estimated that the CofG will be about 65mm so it should balance perfectly through the full range of tilt. When you start adding things like a Matte box, light etc. it will raise the mass and affect the CofG so it may well fall outside the perfect balance range of Vision blue and up into the range of Vision 3AS. I suggest that you work out the maximum weight and estimate the CofG affect before you part with your hard earned cash. As much as id like you to own a Vision blue, you need to own something that you are completely happy with. You can always try it before you decide. Happy to help if I can.
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Jeff Troiano...you got your answer from the 'horses mouth', so to speak. Mr. Harmon is the expert in these cases.

To answer your question, I'll be using my new VB with a Sony HXR-NX5U.

Regards,

J.
Old October 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Trustee

One thing that people seem to overlook is the minimum payload for a tripod. If your tripod is rated 2kg-9kg (4-18lbs), then if your camera is 1kg or 2 lbs, you're going to have a hard time balancing it.

I've said this until I'm (Vision) blue in the face before. People getting Libec LS38 tripods, rated 4kg/8lbs plus, and using them with tiny cameras. Some people even think the "return to the horizontal" is a positive feature!

Aaaaagh!

I count myself lucky that my NX70 just tips the lower weight range of the Vision Blue, otherwise my life would be a lot less happy.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Mike...Yup! I had to consider the 'minimum' of the VB is 2.1kg (4.62lb).

Regards,

J.
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #8
Trustee

Another thing... I'm nor sure I subscribe to the "favourite height" idea for a tripod. I think each shot should be planned first, and the tripod raised to the appropriate height, not using the same height for every shot.

Sometimes I shoot really low, sometimes really high... of course, sometimes that won't matter, or you won't have time for it, depending on your use.
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Mike...in a former life (stills photog) I rarely, if ever, used the same set-up, unless in a studio portrait scenario, and even then, all people are not the same size.

I think, by the time I reach the 'upper limits' of the Vision Blue, it will be time for a larger pan/tilt/tripod system.

In my experience (I sound like a 'boot Ensign', don't I?), at least for 'stills', I try not to extend the tripod to it's full extension. I found, no matter how good the tripod system is, it introduces a slight tremor to the image. I don't know if that translates to video capture, but with stills, especially landscapes, the slight 'softness' imparted to the image was noticeable and clients want crisp as crackers for image reproduction.

Just my $0.02, YMMV.

J.
Old October 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #10
Trustee

James,

The VB's Poziloc legs are excellent at full extension, and should be able to withstand anything you can throw at it (within reason). They're certainly more stable than any Libec or similarly-priced Sachtler or Manfrotto, in my opinion.

If you flip the switch in the spreader and go "extra high", you do lose a bit of stability (as pointed out in Mr Soucy's reivew), but it has got me out of a hole a few times when I just needed the extra few inches.

That's the major difference between these sorts of tripods and more basic video or stills tripods, the stability is so much more important, because you're not just setting up a shot and standing back, it has to withstant pans/tilts and a bit of abuse.
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Major Player

Mike...it's a 'bold new world' for me, so I'll give a try.

Thanks,

J.
Old October 27th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #12
Inner Circle

James.................

Just put it through the wringer and see what comes out the other side, don't hold back, that's a Pro support system you have there, give it heaps.

No quarter, my friend, it's a tool, nothing more. Hammer it till the pips squeak (if they ever do) and report back.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #13
Major Player

Chris...no worries, mate! I've got an old Gitzo G1325 Mk. II CF (a real one, made in France), that has been up and down the Smokey Mountains a few times and looks it. Heh, heh! Of course, I was a younger man back then.

BTW, I took the little 'rubber booties' off the VB because they get in the way, as you pointed out in your review. My only concern is the soil in FL has a high salinity value, so I'll have to be sure to rinse off the 'ground spikes' well after using.

Regards,

J.
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
Another thing... I'm nor sure I subscribe to the "favourite height" idea for a tripod. I think each shot should be planned first, and the tripod raised to the appropriate height, not using the same height for every shot.

Sometimes I shoot really low, sometimes really high... of course, sometimes that won't matter, or you won't have time for it, depending on your use.
Mike that's right .. there's many uses for tripod height cues, the comfortable working height is for quick run and gun setups. If you find another height used regularly, mark that one.

Shooting to a script or storyboard, the tripod heights can be decided and marked in rehearsals and plotted on the script. Saves time and guesswork.

Cheers.
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Allan... excellent point. I'm 'thinking' like a 'stills photog', this will take a little time to re-program. If you're creating a small film or an advertising spot, you want repeatable set-ups. It makes sense to 'document', even 'story board' your planned shoot. Of course, have enough latitude in the 'plan' to embrace the 'happy accidents'.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads