Diffculty attaching plate to Sachtler FSB-4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Diffculty attaching plate to Sachtler FSB-4

Okay I just got this Tripod this morning so User Error is big possibility here, but I am really having a hard time getting the plate to slide on to the Sachtler FSB-4 that just arrived from B&H.

I have the red side lock screw loosened and the red release button pushed in, but the plate has a lot of problems sliding to place, I really have to wiggle and force it to make it happen and that does not seem right. I have the arrow on the plate in the right direction and all that...

Is there a defect or a learning curve I am looking at here?
Jeff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Diffculty attaching plate to Sachtler FSB-4

Jeff,

Is this this the small touch & go plate, or the larger full size plate?

I think it's a side-load plate rather than something you slide in from the end of the tripod - i.e. you line up the long edge of the plate at the right hand side of your camera into the right hand edge fo the tripod slot, and then bring the left hand slide down into the tripod.

This is only a guess though, from my past Sachtler experiences. You may need to post pictures!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have the fsb4. It's a side mount not a slide. That's an advantage in my book. Basiclly you arm the latch mechanism then drop the right edge on he head first then come down as mike described. Once it's on you can release it and slide it to balance it without concern it will slide out.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This is a slide mount (from the back I guess). Here are some pictures. I purchased an extra plate, so trying that now.
Attached Thumbnails
Diffculty attaching plate to Sachtler FSB-4-photo.jpg   Diffculty attaching plate to Sachtler FSB-4-photo-1-.jpg  

Old November 18th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Jeff, it looks like you are trying to mount the plate from the rear of the head. You need to be mounting it from the side.

Standing behind your tripod, you align the plate on top of the tripod, and click it in, right hand side first, then left hand side. It looks like you are trying to slide it in from the rear of the head, which isn't how these are meant to work.

(Still an off-chance I am missing something here!).
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Your right, I am trying to slide it in from the back. Ugh, how embarrassing.

Works great, love it now. Thanks!
Old November 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You're not the first, Jeff, and you won't be the last. It happens more often than you'd think.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Trustee

Jeff,

No worries - it's one of those things, it seems odd at first. But it is a truly excellent mechanism, once you get used to it. I'm just happy for you that it wasn't a problem with the tripod.

I had it on my Vinten Pro-6HDV a few years back, and it was great. My Vision Blue is rear-load, which is just about the only think I don't like about it.

Now, enjoy your new toy!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads