Gitzo 1325 Mk. II CF and Sachtler 4588 75 CF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 29th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Gitzo 1325 Mk. II CF and Sachtler 4588 75 CF

I was curious, so I decided to weigh both tripods without the FSB 8 Fluid-Head. I was surprised to find my Sachtler weighs-in at ~5lbs 10.1oz and my old Gitzo weighs 4lbs 6.8oz. I've modified my Gitzo by purchasing a p/n GS5320V75, which allows series 3-4-5 tripods to be used with a 75mm 'bowl' head. My old Gitzo has been up and down the Smoky Mountains several times while I was schlepping around a Rollei 6008i 2-1/4" film camera along with several lenses with big (heavy) glass. It a very sturdy tripod, and being Carbon Fiber, it doesn't transmit vibrations as easily as say aluminium tripods. It's now been relegated to my backup tripod. I still like my Gitzo and I think it's a good alternative to the Sachtler.

JMHO, YMMV.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Gitzo 1325 Mk. II CF and Sachtler 4588 75 CF

Even though I love my 4588, I still prefer simple CF twist & lock legs for run and gun and uneven terrain. 4588 is too bulky, spreader gets in the way, and has more parts that can get finicky.

But to each his own.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Gitzo 1325 Mk. II CF and Sachtler 4588 75 CF

Peter...our U.K. 'cousins' will say, "Horses, for courses.". In general, I agree about the 'fiddley' bits on the 4588. There have been numerous threads regarding it's peculiarities. Chris Soucy has done good work on reviewing several of the more popular tripod systems.

At this point, my 'kit' includes both. I also have an extendable 'center column' for my Gitzo with a flat stage, so I think I've got the waterfront covered. At least until I see something else shiny. Heh, heh!

Be good to yourself.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads