Miller Arrow 25? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 7th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Miller Arrow 25?

Hi guys,

I've been trying to find a bit more information on the net about the Arrow 25, but haven't had any success. I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with it? And if anyone would be able to share their thoughts as to how it compares with Miller's similarly specced Compass 25?

I had a Compass 20 on rental for a shoot last week and was hugely impressed with it, so I've decided to do the patriotic thing and buy local - but I'm just a little unsure as to how the two Miller '25' options compare.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Miller Arrow 25?

Hi Mark, I've got the Compass 20 on CF Solo sticks and love it. I got mine from the 2nd prod run and I've just had it serviced free,
before the 3yr warranty ran out.

Don't know about that Arrow, maybe you should try before you buy.

They've got a new Skyline 70 rig ..

Tripods - Fluid Heads - Tripod Fluid Head - Miller Camera Support

Cheers.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Allan,

I was hugely impressed with the Compass too, I spoke to Miller and they said that the Compass and Arrow 25 are actually the same internally, the Arrow simply has a more ergonomic (and hence more expensive) housing.

It's taken me a week of throwing my money at CVP in the UK to get them to take an order for me (and cost me an extra $100 as the AUD currency rate has fallen :( ), but I finally managed to get them to take my damn money around midnight last night and I now have an Arrow 25 on the way!

Looking forward to seeing how it performs.
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Um, Mark...........

Why would you (living in Australia) be buying an Australian made support system from the UK?

This I really want to hear, 'cos it's gotta be good, or have I missed something with this?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Mark .. ??? me to, didn't Lemac come to the party, I bet if you'd run your price past them they'd have met it .. and no int. freight.
It'd be a matter of pride with them.

Anyhow, many times I've found a cheaper price on something .. stuff it, enjoy your Arrow, make a point with it and aim true! :)

Cheers.
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Um, Mark...........

Why would you (living in Australia) be buying an Australian made support system from the UK?

This I really want to hear, 'cos it's gotta be good, or have I missed something with this?

CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Mark .. ??? me to, didn't Lemac come to the party, I bet if you'd run your price past them they'd have met it .. and no int. freight.
It'd be a matter of pride with them.

Anyhow, many times I've found a cheaper price on something .. stuff it, enjoy your Arrow, make a point with it and aim true! :)

Cheers.
Isn't it ridiculous? Believe me I know how silly the situation is. But not a single local store or dealer would get me one to test, none could come close to matching the price I could get it from the UK (even including the ridiculous shipping costs and GST on import) and Miller weren't willing to sell me one directly.

If a local shop had been willing to help me out, so I wouldn't have had to buy such an expensive piece of gear sight-unseen, then I would have happily bought locally (having that piece of mind is worth something in my book). But instead I got told straight up at every store I visited (and I visited all the main ones) that they would only order the tripod in if I bought it.

It's a matter of principle as far as I'm concerned, if local stores aren't going to offer me any help with a big purchase - what possible reason could I have to justify spending an extra 25% (and an expensive 25% at that) just to purchase it through them?

I'm well aware of the tough times our local suppliers are having at the moment with so many people purchasing online from overseas, but quite frankly if they can't respond to the situation better than this, well I'm not going to help them just for the hell of it.

Quite frankly, I think the fact that I couldn't get better sales support, pricing and service for an Australian-made product in Australia, than I could get from the UK is disgraceful. The system's broken, and I don't know how it's going to fix itself.

In the meantime though, I intend to enjoy my Australian-made tripod. And will take some comfort at least, in the fact that most of the money is still ending up back in Australia (albeit via Old Blighty). The fact that I get to pair it with an Australian microphone (from Rode) and soon an Australian camera too (from Blackmagic) makes me a little warm and fuzzy on the inside.
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Probably the same reason why I bought my Vinten from OS.

Got treated with contempt by majority of the Australian Miller and Vinten dealers I dealt with, as I tossed up between 2 different Miller options and the VB, and (6 weeks later) am still waiting for quotes from my local dealer...

Not only that, but they want way too much, even for the locally made Miller stuff.

These days we, as consumers, do have alternative options. So we should be treated as such. I'm happy to pay a bit more to get it locally if I get the service and support.
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads