PMW 320/350 Tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 18th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Tourist

PMW 320/350 Tripod

Hi all,

I would like to have some suggestions for a tripod under $1200 for this camera.

Have read some good reviews about Manfrotto 504HD with 546BK legs, but all the reviews just talk about lighter cameras and DSLRs.

May I have some opinions about this please?
Thanks
Miguel Reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: PMW 320/350 Tripod

The Manfrotto 504 HD is not up to the job. I used to have one, and the PMW320 is too heavy for this head in my opinion. I bought a heavier Libec instead.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Tourist

wow Luc, that was fast lol

what Libec did you bought?
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the PMW-350 and i bought this one :Cartoni Gamma Head - 100mm Ball :: 100mm Fluid Heads :: Tripod Heads :: Tripod Heads & Accessories :: Tripods, Stabilizers & Support :: Equipment Sales :: AbelCine

if you are interested i have another one exactly the same but used and in perfect working condition, just make an offer!! :-)

Samer
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Major Player

I have the RH45 head and the RT40B legs, and I'm quite satisfied with it, but when the weather is windy, the tripod is still not steady enough. But that is in exceptional circumstances, I wonder if any platform - except perhaps a concrete one - would do...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Reis View Post
Hi all,

I would like to have some suggestions for a tripod under $1200 for this camera.

Have read some good reviews about Manfrotto 504HD with 546BK legs, but all the reviews just talk about lighter cameras and DSLRs.

May I have some opinions about this please?
Thanks
Cheap and tripod are contradictory terms.. like a chocolate fire guard or military intelligence ... will be a total waste of money..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have to agree strongly with Robin.

You're not going to get anything worthwhile, new, for that amount of money.

If you're stuck at that price point look for something used.

Putting a camera that size on a second rate tripod only hurts the investment you made in a larger camera.
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I've got a similar sized camera on a Libec H55 head and it only just copes, I use an older Vinten head and legs I got on ebay - and frankly it's a zillion times better. The head can be properly adjusted so the camera remains at whatever angle you leave it at - without putting on the brakes. The Libec is ok over a smallish range, but tilt up or down and it is just not accurate enough. Scour ebay for older bargains. I have a Manfrotto 502 and 504 and while they're great on tiny cameras, they are unsafe on big cameras. They're not designed for that kind of use.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #9
New Boot

For a reasonable priced support system look to the Manfrotto 509hd head with the 536 carbon fiber sticks.
It has a 100mm ball too. B&H has it for less than $1500.00. This is the unit I chose for my pmw 350. So far it has meet my needs & performs well. If money is not an issue, I am a vinten fan, but now we are pushing $6000.00. Remember that these sticks will last for 20 years or more, my 2 cents of advice.
Paul DeBaets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #10
Tourist

Thank you all for your support.

I'm an experienced cameraman, work on a national tv, and there we use of course Vinten, Sachler, etc.

The problem is that I want a tripod for personal use, and dont want spend $3000 or $4000. But neither me or my colleagues there, know that much about low entry models... we never used it... That's why I'm asking for your help, and experience, to find maybe... nothing... lol

Thanks for the Manfrotto 509 tip! I'm looking at this one too.

How about Cartoni Focus HD?
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Inner Circle

What about the new Vinten Vision Blue 5. It can take up to 12Kg and is a proper pro tripod. At the very top of your price range but worth the investment. EDIT: Never mind, got my prices muddled. The VB 5 is going to be too expensive.
Old October 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I recently used a 509 on 546 legs with a pmw350. It held up well. As well as a 6 or 8 thousand dollar Sachtler? no, but it did the job without any shake rattle or roll. It held in place without having to, as was said, put the brakes on and kept the camera where I wanted it, except for the one time I accidently moved my hand which was killing me and moved the pan handle. Operater, wake up! ;-)
I think for the money it's a good setup.
The other night I ran the only camera at a big corporate gig with a bunch of Hollywood B listers, a couple of A listers and a big name band all for Imag. I was on a DXC30 and had Sachtler legs with a 30 head. It took 2 of us to get it out of the case and onto the spiderpod. Not something I'd want to carry around all day but it certainly did the job.
Old October 20th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #13
Major Player

Miguel, did you receive my email about a Vinten Vision 6 head?
Please let me know.
Thanks, Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads