Fluid Tripod Recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 27th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Fluid Tripod Recommendation

Currently I'm using Manfrotto Photo Tripod Head and Legs; similar to the one linked.
3-Way Aluminum Photo Video Head With QR 200PL-14 Plate 391RC2 - Three Way | Manfrotto

I'm looking to upgrade to a basic Video Tripod and Head (bowl sticks and fluid head I believe are the proper terms). Now I know that Manfrotto also sells video gear, but I'm wondering if they are a good brand to go with compared to other products on the market.

Budget wise I'm not looking to break the bank and would like to stay under $1000 for the head + sticks. Weight wise I would be looking to put a large DSLR and full ENG rig on it at some point.
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Fluid Tripod Recommendation

Only two choices: Sachtler or Vinten, everything else is just toys (IMHO).

Fire mails to:

Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com

She's the Sachtler Worldwide Product Manager. Tell her the current and expected weight and COG (centre of gravity, if known) of your gear, ask what she'd recommend and get her to send you her choice for a free trial.

Andrew.Butler@VitecGroup.com

He's the Vinten version of Barbara, albeit with a sex change. Do the same with him. Don't expect a blistering response as last I heard he was swanning around South America drumming up business, but he's still contactable.

He can, just like Barbara, also arrange a freebie test drive at your home, yes, FREE!

Don't tell Babs "Chris" sent you else she'll possibly spit the dummy, we're not exactly bosom buddies, but she's a good stick for all that, and both of them really know their stuff.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Fluid Tripod Recommendation

Be sure to read Chris' tripod reviews in the ARTICLES section as you shop. They are an excellent tutorial on comparing features.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads