Manfrotto now have true fluid head? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 12th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Manfrotto now have true fluid head?

At 1:50
" What we did is we took our older design of 501 and 503 with friction pan in them and completely scrap that from our entire line of professional video head and are now dealing with only ball bearing and fluid cartridges"

Would love to see a CS review of this when it comes out.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Manfrotto now have true fluid head?

I'm sure that this statement applies to all of the new "bridge" range of Manfrotto heads.

Chris reviewed the 504hd head here:
Review: Manfrotto 504HD/ 546GBK Video Support System at DV Info Net

I assumed that it was the same technology across all their range, just with different payloads and counterbalance or drag features.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Fluid head maybe.

Shame about the cubic ball bearings and other gremlins.

Can't see anyone at Manfrotto addressing a parcel to me any time soon.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Fluid head maybe.

Shame about the cubic ball bearings and other gremlins.

Can't see anyone at Manfrotto addressing a parcel to me any time soon.

CS
So will you not be reviewing it then? Maybe you can try contacting B&H. Can you elaborate on "cubic ball bearings and other gremlins"?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Read that review I did of the 504, noisiest bearings I've ever experienced and, well, the review pretty well nails all the others.

As for approaching re-sellers for review gear, the problem is the re-seller takes the hit on all the costs, to no advantage whatsoever for them. As I don't make my living from doing reviews and thus don't expect nor accept payment in any form, I'm possibly (one of) the most honest reviewers out there, and quite often the truth hurts, especially on the balance sheet.

Vinten and Sachtler run their review gear from their respective head offices, so re-sellers are not involved.

No other support manufacturer runs the necessary business model, plus I haven't exactly endeared myself to either Manfrotto or Libec and the Chinese knock off merchants don't want to know, probably for good reasons.

Come to think of it, I don't think I'm exactly flavour of the month with Sachtler either, but Vinten takes my ribbing with pretty good grace.

Such is life.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads