Portable/travel tripod/head for the BMPCC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:31 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Portable/travel tripod/head for the BMPCC

G'day Sticks.

Certainly did say NZ. It's for my day job, so taking a little video kit for some hobby stuff, nothing big.

My last workshop is in Dunedin so perhaps I can buy you a beer on the evening of Friday May 30?

Cheers,
Ryan
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
A friend has the Safari, it's much bigger and heavier than the 190 or 055, but almost as light including head and bag. Build quality of the head looks similar to the Fancier style that are cheap on ebay.
The head on the Safari is exactly the same one on the Fancier/Weifeng, everything is the same between my WF717 and the Safari.

My Miller DS5 is much smoother but a lot heavier and doesn't fold down as small.

I've had my Safari for about 3 years, and sure it's cheap but it's holding up well for weekend use with my GH2 and GH3 + 100-300.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for posting that article Ryan. Despite the reports you referred to, I'm going to give the Gitzo GT1542T a try. Still uncertain about a head. I used to have the manfrotto 701 but didn't care for it.

Not high quality but I'm going to see what this is like. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/903499-REG/varavon_vasc_103hd_103hd_fluid_video_head.html
I did read one review that said it was good value for the cost.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
Not high quality but I'm going to see what this is like. Varavon 103HD Fluid Video Head VASC-103HD B&H Photo Video

I did read one review that said it was good value for the cost.
This is the same head as the Fancier/Weifeng/E-Image/Safari without the bowl and a slightly different plate. You'll find the same thing under several names on Ebay.
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #20
Major Player

Kin, you say your Safari is holding up well which I take as a comment that it hasn't started to fall apart since you've had it. What would you say about the smoothness of pans and tilts? Could it take a GH3 with a larger lens, the sigma 18-35 for example. A little longer physically and .64 lbs. heavier.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967345-REG/sigma_18_35mm_f1_8_dc_hsm.html
Old April 4th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #21
Major Player

The problem with the 18-35/1.8 will be balance, but weight wise, no problem, I've used it with my Sigma 50-500 which has a dedicated tripod mount.

Smoothness differs a fair bit btwn winter and summer (it's not a true fluid head). At subzero temps, it's quite stiff for pans and tilts, and benefits from more weight being on the head.

In warmer weather, it's quite a bit better.

There's little adjustment available for pan's, pretty well all or nothing (just a friction screw). The tilt adjustment is more flexible with variable drag.

The part that wearing the most is probably the adjustable bowl, it's not particular smooth to begin with. Just have to twist a bit harder.
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #22
Major Player

The head's adjustable mounting plate along with a well positioned cheese plate should take care of any balance issues.
Old April 8th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I really like the Manfrotto 500 head Jase. I'm sure I looked at the Weifeng and it was heavier, although worth double checking.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the 500. With only little weight on it performance is good. I have to try the Sony on it. Lots of little things to impress too. Side load head? Awesome!

Only thing even with the 190 legs I've got is it's just easier to rest a hand on the tripod while panning. Other than that? Gold.
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads