Anyone used this tripod? Comments? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old March 4th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gorman
I again just opened both side by side to their max height, both center posts up, and the 3221 is 5" higher than the 755B. My 3221 setup is actually a bit heavier because I have a heavier (no longer available) type of ball leveller.
I guess the minor point I was trying to make, based on Manfrotto's specs in their catalog, was the max height WITHOUT the center post up (which everyone seems to say is the best [most stable] use of a tripod).

The only other tripod I was looking at is the Bogen 3182, which is the double-leg type, but I wonder how much I would give up for stability vs. the ability to handle multi-level outdoor surfaces and the use of the horizontal center stalk change-over for use in macro photography with a Nikon D70...?

Thanks for the feedback.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #17
Regular Crew

rebound

"If there is this motion, it is so subtle that I can't notice it in the pan direction."

If there's any movement in the subject matter it may not be noticeable, eg., nature shots. If the subject matter is motionless and you have some vertical edges to use for a guide, do you still not see any rebound? Look at the edge of the frame next to some clear vertical motionless line in the subject matter. I eliminated any possibility of tripod movement and still see it. If you & others don't see this with your 503 I have hope that mine has some correctable defect, or maybe I'm being way to picky.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #18
Regular Crew

"I guess the minor point I was trying to make, based on Manfrotto's specs in their catalog, was the max height WITHOUT the center post up (which everyone seems to say is the best [most stable] use of a tripod)."

Side x side without the center posts up, tripods w/o heads are almost same height, 755B about 1/2" taller. That's with both sections of legs extended on both.

"The only other tripod I was looking at is the Bogen 3182, which is the double-leg type, but I wonder how much I would give up for stability vs. the ability to handle multi-level outdoor surfaces and the use of the horizontal center stalk change-over for use in macro photography with a Nikon D70...?"

I have found both tripods 3221 and 755B stable enough for my Z1 and vx1000, both heavier than the cam you mentioned. Personally, when I've tried any double legged tripod I've found them way to cumbersome and heavy for my purposes.
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gorman
"I guess the minor point I was trying to make, based on Manfrotto's specs in their catalog, was the max height WITHOUT the center post up (which everyone seems to say is the best [most stable] use of a tripod)."

Side x side without the center posts up, tripods w/o heads are almost same height, 755B about 1/2" taller. That's with both sections of legs extended on both.

"The only other tripod I was looking at is the Bogen 3182, which is the double-leg type, but I wonder how much I would give up for stability vs. the ability to handle multi-level outdoor surfaces and the use of the horizontal center stalk change-over for use in macro photography with a Nikon D70...?"

I have found both tripods 3221 and 755B stable enough for my Z1 and vx1000, both heavier than the cam you mentioned. Personally, when I've tried any double legged tripod I've found them way to cumbersome and heavy for my purposes.
I really appreciate the comments. I will most likely order the 755B then and the 701RC2 head for the HC1. And hopefully at some date in the future do a review back here (it seems like most posters ask the questions, get some answers, but never come back to tell us what they finally did or bought and how they liked it).

I am not sure if this may help, but in reading the 100+ google hits on the 503 head, someone mentioned a similar problem with rebound. They came up with a "by chance" solution where they ended up overtightening some connector on the 503 and then when they backed it out, the problem went away.

Sorry I can't give you a specific page to look for but you might try a google search on "503 head problem", "503 versus 501 head", etc.
Old March 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Ries
I really appreciate the comments. I will most likely order the 755B then and the 701RC2 head for the HC1. And hopefully at some date in the future do a review back here (it seems like most posters ask the questions, get some answers, but never come back to tell us what they finally did or bought and how they liked it).

I am not sure if this may help, but in reading the 100+ google hits on the 503 head, someone mentioned a similar problem with rebound. They came up with a "by chance" solution where they ended up overtightening some connector on the 503 and then when they backed it out, the problem went away.

Sorry I can't give you a specific page to look for but you might try a google search on "503 head problem", "503 versus 501 head", etc.
If you're referring to me as being a poster that never comes back, I still haven't purchased my new tripod. At the first few comments, I seriously thought about getting the package I suggested, but after some further consideration, I realized I may need taller legs, and reading through your posts, I also may have to look into the 701 RC2 head also for my VX2100.

Some really good information in these last few posts.

I will most definately offer a review when I finally get my tripod & head.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #21
Regular Crew

tripod assessments

Thanks, Marc, for the tip on the 503 issue, I'll see what I can find, and also will post back if I learn something or hear something useful from Manfrotto.

Something I haven't done but in some cases might be worth it, would be to order both heads after narrowing your choices to two, return the one you don't like - within of course the short return time allowed, which might be just 7 days. Paying the extra shipping and possibly paying a re-stocking fee might in some cases be worth it.

Also, tripods, unlike camcorders, are fairly reasonable to rent for a day, so you could try it out - some also on display not only in video, but also photography stores in some areas - if you have one in your city you could probably take your camcorder there and try it out.

I look forward to hearing upcoming reviews.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
I'm thinking of getting this one to use with my XL1s and VX2100...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Bogen 745B legs and 503 head

Anyone used this head/stick combo? Anyone offering a "mini-review?"
FYI, the current issue of Videomaker (April) has a two-page review of the 745B and the 701rc2.

It would have been a better review if they had compared the 701rc2 to the 503, as well as compare the single-tube 745B to a comparable dual-tube bogen tripod.

Tripod wise, it seems the biggest concern with the 745B was the use of plastic for clamps and levers.
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #23
Regular Crew

503 head, after more testing etc.

I've continued to test my 503 on the 755B legs with the Z1 camcorder. Talked with more tech people, manfrotto, etc. and have decided that the 503 is my best choice for the money. Yes, I've confirmed that the very slight rebound at the end of a pan is just a fact of life with a fluid head anywhere near this price range - has to do the the inevitable inertia that occurs with the fluid movement. The effect is lessened with increased friction tension on the pan adjustment. I feel I can deal with the tiny rebound by just maintaining contact with the pan arm at the end of the pan - at least for any part that won't be edited out. The movement is barely noticeable, which i guess is why some are not seeing it.

This weekend will be my first actual paid shoot using this combo. BTW, the plastic clamps on this tripod don't worry me, they feel very solid and the plastic on my 3221 legs I've used for years with no problem - so solid I've never even thought of them as plastic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads