Tripod for Canon XL1s - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old March 17th, 2003, 01:08 AM   #16
Trustee

516 Head

I have a 516 mounted on Bogen 3192 sticks. I love it. The head is new and needs to be broken in. As it loosens up I think it will be fine. It is on the extreme end of heavy and stiff for a light camera like my XL1. On some occasions I still have to shoot Beta. This rig is a compromise, heavy for XL1, light for Beta, both work. I also have the new Bogen 522C LANC camera control unit for it. With my Verizoom LCD monitor on the camera it about as close as I can come to making my XL1 comparable to a Beta cam with a studio kit.

Steve
Old March 17th, 2003, 03:35 AM   #17
Major Player

Tripod for Canon………

That stiffness doesn't sound quite right to me, Steve. Do you have all of your lock and tension controls loosened up? Any one of the four of them, could be the problem. They have set screws, that allow you some latitude in adjustment. It is possible that they were installed too tight at the factory.

Another item to inspect, is your bowl. Is it properly mounted to the TP? And the head to it?
Old March 17th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #18
Warden

There is no break in period on a tripod head. It should work perfectly, right out of the box. If it doesn't, return to the dealer or send to Bogen for a warranty repair.

As Robert points out, it could be user error, but if you have eliminated those options something is wrong.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:10 AM   #19
Trustee

Thanks for the info. I can't find the adjustment screws you mentioned, I am aware of all 4 adjustment devices. The vertical tilt sticks a little after the camera stays stationary for any length of time, causing a slight jerk when you first tilt it. This is improving with use. All of this is with the fluid tension backed all of the way off. The fluid tension knob sounds like rice crispies when you turn it, maybe it is damaged, which did not occur to me because the unit is so new. I’ll contact Bogen today!

Thanks Guys
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #20
Warden

Something is definetly not right. I've used that head it should be much smoother. Let us know what Bogen says.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #21
Trustee

Bogen said, send it in for repair.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads