Tripod for Canon XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 30th, 2003, 04:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Tripod for Canon XL1s

What kind of tripod does anyone use? I've looked at some but don't know if it will work with the XL1s, not knowing if the attachement is different or not. One would think that there's a standard, but I'm not certain of that.
I've also wanted to get an attachment to be able to roll a tripod, but don't know if it's worth it. It's really only for one specific shot, I could probably use it for a couple other kind of shots too...
David Chavarria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #2

I'm using a Manfrotto 3246 with a 501 head...I LOVE it!!
Very stable, nice silky panning, quick release platform...and not too heavy.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm very pleased with my Cartoni Action Pro. Very quick and easy to set up with no annoying, fiddly bits. Nice padded case too.
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 11:07 AM   #4
Wrangler

I'm using the 503 head. One other item well worth getting is half ball leveler. It costs about $80 USD and makes leveling a snap.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

re: tripod/head

I just bought a bogen/manfrotto 3283B-501......surprisingly nice for a modest $550....2 stage sticks with 75 mm ball reciever and bottom spreader, which is my preference, 501 head, which is good to about 11 lbs...very smooth action...only downside: fluid drag but no dial in counter balance. But for a low weight setup like an XL-1 or PD150 its probably overkill, and wont be a problem. This kit is being discontinued, so whatever is out there, thats all there is. I guess Bogen is going with the new ART series, which is Carbon Fibre....very nice sticks, for under a grand, also worth looking at, but obviously, way more costly than the aluminum 3283 series. the kit included the head, sticks, spreader, sliding quick release camera plate, 75mm ball adapter and a decent padded case....at B&H...they still have a bunch of them in inventory....I did a lot of looking, and for under $600, this was the best deal by far......sticks were better than Libecs in my estimation, or the Daiwas for that matter.....more torsional rigidity, so you can crank up the drag on a windy day with impunity.....
Old February 9th, 2003, 06:30 PM   #6
Major Player

* * 3246 and the 501 * *

David,

I use the same as Bill. It works very well and is solid.

I added a Bogen autodolly, recently.

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 12:08 AM   #7
Wrangler

I've used both the Manfrotto 501 head, and the 503 head. The 503 head is worth the extra money, IMHO.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2003, 05:02 AM   #8
Major Player

I rock the 510 Bogen head with the 3190 Chrome sticks,
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 08:39 AM   #9
Major Player

Tripod for Canon XL-1s

I have been using the Bogen/Manfrotto ARTS fiber TP, with the 516 head.

Quite sturdy, but light.

Expensive. But worth it. Especially when using it with a long lens.
Old February 17th, 2003, 01:06 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Robert-
how do you find the 516 head working? it seems like a nice head and with some decent sticks, won't break the bank either. i'm just wondering about the counterbalancing on it. i've heard that a head that can support too much weight is just as bad as one that can't support enough. what kind of setup(camera+accessories) do you use with this? thank you and look forward to your response.

matt
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 01:13 AM   #11
New Boot

I use the Bogen 3246 and 501 and feel great with it's results.

Derrick what Bogan auto dolly and how is it workin for you?
Old February 17th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #12

I use a Libec 50 - Libec is Japan's top video tripod designer - they have done a horrible job of marketing in the U.S., but I love the 50 with the XL1s. The stix are solid enough not to transfer torque from the head - this can cause a 'spring-back' on crappy systems - something to watch out for...
Old February 17th, 2003, 11:47 PM   #13
Outer Circle

There's always used O'Connors around. E-bay is a good place to look but just be damn careful who you deal with.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2003, 08:39 AM   #14
Major Player

516 Head

Sorry to get back to you so late, Matt. I just returned from 2 days at @ -38?F. The performance of the head is more than satisfactory. Approaching the level of the much higher priced heads of the TV nets.

The ballance system works perfectly with the XL-1s, with either the 16:1 or my long lens. I am using the 100-400mm Canon lens on the head with a Plong plate for extra ballance leverage, on my Bogen/Manfrotto ARTS fiber TP. The Plong plate gives me that added "edge", when shoting on steep terain. Attached to the system are the usual multible battery pack, for extended recording. Plus, an RF Mike, and, the usual filter'(s).

For the most part, I do not use lights in wildlife taping, unless the subject is quite close. Experimenting with them back at my residence for ballance, I can use the long lense + a light with no problem.

The ARTS TP mentioned above, in combination with the 516, is the best outfit that I have had the pleasure to use, in a bunch of years. Reasonably light, compared to other combo's that I have used. Obviously, a great consern, when traveling in off road conditions on snowshoes.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 08:52 AM   #15
Major Player

516 Head

Opps! Sorry, Matt. I forgot to answer you on the subject of how much the head can take. My best guestimate for my equipment, (listed in my previous message), is a total weight with winter "clothes" on the camera, of 14+ lbs. The centering spring is fixed at 16.5 lbs. The 516 is good for weights up to 22 Lbs, according to Bogen.

I would guess that I am looking at a total weight of around 20 lbs. with lights.

That's the best that I can say, untill I do some in doors shoots.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads