Manfrotto purchase help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Manfrotto purchase help

Hi,

I'm looking at a couple choices for a manfrotto video head, and tripod legs. I'm looking at the 700RC2 video head 207-00RC2, the 701RC2, and the 128RC. Does anyone know which one has good reviews. Also Which legs would you recomend? I'm looking at the 055d.

thanks

Luke
Luke McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Major Player

I would really try to increase your budget. In fluid heads, you really get what you pay for. At a minimum I would get the bogen/manfrotto 503 head (NOT the 501!!!). Street price is about $250. In my book, I recommend a surveyor's tripod instead of a "cinema" tripod, as the cost is soooo much cheaper. I use a CST/Berger model 60 ALQ20, about $70.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/berger/tripods1.html

You'll need to make or get a spreader, but these tripods work really well and you can use the money you save on the 503 head! I have 2 pairs of wood sticks, and use the surveyor's tripod more often. If you decide to go this route, shoot me an e-mail and I'll show you how to attach a fluid head to this tripod.

Best,

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Selakovich
If you decide to go this route, shoot me an e-mail and I'll show you how to attach a fluid head to this tripod.

Best,

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com

Hey Dan, I'm always looking for new ideas, do you care to shoot me a picture of your final product on these sticks?

Regards,

Steven
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Sure. Is there a way to post photos on this forum? That way everybody could take a gander.

dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

not that I know of, maybe that's a good addition to the forum, a temp post pic place.

Steven
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:04 AM   #6
New Boot

Geared head?

[QUOTE=Dan Selakovich]I would really try to increase your budget. In fluid heads, you really get what you pay for.

Hey Dan,
I was just curious if you had plans for a DIY geared head. I didn't see one on your books table of contents on your website. It seems like it would be in demand and well within your design abilities. Sorry for the tangent, Luke.
Regards,
Hunter
Hunter Sandison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Boy, I've certainly thought about it a lot. I haven't used a gear head in 25 years when I used to operate. They are big complicated things and I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to get a hold of one to copy it if I could figure out a way without a bunch of machining involved. It won't be in volume 2, "Son of Killer Camera Rigs" as I'm too far along with that now. Maybe I could add it to the 3rd volume on lighting, but that's a long way off.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #8
Major Player

dan.. just wanted to let you know that your book is amazing. i absolutely love it.. much more than i expected.. keep up the good work
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #9
Major Player

Wow, thanks Andrew! I've been finally working on a part of the site for those who have purchased the book. It will be full of tips on building and using the equipment, a gallery of the rigs people have made from the book, movies, etc. If you got the book through my site, you're on the list so I'll let you know when it's up and running. I'm spread pretty thin these days, so don't hold your breath, but hopefully soon! I'll get those photos to you this week. Shoot me an e-mail at dan@dvcamerarigs as a reminder!

Thanks again!

Dan
www.dvcamerarigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads