Tripod case suitable for travel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Tripod case suitable for travel

hey guys--I'm looking for recommendations on a tripod case suitable for a lot of flying. I already have a fairly soft case (Petrol) for my sticks and head, but am looking for something more robust. I was looking at this model from PortaBrace:

http://www.portabrace.com/product_detail_B.php?id=1921

Looking forward to recommendations. Thanks!

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I use an ABS plastic golf case. It fits light stands, monopod, and my Vinten tripod, which is in its bag to protect from getting dinged during travel with the light stands.

The golf case was damaged at one point, leaving a 1/2" hole in the bottom, but I patched that with some fiberglass and West Systems epoxy. Also hot-glued some backpacker's sleeping pad foam to keep things from rattling around inside too much.

The golf case was about $100 from Sports Authority.
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Major Player

I've used the hard plastic cases from A&J. The airlines haven't been able to break them yet, although it's clear they have tried. They're pretty much bullet proof, although a more expensive option than Dean's clever solution.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'll 2nd the golf club case. Not only have I done tripods and light stands in one but I've even actually carried my golf clubs in one and they came out fine. Hey you can't just go anywhere and get left handed golf clubs you know:-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #5
Inner Circle

When I came back from NAB, I had my tripod, monopod, extra shoes, on-camera light battery, battery charger power adapters and dirty laundry in it.

Those golf cases can hold a lot!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads