new tripod soon, what colour? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old March 4th, 2003, 10:51 PM   #16
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Wayne Orr : Most pros will opt for the black. I can't remember the last time I saw a set of chrome sticks. While we are at it, I am curious why you chose the 500MV tripod, as that uses a 100mm ball and is meant for a heavier load than most dv cameras. Not that you can't use it, but of course it is more expensive. It is usually shown with a heavier pan head, I think its the 516. This would be more appropriate for a betacam sized camera. Be certain the 503 will mate to the 100mm ball. -->>>

Why the 500MV? #1 reason is it folds down to a shorter size than the 350 sticks. :)

Once place told me it was $200 more than the 350 sticks. The other told me it was $50 more. As far as the 100mm ball goes, eventually I will be going to a heavier camera, so I might as well buy a tripod that will hold it now. The 503 head will fit it.

I actually thought the silver sticks looked better than the black ones, but if there is a chance of reflections back into the scene, I'll go black.
Old March 6th, 2003, 06:32 AM   #17
Major Player

I have silver sticks. I got them from BH, it came with a free bag. (bogen/manfrotto). I wanted black because silver you can see from far away on a summer day, and I don't like to have flashy things. The black ones were the same price, but they didnt come with a free bag (cost about $75 alone)

So I am stuck with silver, however it's simple to put a whiteboard or something in front of them in reflection is a problem.
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 06:46 AM   #18
Warden

I use several Bogen tripods for still photography and some are silver. I cover the legs with foam insulation (pipe insulation) so I can comfortably carry the tripod over my shoulder. It also protects my hands from blistering heat on a sunny day with the black legs.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #19
Major Player

No matter what colour it is, in the cold, use gloves to handle the metal parts or you will reduce the time you are able to spent outside by a factor of 10.

I nearly lost my hands after adjusting some metal sticks in the freezing cold with bare hands.
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:48 PM   #20
Warden

Another good reason to put insulation on the legs.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 06:45 PM   #21
Major Player

Would anyone know how to address E-mail to Leo's Camera Supply in Vancouver? I can't find any contact info at their website other than a phone #.

Thanks!
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #22
Outer Circle

I have their e-mail link on this page:

http://www.dvfreak.com/buyersguide.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 03:49 AM   #23
Wrangler

Going back to tripod colour, for what it's worth, I participated in the Vancouver 24 hour film competition today. 20 teams of 8 people gathered in one spot. I counted aproximately 10 "professional" tripods (mostly Manfrotto 501/350 combos). Out of these 10, 10 of them were grey/silver. 0 of them were black.

Maybe because Leo's Camera (THE downtown camera shop) seems to only stock silver video tripod legs...?
Old March 9th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #24
Major Player

That's an interesting number. Maybe the extra cost of the black legs stops a lot of people.
Old March 9th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #25
Wrangler

From the sets of sticks I've been looking at, black costs $20-$50 more. Not a huge difference on a $800(cdn) tripod, but perhaps enough to make independent shooters think twice.

Actually, I think the fact that Leo's doesn't usualy stock them in black is a real reason. WHen I was there, I asked them for the 500mv series sticks in black, and they outright told me they don't come in black, only silver. Which is an outright lie, as I was at another place 30 minutes before, holding a black set in my hands.
Old March 9th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #26
Major Player

I want to ammend my original reply. I said I could not remember the last time I saw a set of "chrome" sticks. The 350MV (3181 in US) sticks come in "anodized aluminum" which is a matte finish and not to be compared to chrome. Not unlike the Vinten with their matte grey finish. If I were you, I would have no qualms about saving the extra dough and purchasing theses sticks. Unless of course, you wanted to go against the "herd" thinking up there. Of course there is no figuring why a retailer carries only one color. Could be any number of reasons. Remember that Vinten makes a Pro line in black that is not available in the US.

The whole point was to get you to avoid the chrome, which is available in some of the Bogen/Manfrotto line. Sorry if I contributed to any confusion.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 05:36 PM   #27
Wrangler

I think I said silver, which is the colour of anno'ed aluminum.
Crome would be pretty cool, but crazy.
Old March 11th, 2003, 08:21 AM   #28
Major Player

Thanks, Frank!
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 01:32 AM   #29
Outer Circle

Make sure you ask them for black ones! My tripod is black, and they are so sexy. Everytime the whiff looks at them, standing beside my huge desk, she gets jealous. (She hates my desk too!) Thank God my 18 pound black female cat attacks her when she gets too close to my pod. (She hates the cat too.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #30
Trustee

Buy the black with leg warmers. Leg warmers are nothing more than black rubber insulation that's made to fit the upper portion of the legs. Easy to grab and your hand doesn't stick in cold weather. It's a bit more robust than standard pipe insulation (it cost more too).
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads