quick release at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old March 29th, 2003, 07:13 AM   #1
Major Player

quick release

Can someone explain "quick release" attachments?

When you buy a new camera and tripod, do you then buy a "quick release" setup that attaches to each?

Will it work with any camera/ tripod?

What is the "standard" way a camera attaches to a tripod?

Can you always adjust the camera forward/backward to balance the center of gravity?

Anything eles to be wary of?

Great website!

Bob
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 08:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bob and welcome to the Forum. I'll take a stab at your questions.

<<Can someone explain "quick release" attachments?>>

Quick release simply means that the camera has a permantely mounted plate on the bottom that mates to the tripod head. On most video tripod heads, the plate slides onto the head and is quickly secured by a clamp or cam type lever.

<<Will it work with any camera/ tripod?>>

No. The quick release plate is usually specific to the tripod model. There may be some overlap in models, but for example, the Bogen 501/503 plate will not work with the Bogen 510 head.

<<What is the "standard" way a camera attaches to a tripod?>>

Quick Release is the standard attachment for video cameras.

<<Can you always adjust the camera forward/backward to balance the center of gravity?>>

Not necessarily. As far as I can tell, most mid to high end tripod heads incorporate a sliding plate that does allow for some fore/aft adjustment. Cheaper consumer models usually do not. Also, some makes, like Bogen, offer optional plates that are longer, which offer more adjustment possibilities.

<<Anything eles to be wary of?>>

Be sure to get a fluid head and buy the best your budget will allow. The tripod will outlast many cameras and you will never regret spending more for this piece of equipment. Many factors need to be considered though. Not least of which would be how mobile you need to be. Weight is good for stability, but not if you have to backpack the thing on long hikes!

Read through the posts in this section and I'm sure you will find answers to most questions you may have regarding specific makes and models.
Old March 29th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Does each head come with both halves of the quick release system - the half that attaches to the head and the half that attaches to the camera?

Will a quick release system work with any camera? And how does it attach to the camera?

Thanks for your response!
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

I'm not sure about all types of quick release, but I'll tell you about my setup. The head was bought seperate for the legs. I then bought a couple of plates for my cameras. The plate has a threaded pin which attaches it to the cam. The plate fits into a depression in the head, and a cam holds the plate to the head.

The plates cost me about $8-$12 ea. Hope this helps.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #5
Major Player

<<Does each head come with both halves of the quick release system - the half that attaches to the head and the half that attaches to the camera?>>

Yes, the head will most likely come with a camera plate. The only reason I say "most likely" is that I'm not sure about larger tripods for ENG type cameras, but I'm fairly certain they would also.

<<Will a quick release system work with any camera? And how does it attach to the camera?>>

As far as I know, all consumer and prosumer cameras discussed here have a 1/4" - 20 tripod mounting point (look at the bottom of the camera and you'll see a threaded hole with nothing in it). Heavier ENG cameras might have a 3/8" - 16 mount. The tripod plate is attached to this mounting point with a bolt supplied with the plate. Some tripod plates come with both 1/4" and 3/8" bolts, so yes, the plate will work with any camera in that case.

As Kieth mentioned above, additional plates can be ordered if you have more than one camera so that they can all be used with the same tripod.
Old March 29th, 2003, 04:39 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Ed- I bought Bogen/Manfrotto. It didn't come with any, I had to buy them seperate from the head.
Old March 29th, 2003, 05:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Hmmm - My Bogen 503 came with the plate and several other tripods I've purchased in the past all included the camera plate. Did you buy the head new? Which model?

Since the plate has to match the head, it doesn't make much sense, although I can see buying extra plates. In fact I've done that myself. Maybe the high end stuff is different though.

Thanks Keith for correcting my error.
Old March 29th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #8
Capt. Quirk

Ed- What I have is NOT high end. It is probably the low end "fluid" head, on a set of 3001 Pro legs. Of course, it may have been the store trying to get an extra $8-$12 out of me, by selling the head and plate seperate.
Old March 30th, 2003, 06:53 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for all your responses.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads