Quick Release for Bogen 501 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 8th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Quick Release for Bogen 501

Does anyone know of a quick release adapter for the Bogen 501 head? Is there any chance the 501's plate will fit in a 3273 adapter? My camera has the 501 quick release plate (Bogen P/N 3233PL) mounted and I'd like to be able to pop this off the tripod and onto my steadicam...but I can't find the adapter to mount to the steadicam. I suppose I could buy a couple of 3272/3273 assemblies and have a funky sort of double-quick-release thing going on, but isn't there an easier way?
John Struhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #2
Major Player

John, the 501 plate will not fit the 3273 adapter. I am using a 3273 adapter with my 503 plate (same as 501) attached to the bottom. It actually isn't all that funky and allows for more fore/aft adjustment than the stock plate alone will allow. Unless you look real close, you'd think the head came that way!
Old April 9th, 2003, 06:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Actually, John, there probably is no easier way than what you describe. You might look at the Manfrotto 3299, which B&H sells for under $30 for the set. You will need two sets. You take one new female plate and attach it to your male plate from the 501. Secure that set up to the 501, and screw the new male plate to the bottom of your camera. Attach the second female 3299 to your steadicam, and you are good to go. You will have a second new male plate as a spare. Heck, buy another camera.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #4
New Boot

Aha! I knew if I dug enough I'd find a good excuse for buying another camera. So if I bought another camera and another tripod and another head and a shoulder brace and a monopod...how many male and female plates is that? Do you think Manfrotto would wholesale a dozen or so? Maybe I should invent a combination tripod, steadicam, shoulder mount, monopod. I'm picturing the gizmo from the "Universal Business Adapter" commercial, but on a much, MUCH larger scale. Steam-powered, even. Any takers?

Ed, does the 3273 have the safety catch like the 501 head? That seems to be a useful feature...
Old April 10th, 2003, 07:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, it does have a similar safety catch. I think you would be happier with the 3273 than the 3299 though. The 3273 is much like the quick release on your 501, just a little longer and slightly wider. The extra fore/aft adjustment is very handy when using an XL1 with a bunch of stuff hanging off the back. From the picture, it looks like the 3299 adapter is fixed with no adjustment. Probably more suitable for 35mm still cameras.
Old April 25th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What you want is a Manfrotto 577 Video Universal Sliding Plate. It's the quick release plate for the stock 501 plate. In fact they give you an identical extra plate.
I bought it about a month ago here in Vancouver at Lorne Lapham Sales for around $60 CDN. I use it either mounted on a Cobra Crane or Extreme SteadyTracker. I'm now designing a shoulder brace where it's going to be mounted on a Manfrotto Super Clamp.
Chris Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #7
New Boot

EXACTLY what I was looking for, and priced right as well. I wonder why this is such an obscure part...
Thanks a bunch Chris and all of you for your suggestions.
Old April 26th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #8
Major Player

That's what I was looking for as well. When I couldn' t find such an item in the Bogen catalog or website, I went with the 3273. Where did you find it?
Old April 26th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It's very new. About three months ago I saw one of those New Product announcements in one of the video magazines. I went to my local Manfrotto dealer and ordered it. It did take about three or four weeks to get it though.
Here's the link at B&H Photo. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/241139/BO577/REG/4926
Chris Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #10
Major Player

Good find Chris! You really do have to appreciate Bogen/Manfrotto. They make so many worthwhile products, and price them fairly. The $50 US for the quick release is an example. Here is another Manfrotto product you can have a lot of fun with for under fifty bucks: 3292 Car Window Pod with 3009 Mini Ball Head Use this for an inexpensive car mount for interior shots while driving. With the addition of a wide angle lens, you can get a two shot of the front seat. I close the window enough so the camera is snuggly wedged between the window and window frame. If your lcd allows it, you can rotate it so the actors can see their position in the two shot.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads