Tripod for multi surface use at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 16th, 2003, 02:51 PM   #1
Tourist

Tripod for multi surface use

Hi, Im looking for some help in buying a professional grade tripod system. The Camera is a Sony TRV25, im not looking for anything super light weight but the tripod will be used in the back of a SUV, and many uneven surfaces like grass, dirt and things of that nature. Id like the movie to come as professional looking as possible and would not like to spend a ton of money, unless necessary. An example of this would be if a fluid head is that much better then a frictional head then the money difference is justified.

Any help would be great!
Salvatore Basalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #2
Warden

Do you have a budget in mind? This could easily cost over $1,000 USD.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #3
Tourist

no budget in mind... just looking for cost effectiveness
Salvatore Basalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #4
Warden

I would look at Sachtler or Vinten. They both use fluid heads and have mid-level spreaders. Fluid heads will give you much better control and the shots are repeatable. Meaning each pan, tilt, camera move will look the same. No wiggles in the middle of a shot or when you can least afford one.

A mid-level spreader allows you to set up the tripod on uneven ground. It helps in reducing a lot of flex in the system also.

Are these features worth the added cost? If your shooting at a professional level and you have clients demands or expectations to meet, then get the best tripod you can afford. If this is more of a hobby or part-time profession then you may be able to get by will friction heads etc.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Well Salvatore... I'll offer my .02 on the subject. For the cam you have now as well as a possible upgrade later, Gitzo may be a good choice for you. I CERTAINLY wouldn't put it in the same category as Satchler or Vinten, but a pretty good pod, none the less... I hate when people endorse what they use, but I'm going to do that anyway and I'll tell you why I chose what I chose.

I TOO shoot a lot outdoors and on uneven terrain. I also favor low angle shots when it's appropriate... I like a lot of outdoor footage to be WIDE and LOW... shooting low gives good depth of field and perspective when objects are very close in the forground while your subject is somewhat distant.

For setup speed I did not want a system that used a ground-level spreader. To accomodate uneven terrain I wanted totally independent leg extension and angle. I wanted optional spiked feet as well as rubber. I wanted the lightest weight pod FOR THE USABLE LOAD, but I could not afford carbon fiber. I wanted minimum height and decent maximum height. I wanted a pod that would fold up to a compact size.

To fulfill all these requirements I bought a Gitzo 1345 pod. Aluminum, 6lbs, 23" folded length, sub 6" minimum height, 60" maximum height, 22lbs capacity. $350 street price.

You will need a leveler. Don't ask questions. You NEED one. That means you need a bowl for your pod. Either built-in or added by you. For me I bought a Gitzo 1422, which is a 75mm bowl that fits right into the pod legs mentioned above. $37 street price.

If you choose a head that has a "half-ball base" built in then you won't need a seperate half-ball. I went with a Gitzo g1380 head, which is where the "savings" end. For your budget I wouldn't neccessarily go with the g1380. I previously used a g2380 which handles 11lbs and has quite smooth operation. It is also a beautiful work of art. Yours for $170 street price. Gitzo makes a leveler adapter for $158 street price, but it's not neccessary. You can mount the aformentioned head on Bogen's 75mm half-ball and use that in the bowl/legs. Doing that will save you OVER a hundred dollars vs. the Gitzo "ball" option... for the same operational result.

The combination above will get you a reasonably serious pod that is easy to live with and quite beautiful. All for LESS then $600...

I use B&H for almost EVERYTHING... if you want to save the last possible penny then you can enter the minimum bid for these items new on ebay from Henry's... I did get one thing from them with a "Buy it Now" option and everything went perfectly... your choice.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads