External power at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Major Player

External power

A question for all,

When you are out for hours on end, and cannot recharge your small batteries, what do you do?

What are you using to power your cameras during this long time, being outdoors.
How are you carrying /mounting these power sources?

With all the setting up of, and zooming/focusing and starting/stopping the camera, my little batteries don't last that long, and I take 4 batteries with me.

My Optura only takes one size of battery, so, getting a larger battery attached is not possible.

Looking forward to your ideas.
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Sam,

You don't mention what type of Video you're doing, But I've done horse shows and such that can last all day outside. I also use an external monitor and VCR's to make tapes on-site.

I've used large RV Type Batteries and smaller gel or lead/acid batteries for powering the Cam, and the other items, for the last 10yrs or so. I now use a Honda 2000 Gen unit, and keep the batteries as back up.

Some smaller batteries can be carried in bags that you can put on your belt or over the shoulder, other larger units you'd have to put on some type of cart - if you need portability. Doing horse shows, I am mostly stationary.

I use the SIMA universal power units to power the Cam from the batteries.

Check my other posts for more details, and for other Mods that you might find useful.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Ok...

after checking many of the posts, I now have to many other things to think about.

I built a voltage regulator, that puts out 7.5v, from anything higher than 7.5v-32v dc.

Works awesomely, from the 12v lead brick, that I attached it to.
With this knowledge, I can now build other regulators/power supplies, to power some of the other toys, that I plan on using, when I'm outdoors, or indoors, to make my life easier, when there is no power supply readily available.

Harold, do you use your LCD monitor outdoors, with a hood, and mounted to your tripod?
How are you powering this unit?

I would like to hook a unit up to my camera, to help with viewing, as I find it difficult to see the LCD panel, and it is not always possible to use the viewfinder.
I have a small unit that I would like to do this with, as well as a larger unit, that is only AC powered. I guess I will take the larger unit apart, and see where I can tap into it, to run it off a 12v dc supply.

I guess the worst part of all this, is lugging it around and setting it up, not as much run n gun going to be happening.

I will have to "plan" my outdoor taping, if I'm going to be a packmule. I usually tape spur of the moment, when I'm out hiking with the kids.
If I can get back to the van, I can recharge the 12v units.
I will have to build or buy a charger for the smaller batteries, that didn't come with any of my cameras.

I don't normally tape stationary events, unless it is school events, or at work, so some of what I want to build and do will come in handy there.

Thanks for the input, and putting me on the the old posts.
Love your mods and setup. I will have to give some of them a go, and see if they fit what I am planning on doing, which I'm sure they will.
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Sam,

"Harold, do you use your LCD monitor outdoors, with a hood, and mounted to your tripod?
How are you powering this unit?"

Yes to hoods on all my units. Can mount the 4 smaller units to the T-Pod, if necessary.

These are also powered by the external battery type set up - for each seperately.

Depending on where you're tromping around, you might be able to mount some stuff on a small 2 wheel cart, or maybe a small wagon ???

Lots of options.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Major Player

I've done the same as Harold and used a large RV gel-cell, deep-cycle battery, with 60 AH capacity. I ran a big pro Beta camcorder, a 5-inch and a 13-inch monitor and sometimes, for on-location playback, an amp and two 8-inch speakers. I could make the battery last all day with everything running. I modified an old wheelchair to carry it all. I had a tire pump along and when rolling it long distances, kept the tires full and when doing some dollying, let most of the air out, for cushioned and steadier action. This worked great for musical performances, talking-head speeches and some sports events, where I could set-up and stay in one spot. I had a tripod head mounted on the back of the chair, with two control arms and mechanical remote controls in the handles for zoom, focus and pause/record. Nowadays, with minicams and long-life pop-in batteries, I almost always use a shoulder-mount and have full mobility.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Sam,

I have kept it simple, Buy an inverter, plug in to the 110 plug and we are away.

For other 12 volt stuff, like running a laptop and anything else I just purchased a small 12 volt lead acid battery, clip on the lighter plug in and I am away.

As mentioned prior, there are numerous ways to go. I am not using a small canon however so maybe you can't do some of these things.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you all,

My buddy at work, uses the inverter idea, and a big battery belt.
Quite bulky, but works for him.

Most of what you have mentioned will be put to the test, to see what works for me, and modified, to my shooting situations.

When I'm out hiking, I like to be a little less restricted, so, the lead acids may will work, with the regulator I built.

If I know that I have a destination and a plan, on what I want to film while I'm out there, then I will probably take more "weight", with me.

I do have an inverter, so that will come in handy, if I take my larger monitor with me.
Next step on that particular monitor, is to add a 12volt jack, and make it dual power optional.
My small monitor, would run fine on 12volts.

I have built a shoulder mount, and am just finishing it up- basically, where to mount the small monitor, to give me balance, and how to mount a mic or light to it, when the hotshoe is occupied.

I will have to post some photos, at some point of all the gadgets, that I have built recently, to help me out in different situations.
Everything I build has interchangeable parts, so the camera can be used in different filming situations, from ground level on up, while I'm walking.

The batteries will add some stabalization to the shoulder mount, so it doesn't slide off my back.
The inverter and other power units, would go around my waist, in fanny pouches or a belt.

Harold, I checked out your Skatervideoguy, posts, I am impressed by what you have done.
More fuel for my fire.

Now enough playing with building toys, let me get out and use them.
Unfortunately, doing this, I will come up with something else I will want to build, or improve.
LOL.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land