Steelhead Catch---HD Video & Photos with HX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Steelhead Catch---HD Video & Photos with HX1

Today, I was lucky to be following Quint McDonald and Lina as they fished for Steelhead on the Willamette River in Eugene. I was shooting HD video and photos with my new Sony DSC-HX1, a digital photo camera. It has a 20X zoom and 560mm for photos and 640mm for 1080p video. The first two scenes of the video on the link below on Vimeo, were shot in 720p mode and the last two, in 1080p. I think the 720p video is sharper. The first photo was shot in 16:9 aspect. The next two, in 4:3-aspect, were shot at full zoom, using the Smart Zoom mode. The first of those was at the 3-MP level and the second, at the 5-MP level. The last one, showing a closeup of him holding the fish, was also 5-MP. The 3-MP Smart Zoom mode gives a total of 935mm and the 5-MP mode gives 752mm.

If you register for a free subscription on Vimeo, you can download the full quality video, for better playback, than viewing the highly-compressed version, on Vimeo. For PC users, go to the download icon in the lower-right section of the video's page and do a right-click on it, then click on Save Target As and designate a folder in your computer to receive it. Mac users can probably do a similar procedure.

I used my new steady-mount, which helped a lot on the full-zoom shots. You can see pictures of it, on my post on the Photo for Video Forum, on the second link.
Steelhead Catch on the Willamette on Vimeo
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photo-hd-...han-1080p.html

I was pleased that I didn't get buck fever and botch the changeover from photos to video, when the fish struck.
Attached Thumbnails
Steelhead Catch---HD Video & Photos with HX1-dsc01255.jpg   Steelhead Catch---HD Video & Photos with HX1-dsc01287.jpg  

Steelhead Catch---HD Video & Photos with HX1-dsc01305.jpg   Steelhead Catch---HD Video & Photos with HX1-dsc01310.jpg  

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; May 25th, 2009 at 06:52 AM.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land