Rangefinders - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 30th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Hi Steve,

The modification involved replacing the original removable loupe assembly with another that uses the same attachment points, so that the experiment is reversible. The new lens has a focal length of about 4” and nearly doubles the size of the image. The lens selected was originally made to give an extra 2X magnification to a dissecting microscope as used in laboratories.

As the new loupe is about 2.5” shorter than the original the user’s eye position is correspondingly further forward – an advantage for hand held work but a disadvantage for tripod use. When the warranty expires I might try re-mounting the finder and use a short cable for more versatility.

I have attached two pictures of the assembly. The eyecup is not shown. I use a single tube mounted support for my 300 mm lens. As its axis is parallel to the lens axis it can be used as a sight to locate the point of interest. A third use for this is that it acts as a suitable support for the left hand when handholding, The support tube fits between thumb and forefinger, the adjustable black collar spreads the weight, the arrangement leaves the fingers free for lens tweaks. With the modified loupe the eye is further forward so that some of the camera’s weight is taken on the shoulder.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Rangefinders-_dsc1104-version-2.jpg   Rangefinders-_dsc1105-version-2.jpg  

Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Dale..............

Now that you've had some time to play, what's your conclusion?

Good or not?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land