Showreel WIP - I'd love to know what you think? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 29th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #1
Trustee

Showreel WIP - I'd love to know what you think?

Hi folks

I've put a reel together that I plan to take to Wildscreen with me and go on a DVD along with Hudson's Monarch (13.5 min film).

The idea was to make something punchy, show variation in camera work, subject and working situation. It's so hard to get music that fits what you are going for and goes with all your footage. I think this works in some ways, maybe not in others....anyway, your critiques would be very welcome.

Cheers
Mat

Last edited by Mat Thompson; September 29th, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Mat,

Opening is superb, as is the close. Sure, maybe music doesn't fit 100% but it would have to come in at 95%.

Overall, superb shooting / editing.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Nice tight editing to the beat. I loved the synchronization with the grebes. Since the music has wound down at the end, you might have added a splash SFX to the otter’s tail as a send off. It looks really good, Mat. Give ‘em hell…
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Mat,

Punchy, very well cut to the beat, short but plenty of variety to showcase your skills

Fingers crossed for your entry

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Very nice video. The different types of camera movements are great, e.g. the one just before the two otters and then again with several birds on a rock. These things just inspire to keep moving forward!
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Dear Mat,

If completely agree with the complements in other posts. Just a few things for consideration:

If the music also has to reflect the atmosphere in your film, I do not know if it is the right choice. Otherwise it's okay to me. It holds your attention.
The ladies eye in the beginning is very nice, but one might wonder what it has to do with the rest of the footage.
I like the speed of your editing, but it tends to be (relatively) slower with the shots of the black grouses (wich I believe it are, we do not have them here). This is a longer sequence than with the other subjects and not neceserrily the most remarkable in your show reel.

Don't take it as an offence, but just as remarks for advice. I am trully impressed as it is!

Cees
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks everyone.

Cee's - These are some great comments and I agree completely.

The explanation of the points...

Music - Its just so hard to get 'The right track' - I wanted something in your face, bold and fast paced. It will be on a DVD with Hudson's Monarch my stag film which is completely the opposite. It was this contrast I wanted to achieve. That said, another film making friend has said the same as you about the music. I do agree, BUT I have yet to find anything else that fits my brief but is more...fitting, lets say!

Grouse - Yep they are Black grouse/ cock. The footage is shot in Scotland/ before 5am and the light is very poor indeed. I guess because its unusual footage species wise and nice behaviour I was filling out with this. I will look and take a re-think as it was also bothering me and others have noted they are not the most 'pretty' shots!

Face at the start. My idea was that I wanted to say 'Eye Opening' or 'Open your Eyes' in a opening shot. I think I'll stick on it now, but I'm not 100% on it, so thanks for your thoughts.

Many thanks
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #8
New Boot

Mat demo reel

Hey Mat,
I too agree with many of the comments already posted
great locations subjuects
good camera work
nice editing choices
music is tough when you don't have access to local musicians to do custom affordable music.
all things considered you've done well
good luck with your project
George Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Mat,

most everything has been covered. It is pretty much the quality I expect to see from you!!

Personally I do not really care for the heavy percussion thoughout.

The black grouse are fantastic birds but I would go back up north and reshoot them and try to get better footage. I know how hard that is to do as I live on the leks every spring!!! The grouse flick does seem long compared to the others, but I personally like to have more time to enjoy the clips than a lot of other people.

I very much liked the editing of it.

I do think it accomplishes what you were trying to do!!

As always, I love your work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land