RC helicopter for Go Pro camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Major Player

RC helicopter for Go Pro camera

Whats a good RC helicopter for a go pro camera or similar camera?

Hoping to get some smooth shots for a short film.

Thanks
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: RC helicopter for Go Pro camera

How many years have you been flying RC helis?
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
How many years have you been flying RC helis?
+1

The fact that you're asking means you don't have the experience to accomplish what you want.
As has been discussed in many threads here, the RC Helis capable of carrying a payload of any kind are not toys and could seriously injure or kill if mishandled. You cannot fly helis just anywhere. Well, you could but if something happens you're gonna be in big trouble. Sanctioned fields carry insurance and have a large enough area to fly in.
I have been flying for over 20 years and I've seen what can happen even in the hands of an experienced pilot.

But since you asked, I fly Replay and GoPro cameras on a Blade 450 3D which has been modified for the extra load. That's about as small a heli as you want and it is a handful to fly. I also have a friend with X-cell gassers that I borrow for larger loads.
Ideally, you want a 600 or 700 size (Thunder Tiger, Mikado, Align, and Miniature Aircraft are decent) which are much more stable. Get ready to spend over a grand on those and in some cases a couple of thousand dollars. On top of that, you need experience building and setting up a heli. Any vibration will render your video unusable. Then there's the actual flying. Anyone can fly around for fun. If you're trying to get smooth video, that's not so easy. Want to hover at altitude? do a 360 pan? Very difficult to keep smooth.

Honestly if all you're looking for is a couple of shots, go to your local hobby shop and find out who the best RC pilot is. Give him a couple hundred dollars to do the work for you. You will get much better results, save a TON of money and have a lot less risk.

If you want to learn how to fly, go find the same guy and pay him to teach you all the ins and outs. That's after buying a simulator and spending a few weeks on it. Don't buy a heli til he tells you what he's familiar with. Spare parts on some helis are hard to get. And cheapo off brand helis are next to impossible to get spare parts. This is how I've seen many get into and out of the hobby after one crash.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

if you just want to fly a gopro, I would recommend a quadcopter with a naza fight control system on it..a good one in kit form or you can get pre assembled is from dji, the flamewheel 450. very easy to fly.
John Abbey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land