Chattooga River at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Trustee

Chattooga River

For a long time I have been wanted to make a video about the Wild and Scenic Chattooga River set to a cinematic music score. Although the Chattooga is best known for its popular white water rafting and kayaking (been there and done that) I choose instead to focus on the natural beauty along the river corridor.

The Chattooga River is one of the most pristine wilderness areas in the eastern United States. Designated a Wild and Scenic River by congress in 1974, it is characterized by dense forests, undeveloped shorelines, whitewater rapids and multiple waterfalls. Its banks and riverbed are riddled with massive boulders and rock formations. In most locations it is extremely difficult to access. Originating in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, the Chattooga flows south through the Nanthahala National Forest before crossing into South Carolina and Georgia. Over the course of some fifty miles the river descends 2500 feet in elevation.

This video is the result of several visits during the summer of 2012 starting at the river’s headwaters and following it downstream. Places visited in order of appearance include: Ellicott Rock Wilderness Area, Burrell’s Ford, Sandy Ford, Thrift’s Ferry, Bull Sluice, and Woodall Shoals . There are many places I bypassed due to time constraints and lack of any type of trail to them. Some of the most interesting places can only be accessed by whitewater raft or kayak. A person could actually spend months exploring the area.

The Chattooga River was made famous by the movie Deliverance which was nominated for three Academy Awards in 1972 including Best Picture and Best Director. Filmed on the river, it is based on the best selling novel by James Dickey. The movie starred Burt Reynolds, Jon Voight, Ned Beatty and Ronnie Cox. It is said that the actors worked without insurance because no company would cover them due to the high risks while filming on the river.

Shot with a Panasonic HPX170, Igus motorized slider and Glideshot jib. Edited with Edius 5.51 and encoded with TMPGEnc 4. The music title is “River” and was generously made available for this project by the composer Luke Atencio.

Last edited by Mark Williams; September 12th, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Chattooga River

Mark, simply stunning visuals blended to music. Your camcorder movements are so smooth as to be hardly noticed. What a wonderful way to enjoy the morning cup of coffee. I could feel the cool wind coming off the water. You have such wonderful talent. Thank you. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Chattooga River

Thanks Bob, I am glad that you enjoyed it.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land