Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #5 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #31
Trustee

Hi Brian, can't wait to see this one.
This is the most exciting part of uwol, the long waiting for the participants films. I envy you, Brian :) they are not present on the mainland in Norway, I have to go to Svalbard to catch one of these.
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #32
Major Player

Hello:

Don't envy me.....the bears being this near is a sure sign that winter is just around the corner. The high temperature for today is 8 deg C and the low is 0 C. So before too long winter will be on us and my world will turn white once again.

This time of year it's not uncommon to come across more than one bear in a small area plus it's relativly safe they are well fed and contented to save energy by lazing about in the sun.

I just hope I can get the remainder of the footage I need to pull off the story I want to tell.

Meryem....just for you I promise I'll put some squirrel (Siksik) footage in the film.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Brian, I can't wait to see your film. Sounds like you got some awesome footage. Those polar bears are amazing.

So far I have just been able to capture a couple of sheep just standing there like statues.
Yeah, I know, not the most exciting mammals out there.
Hopefully I can get something more interesting.
Right now, I don't even have a story.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond Saetre View Post
So far I have just been able to capture a couple of sheep just standing there like statues.
Just want to say that sheep are allright animals :)
Look at this clip from NRK (Norwegian National TV): http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/indeks/97735
Sorry only in norwegian.
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Yeah, those sheep were funny to watch, Geir Inge.
If the ones I found could have at least moved a little bit, it could have been fun.
I even tried to tell the sheep that I love lamb steak.
Obviously sheep do not understand Norwegian. No reactions at all, haha.
Oh well, better luck next time. It's a long time until deadline.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #36
Trustee

Sick

First weekend - Sick with something bad -flu, virus, cold, -don't know. Wife was on call as well so we couldn't even go out of the city.

Next weekend - I have a football game to film, oh boy that's some exciting mammal stuff, lol....
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #37
Major Player

Sorry to hear your sick Marco... Its not fun.. My hole family had that for awhile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
Next weekend - I have a football game to film, oh boy that's some exciting mammal stuff, lol....
Ooh... lol! You can go up into the bleachers and get some teenage action.. lol! Happens all the time, as sad as it is to say...
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #38
Trustee

LMAO!!! oh man that's killer, it's Pop Warner, 7 year olds -so more the "mom" action than anything else, tee hee.
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #39
Major Player

LOL!!! Oops! My bad... hahaha...
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #40
Major Player

Hope you guys like kangaroos as every Australian mammal seems to have an affliction with sunlight (or getting eaten), as they all are nocturnal - other than Kangaroos.

With the drought, there are many roos down the local golf course - which doesn't exactly add to the whole feel I had in mind, but it will have to do (not particularly enthused about filming dogs, cats, cows, etc).

Trouble with roos, if they know you want to watch them - there so hard to get close to (like most animals I guess), but if your walking past with a set of golf clubs, you can get real close. Might be interesting with an H1 in one hand, and a golf bag with a tripod stuffed in it in the other hand.

Hope your chosen mammals are being good subjects for you all.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #41
Trustee

Oh this is getting better and better ! My fav animal covered in a uwol film.....now I'm double jealous. Are these reds you're filming David ??
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #42
Wrangler

animal incident report....so last night, the raccoons were engaged in bloody warfare in the two big trees which hang over my deck. making their hideous whistling alien noises. while i was trying to put my daughter to sleep--she was completely scared because they were really going at it, sounded like they were trying to kill each other. the good footage would have been of me standing out on the deck wielding the garden hose and a rake, swearing a blue streak and spraying them down, while one large crazed snarling raccoon tried to intimidate me.

my tale of woe--my cameras were all at work. this would have been much better than squirrels.

this could have been the cage match comedy entry, for sure.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #43
Major Player

We had a mouse causing trouble down in the assembly area yesterday....
Never seen one in the plant before....but of course I didn't have a camera at work....

Still no idea what it will be....we'll be racing at the track all weekend...
Maybe the chipmunks will be out...sometimes they like to mess with the timing system...

Bob T.
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #44
Major Player

So far I got nothing... One I idea I could use, but its a lot of work and not my style. So I'll try to avoid that one.

The only mammies I have seen this week are people and dogs.. Not even a squirrel! Its amazing, just last week I could not get away from them, now I can't even find one! Their a pain to film anyways....

On to looking for more ideas... Gosh! I need a license..
~Gabriel
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #45
Trustee

I'm not sure where you live Gabriel, Washington way up North West, on the border to Canada? If you live near Seattle maybe you should go on a whale safari and shoot some orca/killer whale :)
Here's a link: http://www.sanjuansafaris.com/

Or you can visit some parks?
It don't have to be a mammal with four legs either.

All right, the most of us (I believe) want to get some wild animals on tape, but that's not an easy task in just 3 weeks, so we have to figure out one way or another how to fit the theme, mammal. I'm sure you will come up with something, just remember a uwol film can also be about chasing an animal, but you don't necessary have to find it. That's a story too, you know :)

For me, it's just rain and quite windy and there's more rain to come.
The weather forcast tells me to wait until next week, maybe the sun will shine on thursday or friday. My location is on a tiny island and I'm dependent on a boat to go there, as well as no rain and no wind.
As for now, I just twine my thumbs :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge