Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 19th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #151
Trustee

Well, I am trying to put my uwol short together and discover, I've done it again... I've captured some "nice" rain drops on the lense :( but I just have to use it anyway, too late to fix. The weather conditions have been very unstable during my shooting, from - 16C to +5, sunny days, snowy days and heavy rain a big challenge in itself. Can't complain though, we've had some fatastic days in the mountains of Bjorli. I will upload my film during the day.
Good luck to all of you.

Geir Inge
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #152
Major Player

Geir: your videos are always an inspiration to me,I am sure even with rain on the lens you will still produce a stunning video as always.As for the weather....One of my mechanics here at the workshop just walk in from outside and said " I feel sorry for anyone working outside today,its hot as hell out there"
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #153
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
Well, I am trying to put my uwol short together and discover, I've done it again... I've captured some "nice" rain drops on the lense :( but I just have to use it anyway, too late to fix. The weather conditions have been very unstable during my shooting, from - 16C to +5, sunny days, snowy days and heavy rain a big challenge in itself. Can't complain though, we've had some fatastic days in the mountains of Bjorli. I will upload my film during the day.
Good luck to all of you.

Geir Inge
I can feel your anger Geir Inge! But I know you and I'm sure that you will bring up a stunning story from your trip to the mountains. I'm curious if you managed to get any muskox or other animals in those mountains?

The weather has changed dramatically here at my place too. Saturday we got -16 degrees celsius (4 F) and today it's almost spring temperature +9 degrees celsius. Glad I've finished my film during last weekend.
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #154
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
I can feel your anger Geir Inge! But I know you and I'm sure that you will bring up a stunning story from your trip to the mountains. I'm curious if you managed to get any muskox or other animals in those mountains?
Well, I didn't have time to go for the musk ox, (I spoke to the guiding company though) but I do have animals in my film :) No bird of pray either and no wild animals, but some great kids making me absoloute exhausted trying to keep up with them. I'm not sure about the quality of my film this time, but we did have a great time making it :)

Geir Inge
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #155
Major Player

Hello All:

The uploader is killing me!!!!! Hooks up and runs to maybe 190 bites and just sits and smiles at me hour after hour after hour. Anyone else having trouble....hell maybe the ones and zeros are frozen.....

Help

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #156
Trustee

Brian,
the upload process was slow but worked well for me. My file was approx. 59 MB in filesize and it took about 50 minutes to upload.

If there are several connections there might be slower to upload, maybe Kevin could answer that?
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #157
Trustee

Brian, mine was 47 mb and it took almost 35 minutes. Uncheck the box that asks if you want status, I think that may help. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #158
Trustee

Brian,
Let me know if you still are having troubles and I'll set something else up for you.
Just shoot me an email.
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #159
Trustee

Hey guys. The server is simply slow to upload to and it seems that 35mins+ is just going to be what we can expect. This is not a software issue its a server/upload connection speed issue. As long as it gets there then that is the main thing.

Brian, what browser/OS are you using and what is your connection speed/setup? Feel free to email me (mdtmail@yahoo.co.uk) if you like and we'll see if we can't get it sorted because as yet I think your the only one it isn't working for.

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #160
Major Player

I may have spoken out of turn. I'm not completely sure.... Kevin please take a look and let me know if it arrived late this afternoon.

Thanks for the input guys I only got concerned when it was over 3 hours and still very few bits were upload.

Please let me know Kevin.

Brian
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #161
Major Player

Ooops I just checked the list and its there...again thanks for the help.

Brian
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #162
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post

A bit more work on smoothing out the music score and the serious work of compression begins. Biggest hurdle there is that Windows Vista "broke" my workflow. I've been rendering to an HD MPEG4 and converting that to .mov with QT pro and Vista makes QT choke and die on MP4.

So I'll have to move that part of the process over to an older machine with XP.
Turns out I was mistaken on Vista "breaking" my usual workflow. I purchased a newer computer in Oct 07 with a dual core 5000+ processor and 3GB of RAM, it came with Vista Home Premium and I've been tearing hair out ever since. "Choking" on MPEG4 in QT, and some other sluggish issues until this morning. A Dell rep suggested I "turn off" Vista's "Aero" look so I gave that a try. So for any of you with Vista who haven't tried this yet here's where I found it:

Control Panel, select System And Maintenance, then Performance Information And Tools. Once there select Adjust Visual Effects and check the button for Adjust For Best Performance.

That will uncheck the button for Adjust For Best Appearance, and I noticed two things: The monitor display got sharper and screens loaded faster. It seems all the "pretty" stuff like glass pane borders on windows, menus sliding in and out and the generally pleasing soft look are part of what hogs some memory.

So on a hunch I tried QT on a high def MPEG4 file and it did just fine so I tried rendering that to a .mov file with the parameters used to process for UWOL submission and it worked.

Vista still isn't my favorite OS but it looks like that is what the PC "Darkside" is going to be stuck with and it is more usable than I thought
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #163
Trustee

I can't find my signup number!

'the number assigned to you in the sign-up thread"

I know - but where is it?

(there's always one)
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #164
Trustee

Paul,
your number is 16. If you look in the sign-up thread and look all the way to the right above your message, you'll find your number!
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #165
Trustee

Duh!! - If I'd read the sign up thread properly ....

Thanks Per Johan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge