UWOL #11: Relatively Infinite by Cat Russell at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM   #1
Trustee

UWOL #11: Relatively Infinite by Cat Russell

Hi all:

I must admit, I ended up loving this theme! At first I had great reservations because the topic "habitat" seemed to force us into some wildlife documentary kind of take on it which I do not have the wit or will to do. When I looked it up in the dictionary, the 2nd definition: "the place where something is commonly found" really excited me. That definition opens it up to creatively do just about anything and it got my creative juices flowing!

I personally feel that an honest film-maker can't possibly believe that their creations are due to 100% skill and 0% good fortune. I had copious amounts of good fortune on this one, and experienced a "once in a lifetime" moment where the good fortune mixed with a little inspiration made the clip seem to create itself with me just enjoying the ride.

It is what it is, and I am taking my best aim at the bull's eye with this one. I know you will all faithfully and lovingly let me know how close I came to the mark.

All the best to everyone and I am delighted to be able to repose awhile in all of your collective talent and creativity.

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Cat,

Loved the whole idea of this film.
I think it's your best work to date. I think that because I thought it was very clean and pure.

I know you love AE. You also know that you fooled me in a previous film with your AE skill.

But, this was something different. It didn't need anything else. It relied on the story and you weaved it well.

Loved your VO. Loved it even more when I found that you wrote it. It engaged me and kept me drawn in the entire film.
Loved how you brought it full circle. Makes me wonder about my place in the universe. Hopefully we're not all in some kids ant farm colony! :)

Good choice of music too.

Awesome job!!
Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Wrangler

WOW. That was great. The writing, the concept, the execution. Definitely your best work. And your voice-over worked really well, too -- who knew you had that hidden talent?? The whole pacing of this was just perfect. My only criticism would be: the dictionary definition at the beginning, while inspiring to you, is a flat way to start it. I always feel a little suspicious of dictionary definition beginnings - it's like the artist didn't really know how to start it and used a crutch.

Reminded me of that William Blake poem "Auguries of Innocence": To see heaven in a grain of sand/And heaven in a wild flower/Hold infinity in the palm of your hand/And eternity in an hour. One of my favorite UWOL-ish sentiments. I think Blake was an early UWOLer. Did I mention that I have a PhD in literature....

Great integration of effects and local scenes. I think I shot those same buffalo for a previous UWOL.

That was really moving and inspiring. You people kill me with what you can toss together in 3 weeks....

So tell us about that once in a lifetime moment....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:03 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Meryem and Kevin:

Compliments coming from the two of you mean a lot, not to mention it bringing to mind William Blake! I'll have to go dig up that poem and read it for myself. It does sound like we were inspired in the same way.

Meryem, what I meant by the "once in a lifetime moment" is how extremely fortunate I was with the subject matter. One day walking the goats I diverted in the slightest way, only to find the pool of water with the snails. I was able to go back and film 2 days later, then returning back again it was almost completely dried up! If I hadn't of gotten it when I did I would have missed it. Then the buffalo. They have so much ground to cover, and yet when I got there they all happened to be right up at the fence so I could get really close and personal! And the fence having the link spaces large enough so you could film right through the fence without it looking like there was a fence. How lucky is that? Then on the way back home, the eagle just was in full display and I could simply have my fill of that majestic bird! And amazingly, the writing of this poem fell together in one morning... you get the idea. The clip seemed to create itself which happened for Kevin and Rob too. I just felt really lucky throughout. The NASA pictures simply amazed me that they had downloadable High Resolution material free to use with credit. Usually, you only get small low res stuff that could not be possibly used in something like this. And not even to mention that finally after 8 long months of buying my first new HD camera and never being able to use it until now... was so unimaginably LIBERATING!

So after gushing and being long-winded you get the idea that usually these films come with a lot of blood, sweat and tears. But this one simply did not, and I feel humbled and blessed by the experience. I wonder how many decades will go by before that happens again? ;-).

Thanks for the watch Kevin and Meryem!

Last edited by Catherine Russell; October 23rd, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Cat,

All I can say is Unbeliveable!!!

Hope you do not mind, I will be forwarding this to a pile of my friends to watch. It isw absolultely priceless!!

Now, did you wrtie the script?!!! I personally think that this is the best uwol (for me) that I have seen over the last two years. My how time flies!!!

Some of the shots were tad shakey, but the video as a whole is great.

Your creativity makes me want to pack it in!!!! amazing stuff is all I can say.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Hey Dale:

I thought of you sometimes when making this... I don't know, I just think in some ways we are similar in our outlook and that you might appreciate this :).

Shaky shots? Ah, you are on to me! Getting used to HD filming doesn't leave you too much room to get away with imperfection!

Thanks for the comments all, and the watch.

Cat
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Cat,

Lovely film. Nice story, beautifully written and the voice over works very well. The pictures complimented the script nicely. Very poetic.

Last edited by Mihali Moore; October 23rd, 2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added name at top
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Cat,

I must say that your entry was an exceptional and very well written, and your voice out was Ace.
From a seed to outer space I love it .
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Catherine,

You keep improving, and this is your best video so far!

I like the interesting story, and how well you do the narrating.
The NASA pictures works well in your video. Amazing pictures by the way.
Just a minor detail, but the buffalo shots were a tiny bit shakey. Due to the wind?

Well done, and thank you for sharing!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Catherine,

Your film and the whole idea is great. I have watched it several times.
The poetries and the pictures fit well together.
I like the resuming effects in the end.
I believe you have written many fine poems before this?

Finn-Erik
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #11
Trustee

Hi Mihali, Ron, Trond and Finn-Erik:

Thank you so very much for the watch and the comments, I very much appreciate it.

Good heavens Trond! What a good eye you have! I've seen my clip so often I was completely blind to the movement in the buffalo shot! Thank you my friend! I'll have to go back and try to fix that. I can't believe this didn't register at all until you pointed it out. I wonder if that was what Dale was referring to as well. Just goes to show how imported it is to have more than your own set of critical eyes!

Finn-Erik: I am so impressed with all of our Norwegian challengers and I wish I could write and speak Norwegian as well as all of you write and speak English. Thank you for your comment, but to be honest I haven't written a poem since I was a little girl and wrote a poem entitled "What is Blue". I can actually still remember that poem! I guess this time I was inspired and it sort of fell together.

I appreciate the reviews, thanks all.

Cat
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Cat,

What a cool concept in both writing and image. It was very Dr. Seuss like...it had a storybook like feel that I truly enjoyed. I think you might be developing a niche in children's tales.

I can feel your passion for spirituality through this film and the quality showed.

Entertaining, fun to watch, and it kept me wondering what was next...thank you so much for this film, I truly enjoyed it.

Jeff
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #13
Major Player

Nice one Cat.
I love the philosophical view in you film. Maybe it becomes a bit too religious, for me, in the end, but I guess that ok…
Nice effects and a strong story.
You poetry work was splendid… very well done Cat.

Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #14
Trustee

Thanks Jeff for the watch and comments!

Markus, you are a really good sport to look past the religious stuff in the end and still pick out the things you enjoyed. It takes a good critic to do that!

Appreciate the watch and the comments you all!

Cat
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Hey Cat.

Nice film, and quite, what's the word,,,, spiritual.... Good writing and great narration....also a lot more on theme, than many....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge