UWOL Announcements and Discussion - Talk Amongst Yourselves! - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:50 AM   #91
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
There would be no theme announced -- the topic would be your choice, but it would have to fit the spirit of UWOL.
This is from Meryem's first post...
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:56 AM   #92
Wrangler

It seems unlikely to me that someone would do a complete 180 at the 11th hour, that would be a lot of work stuffed into a short time frame, but I do expect many of the projects to evolve in new, even radically new, directions, over time. As long as your film is following a logical, visible trajectory of development, I'll allow it. Since we have five posting opportunities to track it, I don't think this will be difficult to observe.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM   #93
Inner Circle

Marg,

Just a couple thoughts: On the short challenges I can see this kind of thing happening and it has with oftentimes the person changing their project, but still on theme, and a few tankers because of it.

On a long challenge such as this I suspect people will be doing something they arre passionate about and know just what they can do with it. I would actually not expect to see the problems we see in the short form.

I think Meryem has been pretty understanding of the various issues people have come up against and I am certain that will continue within reason.

Hope we can start shooting soon, I need winter footage that is presently available to me!!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM   #94
Wrangler

Hi Dale: One of the distinguishing features of the long-form is that you can start shooting immediately, as soon as you sign up, and we are about 2 weeks away, so I hope you'll be able to get the footage that you have in mind.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM   #95
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to establish how far players would be locked into their topic once they had decided on it.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #96
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Meryem,

I personally weould like to have them at different times, perhaps by a month.

1. This allows me to focus on the short form with no worries.

2. I always need the full time frame to complete these, never quick and easy for me.

3. while I will be working all the time on the long form I would prefer not to have excess pressure for either one.

4. If they are both at a similar time I fear if things do not go just right I may end up in the shark tank. Want to stay out of there.

5. It also sprreads out the response time so one will not feel overwhelmed setting at the computer for continious hours as you would like to give a prompt response.
I agree with Dale...
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #97
Trustee

...me too! Fully agree with Dale. I'm planning to take part in both challenges if possible...
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #98
Trustee

My concern is this. I want to enter the long challenge, however, I will not be able to shoot any of the video till the end of May early Jun. So how can I turn in feedback footage in Feb and May? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #99
Major Player

I am considering entering the long one and the point Bob brings up is quite valid.
What I want to do would not require filming until April and then on and off for a couple more months, followed by hours of editing. Although a lot of ground work would take place before April hide building etc, there would be little need for any filming.

I am sure entrants from all over the world with different season are going to encounter similar problems, maybe there is a need to look at the number of clips that need to be uploaded. Maybe an idea would be that you have to submit 3 out of 4 and you can opt out of which one you wish.

Just a though

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #100
Wrangler

no interviews, nothing? no effects work?

That's good feedback, but I really think it has more to do with your guys' thought process on whether this is right for you, or not. If I make these sorts of exceptions or complicated sets of rules, then it becomes my responsibility to track them.

That may be something to consider for the following year, but the first time around, it is important to keep the structure of things tight, while making periodic allowances for some specific circumstances.

("I'm getting married tomorrow and forgot that my wedding is on the same day as the deadline, can I post a day late??" Well, ok.)

After doing this for two years, you learn to keep things relatively simple. Or lose your mind. Whichever comes first!
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #101
Wrangler

hey UWOLers...just a note on the long-form sign-up...

the sign-up thread will appear during the last week of December - i am putting it off a bit, because of the DVC/UWOL charity round.

but keep in mind that if you shoot something for the charity round, 3 minutes' worth is also eligible to be included in your long-form, so if you sign up for the charity round (sign ups are open and ongoing), then you can still be acquiring footage for your long-form piece, even before you sign-up for it.

since the theme is COLD, many of you should be able to do double-duty....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge