BobSafay-Galapagos Islands-Long Form - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #16
Trustee

I just figured out I had to post the link. Sorry about that. I am glad you all like my little plan. Anne, you are right about a broader view than the pond and putting in a larger may to show distance before the larger map. And Mike, you are right about now going with the Darwin angle. A bit over played. Chris, Montana ain't to bad either, I worked at Glacier the summer of......well lets just say a long time ago. Oh, during packing throwing in the UWOL T-shirt was a last minute idea, did look good though didn't it. Bob

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/longfor...OLLongForm.mov
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #17
Trustee

Another classic... 'Journey' concept and what better place than the Galapagos! The home of evolution...well kinda :-) Anyway, I like the angle of showing the effects of tourism on even places such as this where tourism is actually capped if I'm not mistaken.

I bet you will see some amazing things and I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I don't know whether you are qualified in scuba but there are some fantastic dives out there. Oh and you must capture me some footage of the marine iguanas, amazing creatures !

Loving the uwol t-shirt in your packing video.....I must of course ;-) !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #18
Regular Crew

It looks great so far, Bob! Looking forward to more of the video!!
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #19
Major Player

Finally managed to view your video. Very nice start to a very promising movie.

I couldn't help thinking as I was watching, what incredible lengths we have to go to to produce a movie. I bet you were really miffed having to put all that stuff away again!
Anyway I'm sure you are looking forward to the day when you can really pack those clothes and climb on the plane to your Destination - Galapagos!

Wonderful topic.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #20
Trustee

Hi ya'll, well I posted my update last night on the uwol web page but have no idea where it went, only that "they" received it. I am not IT savvy. Anyway, once I find it I will set up a link. Bob
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #21
Trustee

Hi Bob:

It's up, and it is awesome! Great start. Informative, perfectly set up. I am so happy for you! How long are you going to be there? This was very enjoyable, and you haven't even gotten there yet.

Nice touch with the UWOL t-shirt. I laughed. Way to go guy. And, you have a nice home by the way.

Cat

P.S. Smooth camera work in the car. Was it on a stabilizer?
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #22
Major Player

Well you did a great job of setting us up for what is to come. Fun piece, and like Cat said, informative. A good primer. The sight gag was fun as well. I thought of you as I struggled to get something up and was thinking the entire time - HE will have SOMETHING and he can't really post much of ANYTHING until he is back from going THERE!

I'm really anxious to see your footage when you return. When are your trip dates again?

Chris Swanberg

ps..Nice to see your face too... now have an image to accompany the name on the screen !
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM   #23
Trustee

Today, today I leave for Machu Picchu and the Galapagos. Finally I will be able to get some videoing done for the long form. Bob
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #24
Trustee

Bob, how is Machu Picchu, Galapagos? I believe your're still there! Hopefully you got the footage you need for your film.

Nice to see you in person in your second entry, Bob. Did you manage to get all your gear with you at the flight, looked like you had some load of accessories there!

I'm eagerly waiting for next episode, watching some of the footage you got there. Hope to hear from you soon how it was being there!
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #25
Major Player

I was reminded of Indiana Jones when you were packing for the trip. Great into to your upcoming film...more of a teaser I would say...I'm hooked...looking forward to seeing the footage you capture.
Old June 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #26
Trustee

Well I am back from Machu Picchu and the Galapagos. And all I can say is WOW what a trip. I ended up shooting over 7 hours of video. You literally have to step over the nesting Booby Birds and sleeping sea lions. I have never gotten that close to wildlife before. The sound of thousands of frigate birds and fur seals make for incredable audio.

Per, I was able to get the Canon XL-2 with 20 and 3x as carry on. Brought a tripod with me but was never able to use it. Not allowed at Machu Picchu (see below) and not practical getting in and out of the small rubber rafts (Pangas) carrying a tripod, Canon XL-2, 3x lens, water bottle and life vest. No problem with electrical power at either place.

Now for the warning. Seems like Machu Picchu is doing the same as our National Parks as far as equipment. Just before going to the city our guide looked at my XL-2 and said. We have a problem. Seems that they will consider this camcorder, or even a digital like the Mark II with 400 mm lens as "Professional" and want to charge you a permit fee. And from what my guide said was not cheap. We ended up disassembling the Canon and he took in the body, my wife took the 20x and 3x lens and I had the viewfinder/mic. Each time I wanted to video I had to assemble it all, video, then stash the equipment. The second day we went in the same way, Canon hidden in three backpacks. This time all I took in was the 3x which is a little smaller, so I decided to just keep shooting until a guard asked me to leave. Fortunately I was able to finish the day with no problems however, my guide was approched three times and asked how much I had to pay to get the permit.
Attached Thumbnails
BobSafay-Galapagos Islands-Long Form-machu-picchu-189-.jpg   BobSafay-Galapagos Islands-Long Form-galapagos-678-.jpg  

BobSafay-Galapagos Islands-Long Form-galapagos-679-.jpg  
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #27
Major Player

Welcome home, you renegade shooter you!

Must have been quite an experience... 7 hours eh? You have your work cut out for you editing I suspect.

Hope you maybe can throw up something for us to see, even unedited... I mean after all, we'll all along for the ride and it's just getting good!

As a FWIW... I have been playing with the trial version of Mercalli Prodad deshaker and find that it improves pretty much anything I handhold. If you are not using a deshaker program you might want to investigate that if you are a Parkinson's like hand holder such as I am.
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #28
Trustee

Chris, thanks. Where do I find the deshaker program? Here is a short clip I put up on YouTube. Bob

YouTube - Galapagos
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #29
Major Player

Bob - here is a link: proDAD - Mercalli -- Video Stabilizer

There is a trial version that is full featured, it just places a watermark on the result.
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #30
Major Player

Bob... fascinating stuff.... the iguana snorting water out of his nostrils was priceless !

Oh and, you have a steadier hand than I. (g).
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge