Bryce Comer-The last remaining mountain caribou-Long form - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 30th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Ok, now i'm starting to get excited. I was lucky enough to get some more mountain caribou footage last weekend. Light was really nice too, so that helped a lot.
I bet you are very relieved about that Bryce! So glad for you. Time is getting rather short for these projects now and we all have so much to do still.

You're right about seeing such beautiful things when out filming wildlife - I saw my first otters in the wild on Saturday - a family of six - made my day!! It was freezing cold too! Now that I have found their well-used pathway I am going to stake them out. Hopefully I will get some nice footage too.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:04 PM   #47
Trustee

Hi Marj,
Yes i am relieved that i am getting footage for my project, never the less, it seems the more i get, the more i am starting to think i need!! You're right, time is running short, & i'm sure the last half of this challenge will go very very quickly. I still haven't got my editing computer here in Canada, so i'm sweating on that a bit as i need it to put my film together. The laptop i have is simply nowhere near powerful enough to be able to edit all the footage i have let alone the fact that it simply won't handle HDV material at all. Hopefully i will have the computer in the next month or so & i can get to work on it.
Great to hear you saw your first otters. That must have been a wonderful thing to see. There are otters around here, but i haven't yet been lucky enough to see one. Maybe i would have more chance if i weren't up in the mountains in search of the caribou for every spare bit of my time!
Hope your film is coming along well,
Bryce
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #48
Trustee

Ok, so it looks like i have got an interview with the biologist that is in charge of the mountain caribou for the BC government. I'm thinking of just asking him to give me his thoughts on how things are going with what's being done currently to help thier plight, & whre he sees things in the not too distant future. I will have to write a list of topics i want to make sure are covered, but hope to let him just give me his thoughts. I have never done any interviewing, so if anyone would be willing to help me out with how i should go about it, it would be much appreciated.
Bryce
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #49
Major Player

Bryce... are you asking technique for lighting, sound etc, or more generally how to go about interviewing a subject from more of a communicative sense?
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #50
Trustee

Hi Chris,
I'm hoping to be able to do the interview somewhere outside in a natural setting where i don't need lighting. I feel that sort of setting will go better with the film & will make the cuttaways more subtle.
So yes, any ideas you have on the communicative side of things would be a massive help. I'm thinking of simply having a list of open questions so hopefully he will give me his thoughts on those issues & i can then use snippets from the interview to cut into the film where it makes sense. As i write this it all sounds very simple but i'm sure it's not, so if anyone has any ideas, or suggestions i would be very grateful.
Regards,
Bryce
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #51
Trustee

Hi Bryce.
Love your film and as I’ve told you before, you’ve got quite a job ahead of you :)

Interview:
I am not an expert, but here’s my advice on doing interviews.
You can do an interview without showing an interviewer, or by showing an interviewer. The first is the easiest option, I think. All the same it’s very important to brief the one to be interviewed. If you are showing the interviewer, remember face directions – not the same way as your interviewee.
You have to make sure you ask the right questions, so you get the right information (answers) for your film. Also it’s important to remember this when it comes to edit process. It’s easier to edit an answer like, “I am 50 years old”, rather then “50”, or "I've been working as a teacher for over 20 years", rather then "20 years". If you’re showing the interviewer, remember to record “noddies”, over the shoulder shots (both sides, interviewer and interviewee, if possible) and the interviewer asking the question(s). I have done some interviews myself, and I think a lot lies in the planning of it. Some cutaways will also do, from the same area.
I try to avoid asking yes and no questions. You can avoid these kinds of answers in the briefing process, together with your interviewee. If it’s taking place outside, I guess the light is no problem, keep in mind though if it’s heavy sunlight :)
Remember to look at your interviewee as he speaks, and nod your head as you’re interested in what he says. He will then hopefully act more natural. Most people are not familiar with being interviewed, so it’s your job to make them relax and feel comfortable.
If you only got one camera, an interview is no problem. It just takes a bit more time, as you have to record one thing after another. Also important is the sound, remember to get good sound without unnecessary noise.
Remember: the looking room (rule of thirds), get some close-ups, mid and wides.
Wish you good luck and remember to record some noddies :)

Geir Inge
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #52
Trustee

Thanks Geir for all the fantastic tips,
I was just thinking about sending him an email with some of the topics i would like to cover so he is more prepared, & more likely to be able to talk freely about those topics. I don't think i will do the interviewer (me) & the interviewee together but rather ask the questions & let him answer, & film his responses. I will also only have the one camera since my HV20 is no longer working.
Sound will be a bit of a concern as i still don't have all of my equipment here yet so will be working with just a shotgun mic. I may actually have to enlist the help of a friend & make up a boom pole & buy a long XLR cable for the shoot.
I'm not sure, but i would imagine being in the position he's in, he would be more aware of what goes on in an interview than i am myself, so i will have to make sure i am well prepared & not waste any of his time. I think i will have to watch some current affairs programs before hand & prepare myself well.
I'm not sure yet when the interview will happen, & not sure what time of the day i will be able to do the shoot, so that of course will have an influence on light & perhaps where i do the shoot. Maybe if it has to be in the middle of the day i could find a nice shady park or something to difuse the light??
Thanks again for the tips, i definately have more to think about now, & at least i'm starting to formulate a bit of a plan.
Regards,
Bryce
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #53
Major Player

Bryce

If you get a chance, look at some of Ken Burns stuff... The WAR had a number of interviews thoughout it. Even if you do interview outdoors, I recommend a reflector be handy to fill in dark spots. The overall difference is worth it.

I tend to prefer the interviewer be neither seen nor heard for my work. This requires that you spend some time before every segment explaining what you are hoping for your viewer to get from what the interviewee has to say. Tell them that if you DO butt in and ask a question to refocus them, that they then incorporate the question into the answer. Example:

Q. How long have caribou been using this particular migration route?
A (bad) As far as we know, since the beginning of time. (no reference)
A. (good) As best we know, Caribou have been using this migration route from before recorded history.

I also try and think of places where a VO would be beneficial in the film and try and elicit little VO snippets to use when I can. Nice to have in the can if you chose to add a little variety. You might even have a rough "script" for these.

I have also listened to the interviewee do a particularly good segment only to screw it up somewhere or miss a chance to finish an explanation as I might want it finished. I am not above discussing what they said and didn't say and reshooting that segment a time or two. I always offer praise when I do this so as not to put them in a defensive posture.

Also, don't center your subject unless you plan to have him or her speak directly into the lens (and to your audience). Off to one side with a little nose room on the other into which they are looking is always a good idea... I've broken this rule on occasion when a setup was hasty and I was fighting for space for the camera and the background was not cooperating, and always regretted it.

Finally, give yourself time. No rushing. You will not do your best job and your interview subject will feel that sense of rush and it will affect their delivery as well. My 2 cents worth.

Good luck.

Chris

ps. Use a wired lavalier. I'll happily loan you one if you need it. (I have a spare SONY ECM-77b wanting to visit Canada).
pps. No rushing.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #54
Trustee

Fantastic stuff thank you Chris. I will definately keep these points in mind when i'm planning the interview. I will definately have to plan this well to do justice to the tips i have already recieved from yourself & Geir.
Regards,
Bryce
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #55
Major Player

Hi Bryce

I am dismayed to hear you are possibly down - after all that interesting stuff you have gathered so far! I sincerely hope you are only down and not out - its like losing good team members having you and Jeff missing this round.

Marj

Last edited by Marj Atkins; August 19th, 2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:47 PM   #56
Trustee

Hi Marj, & everyone,
Well it looks like i will miss this round, putting me out of the challenge. I have been working away from home & have not had access to power, let alone a computer! The job i have been working on has seen me camping on the shores of Christina lake in British Columbia. I am back for the weekend, but unfortunately won't have the chance to get stuck into anything on my project since my parents will be coming here to visit me in just over 2 weeks & have lots to do on my apartment in order to get it in to shape for them to stay.
I will continue to work on my film since i have already invested considerable time in it, & would love to see it come to fruition. If it's ok with Meryem & all the other players, i would love to continue with the challenge, even though it will be disqualified from the judging etc.
Best Regards,
Bryce
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM   #57
Trustee

Hi Bryce.

Sad to hear you're out of ULF.
I think you have a very good story to tell and I'm very pleased to hear you will continue to work on it. I really hope to see it finished and wish you good luck.
As for the matter of continue with the challenge it's all right by me.
If I'm not mistaken, in some of the short versions of Uwol there have been compeeters participating with films, but disqualified from the judging. I can't see no harm in the same procedure in ULF. But I guess Meryem got the final word about this matter.

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:22 AM   #58
Major Player

Hi Bryce

Just to say I am very glad you are not abandoning this project. It has so much potential. So much can happen during the year that cannot possibly be anticipated - a real pity.

Enjoy having your folks round!

Marj
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM   #59
Trustee

Bryce, keep working on it, you had some great stuff and I will love to see it finished. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #60
Wrangler

Sorry you missed, but keep working, Bryce. Our goal is to facilitate everyone's creativity...you don't need the contest to finish. Perhaps you only needed it to get started....

...you can bet the players will still help you out, if you just decide to play along to the finish...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge