UWOL 22 I wonder by Gordon Hoffman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL 22 I wonder by Gordon Hoffman

I don't know how many evenings I stared at the computer monitor without a clue how I was going to make a video on The Little Things. But I'm fairly happy with what I ended up with. I'm using a new editing system which I really need to sit down and read the manual.
I cheated a fair amount by using a couple of GoPro cameras. Setting them out and coming back in a couple hours to pick them up. The rest was shot on a GH2 and one photo shot on my smart phone.

UWOL 22

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL 22 I wonder by Gordon Hoffman

Hello Gordon. You chose a very interesting subject. I loved the GoPro clips- they really made the show. Even with all the action you achieved a very introspective feeling that befit your title well. I hope you’ll continue to gather ground squirrel footage because with the kind of shots you are getting I think you will be able to put together a great longer piece. As for UWOL, I can’t wait to see what you come up with next- hopefully under less trying weather conditions. Nice work!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Major Player

I really enjoyed the video a lot. The GoPro footage gave a real sense of immediacy. The regular footage put things in context, and I liked the juxtaposition of a wide range of shots. It gave a real sense of the ground squirrels and their habitat. As is always the case, there is a lot to wonder about. Thanks for sharing the dynamic world of ground squirrels.

Ruth
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Trustee

Hello Gordon.

You have put together a nice story out of the chipmunks life and being.
Where you sit at the prairie and wonder of the little things in life.
You create a great movie out of this and I am with you all the way through.
Was it a coyote I saw right next to the old fence? The chipmunks warning sound was fine.
Hibernaton is a very interesting subject, glad you made it part of your film.
I agree with you. There are so many things in nature that we wonder about.
At 0:51, where the chipmunk jumps across the snow was fun to watch,
and of course at the end where it examines the camera - very good.
All in all a great, informative and interesting film.
Editing, colors and sound is all fine too.

All the best.

Geir Inge
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #5
Wrangler

Gordon, when it comes time for me to watch one of your films I settle in with a smile on my face, knowing I am in for a treat. It has been too long between entries, so I'm so glad you made this one, as it didn't disappoint.

Throughout the film I wondered, as you did, if the ground squirrels really do "take it all in stride." I chose to think (hope) that they do. Surely, they don't ruin a perfectly good sun/rain/wind/snow day worrying like humans do. :)

Your transition from more philosophical wonderings to wondering how they would react to your POV camera made me laugh. It worked seamlessly, even though it kind of shouldn't have! I chalk that up to your conversational speaking style, and loved the ensuing show put on by the curious ground squirrel. What a great idea...I'm glad you wondered about it and decided to find out. It turned into a delightful and entertaining way to finish the piece.

Thank you, Gordon. I'll be watching this again when I need to remember that my big things are really little in the scheme of "things." :)
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

gordon,

The point of view footage of the gopher (local name for a richardson ground squirrel) was my absolute favorite!! I really like them even though most people want to exterminate them!!

the musings made the story.

I need to get one of those go pro for a number of cool shots I could get!! your footage inspired me to try some new ideas for my spring video I have been working on for three years. I may never get it done if you keep giving me new ideas to add to it!!

A very pleasurable short to watch!!!

thanks for taking the time to participate!!!
Old April 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Mike. They are interesting little critters. I got lucky with the GoPros but I hope to get some more footage as I've got some nice badger footage last summer that I want to use.
As for the weather it was actually pretty good for this time of year.

Hi Ruth. Glad you liked it. The GoPros worked better than I thought they would. When the young ones come out I'll have to go at it again. That should be real interesting. Thanks.

Hi Geir Inge. The ground squirrels where handy to work with but I had no idea at the beginning how I was going make a video with them. I've always found them interesting and always wonder why the old males are back hibernating by late June.
Yes that was a coyote that you saw. I almost missed that shot, as I was videoing the ground squirrels at the time and just happen to glance up as it was leaving.
The ground squirrel jumping through the snow I thought was neat to but was a tad out of focus.
Thanks for watching and all the best to you to.

Thanks Lorinda. I had to look when you commented when I signed up and it was way back at #9 for the last video I did. I'll definitely play again now that I've got a computer that can handle my footage.
That last shot I got the first day I put out the cameras and I wanted to use it but didn't have a clue for the longest time. I just kept collecting footage, staring at it in the evenings and it wasn't until a few days before the deadline that the idea struck me.
I've always been told that it's better to be lucky than skillful. Thanks again and I really appreciate your comments.

Hi Dale. Yep gopher is what most people know them as. They definitely have their place though sometimes when they get into the crop I have to put some control on them.
I have wondered what the GoPro would be like on a Sharptail lek? See there I go again! I think you could make good use of a pov camera.
I'll definitely play again if I've got the time.
Thank you for watching.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Hoffman; April 4th, 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #8
Major Player

I wonder. Yes I wonder what life would be like if we had to return to pre internet, pre video days.

The gopher. Another small creature I've heard of but never seen. It was delightful to see and hear your observations of this small animal going about it daily life after a long hibernation. What can I say. Another top notch wildlife film shot with attention to detail and perfection. Can proudly sit there with the best of them.
Well done and congratulations.
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #9
Major Player

Gordon, that was excellent. Another educational nature short to show the kids. 8 months in hibernation, that's a long time. The story and visual flowed well, with the wide, medium, close, and extreme close. At one point a little too extreme close if you know what I mean. I wasn't sure what part of the country it was in, but it looked pretty cold. Good sound bites. Not sure if that was a wolf or a coyote, but it must have tough to get that shot. Your video had the look of those old Disney shorts we used to see in grade school.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Owen. I know I would have more time to do other things if I didn't have the internet but some things would be a lot harder to do.
Not sure about the perfection part but I always enjoy being out shooting video of wildlife. Your comments much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Bill. It wasn't that hard to get some footage on the ground squirrels so that helps when it comes to editing.
With the GoPros it was more luck than anything and I looked through a lot of footage to get a few good shots. It was interesting how each one reacted to the cameras.
As for the weather it's Canada eh!
It was a coyote and the really tough part was finding it in the view finder.
I was using a 150 to 500 manual focus lens on the GH2 in etc mode to get some tight shots of the ground squirrels and just happen to notice it sneaking away.
Thanks Bill.

Gordon
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Gordon,
I like the idea of leaving the camera and come back later. I've never done that before. Most of the time, I usually only see lots of tracks after the animals, but hardly ever the animals themselves. Have to try this out sometime.

You have an interesting story, and I learned something new from you. Thanks!
I look forward to see what you come up with next time. Keep up you good work.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Trond
Leaving the cameras out will get you a lot of footage to look through but sometimes not much to show for it. It's always fun looking to see what you might have got though. You have to make sure your camera is well protected from animals that may come across it. Some bears just seem to have to bite things that they are curious about and a GoPro in its' housing wouldn't have much of a chance.
Thanks a lot and I hope you've got your computer working again.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge