UWOL Challenge #29 "[in]visible light" by Marj Atkins at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:37 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL Challenge #29 "[in]visible light" by Marj Atkins

The nature and content of this story was basically determined by the weather. We had rain for almost two weeks solid so I was forced to do something that I could film indoors.

In order to achieve what I set out to do I used the time indoors to play around with different effects and do a few motion graphics. I gave myself the additional challenge of filming with a black background. Ninety percent of the filming was done at night basically because I was using two little LED UV torches to light some of the subjects.

Jelly fish and scorpions are probably the most famous animals with the ability to fluoresce so I felt it would be good to include both. The brief shot of the jellyfish came from my ‘By Design’ movie and used as permitted by the rules and the scorpion came from my box of dead insects and arachnids – despite much searching I could not find a single live scorpion in my garden because of the wet conditions!

As it turned out I did not have to throw out all of the shots that I took during our stay at a game lodge at the beginning of the month as I initially thought I would.

I learned a tremendous amount in the process as usual and was quite fascinated to discover all the things in my home that fluoresce.

Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL Challenge #29 "[in]visible light" by Marj Atkins

Marj, I'm linking to your film here, so you have it in your own thread as well.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Trond - Was already busy doing that! :)
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

A nice video can never be seen too often. :)
I'll comment more later about your film.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Trustee

As usual Marj,
you have amazed me with the level of detail in your film. So much information, & really good information too. I was only talking the other day about how my camouflaged gear seemed to light up under the ultra violet light of the camera, & it looks like you have answered why that is in your video! Amazing stuff. I will definitely have to look further into this as just like flashing neon signs catch our attention, i'm sure with that gear on, i'm attracting a lot of attention too!
Thanks for another very informative film!
Regards,
Bryce
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Major Player

Well done Marj. I'll look at my bananas and peanut butter differently now!

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
... I was only talking the other day about how my camouflaged gear seemed to light up under the ultra violet light of the camera, & it looks like you have answered why that is in your video! Amazing stuff. I will definitely have to look further into this as just like flashing neon signs catch our attention, i'm sure with that gear on, i'm attracting a lot of attention too!
That is quite amazing Bryce - you won't believe this but when I was checking the camo fabric I use to cover my camera I was wondering if your camouflage outfit glowed or not. Apparently camo fabric made in China has brighteners in it while some other manufacturers leave them out. Fortunately there are products that eliminate this flourescence if you don't want to buy a new outfit - just google it.

I also found this whole business quite astounding when I first discovered it. Fortunately most of my outfits (summer/winter) don't glow. Just goes to show it is not what we see that counts but what animals see.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hoffman View Post
Well done Marj. I'll look at my bananas and peanut butter differently now!

Gordon
Just don't mix them together - they may explode! :)
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Major Player

Oh yes - my apoogies Bryce and Gordon - I had a few distractions when I posted my replies to this and forgot to thank you for your comments.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Major Player

Well done, Marj. Very nice research and execution. I’m glad you were able to use the game ranch shots as they added a lot. I always admire your animations. What were you using for the black background and how was it lit? Or perhaps I’m asking how it was not lit. How did you avoid light spill onto the background? And how did that scorpion creep in there! :) The wipe-on with the UV is very effective. Wish I’d have thought of that!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:12 PM   #11
Major Player

Entertaining and informative - I totally need to get a UV torch now. A great concept and you made good use of the imposed limitations - raining so much.
Maybe that explains why I didn't see much wildlife on my journey, they saw another neon scarecrow.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #12
Major Player

Your films Marg are always well researched, informative and that therefore makes them a pleasure to watch. You certainly understand your animation program and put a lot of work into producing this entry. I always find it hard to offer critique on others work in the UWOL challenges, especially as time restraints etc make it very difficult for all of us to gather all the elements we need to make a watchable film. My only comment is that I found the flow of the film at times is maybe a tad to pacey to fully take in all the facts as they were given. Or maybe its me just getting old!!!
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Marj,

You have already got some good feedback, and I agree with what has been said.
So I'll just chime in and say I very much enjoyed watching your film.
You always have a strong story and a great VO, combined with the visuals and the effects.
This was a good one!

Well done.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #14
Major Player

Thank you all for your encouraging comments.

Mick
A ‘tad pacey’. Not surprising - that’s my style – usually the direct result of squeezing a one hour movie into four minutes. . . and to think I was intending to do a music video this time round with NO talking at all for a change!

Andrew
Ha ha – I wonder if I should ask for commission on all the torches that everyone will be buying?! Mmm – maybe there is a business opportunity here. . . :)

Thanks Trond. Appreciate your kind comments.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Marj,

i first echo what the other commenters have said - I thought the graphics were very well done, and informative - I especially liked the combination of image and graph, which along with your excellent (as always) commentary did a very good job of explaining the subject. I though the inclusion of the clothes gave an interesting twist to the story, and your ¨animal eye¨ views fascinating.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge