What is it? by Cat Russell - UWOL 36 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 4th, 2015, 12:02 PM   #61
Trustee

Re: What is it? by Cat Russell - UWOL 36

Hi Kevin:

My feedback thread can be hijacked anytime! I'm with you all the way and looking forward to February. Let me be a testimony to anyone who feels shy about learning this stuff... it's worth it 1,000 x over to ask about what you need to know. It's obvious people on this forum really support a willing heart to learn. No shame in that!

Did you see Bob's comment? He's driving out to Colorado and RMNP this coming July and we are planning to meet up. It's yours for the taking too if you can. With 6 months of planning, perhaps I can rope in Meryem too. Just consider it a trial run to the real deal next October?

Hi Bryce:

I've reworked all "animal" footage taken with the JVC, especially the birds of course. The sky/clouds seemed to do okay. I'm rendering a new final now. All the shots are cleaner if you really study them, but the birds obviously really stand out as an improvement. Funny, it's all of about 8 seconds of the entire clip, but worth it!

Hey Gordon:
I haven't used MediaInfo. Is it a free download from the web? If you find it useful, I most likely will too.

Hi Trond:
Yup, see what you guys encouraged me to do? Much better, nest pas? :)
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #62
Trustee

I usually have a week or two around the 4th of July off.

Might see if Karina wants to take a road trip
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #63
Trustee

Now you're talking ... :) ... And remember to bring that spare camera you mentioned I could try out ;-)
Old December 5th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #64
Major Player

Hi Cat
Yes mediainfo is a free download. I don't use it a lot but it can help a person to get information of a video clip when needed. I was doing a little seaching on the net on TOD files and it's interesting. Someday maybe you could up load or send a short file straight off your camera for a person to play around with.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #65
Trustee

Hi Cat and I'm so glad you're back.
I have missed your nice comments and your films.

You are spot on the theme and I give you a dice of 6 for originality.
At first I thought there was too much info, but given as a ryhme I think it works fine.
No offend, but I think you can benefit from having less stills and more live video.
I'm not sure I can add more then allready been said.
It will be a tough round between the top three this time.
Thank you for sharing and hope to see you next round.
Cheers!
Old December 5th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #66
Trustee

Cat,

I think we're only going to spend a week in the UK for the UWOL meetup so that increases the chances I can get to Colorado next year.

It'll suck that the elk will still be in velvet but we'll make it work.

I'll bring a HPX250 for you to play with.:)
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #67
Trustee

Hi Geir:

Great insight and I think you're correct with no offense taken. Less stills and more video would work better. All this is good feedback for next time!

Kevin:

I'm simply delighted! I'll connect up with Meryem and let her know what is brewing for July. And thanks for considering bringing along the spare camera.
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #68
Major Player

Hi Cat

this was definitely an original and well put together video to bring something unique to UWOL. Great concept and information that got included.

I would agree with Geir about the still images - it felt like the video shots flowed really nicely with a rhythm to the movement along with the words, but then the stills felt jarring by contrast. Perhaps zooming in a little and panning, or otherwise animating them may have avoided the switch from dynamic to static images. And the freeze frame at 0:50 felt the same, if you're using Adobe you could possibly time warp to stretch the clip as the speed winds down but doesn't quite stop. The stills still served the story, it just seemed like the video portion better matched the vocal rhythm and music.

I'll preface this next one with, to a foreign ear, I felt the delivery could be a little different for the VO for this piece. I thought it would benefit from less modality within each word, helping to highlight the modality across each phrase / sentence. I guess that translates to it sometimes sounded like multiple words within a sentence were emphasized, but maybe reduce that to one or two. It helps to focus the listener in a deliberate way, picking where to place the inflections. This is me nit picking, and I can't even find the best way to describe it. It's also coming from a speaker of the laziest English dialect to exist. That said I think the cadence worked well, it was timed in with the editing and really propelled the story along with the music.

An enjoyable piece that gets you thinking, thanks for sharing.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #69
Trustee

Hey Andrew:

Points well made and very constructive. The insights on the modality of the VO phrasing is really insightful and something I would not have considered-- even sitting in front of this video for a year!

Cheers to all for your feedback. I feel like you've equipped me to be very much improved next round. How cool is that?
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge