UWOL 53 - Passerines by Geir Inge B. Brekke at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 2nd, 2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL 53 - Passerines by Geir Inge B. Brekke

I first thought about filming red deer.
Then I got sick and had to change my plans.
It became a more short-lived affair (closer to home),
but not necessarily easier.
So here is some information on counting garden birds.

Parts of the Norwegian bird fauna choose to overwinter in Norway rather than migrate to southern regions.
Some species also come from areas east and north of Norway to spend the winter with us.
As birds burn their food faster when it is cold than when the temperature is higher,
they need more food in the winter than in other seasons.
In winter, food supply is significantly less than usual,
and since most bird species are day-active and stay quiet at night,
the shorter daylight hours in winter will make them less likely to find the food they need.
This means that the life of an overwintering bird basically consists of two things:
searching for food and saving energy by relaxing and sleeping when daylight is over.
The increased need for food means that birds approach humans more in winter than in spring and summer.
One of the objectives of the garden bird count is to highlight how climate change is changing the species
composition of wintering birds in Norway and the Nordic countries.
By gathering this type of information from many participants we can better gain an understanding of
variations in the occurrence of small birds in the wintery Nordic region.
I appreciate your comments.

Old December 3rd, 2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL 53 - Passerines by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Hi Geir Inge. Interesting message and the number of birds you get is pretty neat. Kept the cat entertained to. One thing I think would have been nice is a little more ambience sound. You had some with the magpies which adds a lot as far as I'm concerned. The slomo was nice. What was the frame rate on those shots? Birds can be a challenge to get good sharp shots of as a couple of shots show. I enjoy watching birds and you have a lot I never get to see. Thanks for showing it.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Geir, good to see so many birds visiting your garden, and in such large numbers. We also have the same species visiting our garden, but more individuals rather than flocks. Although we have siskins all year round many yours do migrate to us for the winter period. Great to see bramblings that are almost exclusive winter visitors to us.

Bearing in mind all your family illnesses this round you have done well to submit this entry. I like the way you have linked the family element of the challenge to the whole passeriformes group as opposed to one species within it, and weaving into the story the conservation importance of your countries garden bird count.. We also have something similar in the UK. Really enjoyed watching, well done.
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2019, 06:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hei Geir Inge,

Nice film you made. Nice mix of close ups and wider shots.

Yes, the birds have a hard time finding enough food during the cold, short winter days. I always feed the birds at our cabin on the Hardangervidden too. Very popular for the small birds.

You usually get the sound levels perfectly set, but this round it sounds like parts of your VO is a little hot. Reducing it a few dB, would solve it.

Thanks for sharing! Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 06:08 AM   #5
Trustee

Geir, you really have a lot of birds there. I enjoyed the unique and different camera angles you used. How many different birds do you have? You submitted a very well done entry. I really enjoyed the narration and of course the maps in the beginning were great, I now have a better idea of how far north you are. Good job, Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2019, 06:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks for the comments you made to my video, something I really appreciate.
In my garden I find all the birds listed at the end of the video.
In addition, the gray heron and forest pigeon nest nearby,
as well as some white-tailed eagle, sparrowhawk and northern goshawk in the area.
Thanks for the thought Michael, my family and I have been through a small storm this fall.
Fortunately, things are much better now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge