UWOL 63 - "A Virtual Postcard from the Amazon Rainforest" by Philip Murray at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 2nd, 2022, 04:35 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL 63 - "A Virtual Postcard from the Amazon Rainforest" by Philip Murray

This is basically a postcard from part of my "backyard" since it was all shot very close. (I'm lucky to live high in the mountains and still be very close to the rainforest.) I thought about including some narration, but decided that postcards are all about visuals and scenes.

It was shot completely on a 7-year-old Sony AX100 which is still an amazing camera. Editing was done with DaVinci Resolve 18. I was impressed with what Resolve's software stabilization could do with some of the animal footage shot from an extremely unstable canoe on Lago Sandoval. It was basically unwatchable before Resolve did its magic.

Please feel free to make any criticisms and suggestions as I'm way past worrying about that kind of stuff and I'm much more concerned with getting better.

My biggest disappointment was not being able to use my drone, but they are not permitted in the areas where I filmed. I'm hoping to get permission to fly in the Machu Picchu area in the future, though, as I already have permission from the Sanctuary director to explore in the surrounding jungle. That might be a subject for a future film, but since I am required to do explore alone -- they have a lot of understandable paranoia that people will make guided group trips into off-limits places.

One last thing -- I didn't do any color corrections at all. These colors are straight out of the camera and probably not as vivid as in real life. It's been a relatively dry winter, but when our spring comes in a few week, the high jungle explodes with color as flowers become much more abundant. (Of course, that means a lot more rain, too!)

Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2022, 05:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL 63 - "A Virtual Postcard from the Amazon Rainforest" by Philip Murray

Hi Phil,
You have an exotic backyard!
I like the variety of wide and close up shots. And you even had some wildlife too.
Some of those flowers were really colorful.
Very cool beginning with that old fashion postcard. Reminds me of sending those as a kid.

Drone shots over that river would have been great. Hope you get the permissions next time.

I don't think color correction was needed. A few of the wide shots in the beginning, were a little dull as you said, but that was fine to me.

Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2022, 05:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Phil, I am so jealous. I have to go to a botanical garden just to see what you have all around you. Those were some great shots, I could feel the heat and humidity. I liked the way you started it with a "Postcard". It was really nice showing us the various wildlife that lives there. Your close ups of flowers and insect were crisp, and the color was rich and beautiful. I have visited that area several times and always found it exciting. Also, I am always amazed that you can still find old walls and steps that were build hundreds of years ago. Great entry. Bob

Last edited by Bob Safay; August 2nd, 2022 at 06:29 AM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2022, 09:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Wow Phil!

I agree with what Trond and Bob both said previously. Truly excellent work for both the filming and the editing! Good choice of music too. Thanks for sharing how well using Resolve's stabilize function worked on the footage you shot from the canoe. Loved the way you filmed the otters from their eye level instead of yours!

The still at the end was a nice close for a day trip.

I really like your submission. It makes me wish I could go there myself.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 11:00 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Phil.
What a fantastic video, where you open with a postcard addressed to UWOL and give us a little hint of what to expect.
No need for VO here as you let the music, images and background sound speak for themselves. Eventually your friend comes, one after the other, so to speak.
I have never been to a rainforest, but I can imagine that it is an exciting environment for a nature and wildlife videographer.
Thank you for sharing some of your adventures with us at Uwol.
Well done!
Old August 3rd, 2022, 08:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Trond,
I wish there had been more flowers. You wouldn't believe how colorful it is during the "rainy" season. Orchids are everywhere along with tons of tiny colorful flowers. I doubt I'll be able to get permission to fly in the more public places because that might encourage others to do it illegally. Still, there are countless places higher in the mountains around Machu Picchu with some spectacular waterfalls that are never visited.

Bob,
One of the reasons I have permission to explore is that there are still many, many sites that are covered by the jungle that are still unexplored. The Machu Picchu Sanctuary is not huge, but there are 60 known sites -- not individual buildings -- and the administrators really don't want people going into the mountains searching for artifacts. Many places are easy to find -- I've discovered three Inca roads leading into the mountains -- but they are unpublicized to discourage amateur explorers. Everyone agrees that there are still places to be discovered. One good friend says there's a major site still up high in the mountains, but archeologists say that they have explored the area he talks about and there is nothing up there. Of course, there are two major roads leading up to that place and one can't help but wonder where they go.

Roger,
I am constantly amazed at what Resolve's software stabilization can do. It makes really shaky handheld footage usable again. Shooting from the a very unstable canoe while zoomed in very far made it almost unwatchable before Resolve took over. Getting so close to the giant river otters is a rarity as they tend to keep their distance and there are also regulations about how close you can get. These actually came to us so we could hold out spot and watch them from about 30 meters.

Geir,
I actually edited with the intention of doing narration. That was the reason for the animals all being at the end. After watching it, though, I decided it was better just to let the scenes tell the "story" of the beauty rainforest. All my friends here know that there are two things that I am obsessed with -- Machu Picchu and the jungle. I am very lucky to have access to both so close with very inexpensive access. (I'm thinking about going back to the Machu Picchu area in a few days, but I already have a planned trip there in 3 weeks along with two other trips to Arequipa in the western desert in two weeks and three days in the southeastern Peruvian rainforest at the end of the month. I may just stay home.)
Phil Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge