On Your Mark, Get Set, Go! UWOL Theme #1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 4th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #31
Wrangler

What Gabriel was referring to was the paid version of Sorenson 3 and for the money you get much more manual control of the codec settings.

Meryem, as a 3rd party, may I suggest MPEG1? Very inefficient I realize, but definitely the most cross-platform compatible because of its age. Pretty much everything out there can play MPEG1 files.

Just a thought, and it won't hurt my feelings at all if you say...naaaahhh, thanks anyway.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #32
Major Player

Thanks Meryem, Sorry to be a hassle. That was not my goal. I am new to all of this, and so I only know what I read. And I read that Sorenson 3 was a 300 dollar program. But as Greg stated, I did not realize it was its own file format. so sorry about that. But now I know. Thanks.

And thanks for the directions on the menus. I am so bad at editing! :P

Thanks! Sorry to be the pain!
~Gabriel

PS: I like DivX, but Sorenson 3 is fine.
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
we've also listed a couple of royalty-free music sites at www.uwolchallenge.com, if you need free compositions to include in your productions...i'm sure there are other sources of free music as well.
Another source for music is wikipedia. They have Creative Commons music files.
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #34
Trustee

Well I went out for a shoot yesterday....YILCHO !! the event I went to film has 'moved on'!! Now I am up against it !

Hope everyones getting on well :)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
sorry if i sound cranky tonight. the cross-platform debates make me cross. let's not indulge that now, please. all good suggestions will be incorporated, i promise, in time. extra points if you participate in the open discussions beforehand, rather than complaining after the fact. i will post a follow-up discussion thread to entertain post-UWOL #1 ideas and suggestions. that would be an excellent time
Meryem, sorry if I pushed too far on the subject -- I didn't mean to make you or anyone else get all grumpy over it. I'll try to have some more constructive suggestions for challenge #2.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #36
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager
And I read that Sorenson 3 was a 300 dollar program. But as Greg stated, I did not realize it was its own file format. so sorry about that.
Not its own file format. Sorensen is a CODEC and a basic version of it which doesn't allow you much control is included.

A file format is a file with a given extension such as avi, wmv, mov, etc. Within those formats, a specific CODEC is used to encode the video and audio. In order to playback on another system, that system needs to have a copy of the same codec so that it can decode the video and audio for playback.

Hope this makes it a little easier to understand.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #37
Wrangler

hey gabriel, sincere questions are never a pain. i'm happy to answer questions, if i can answer them.

i only got grouchy because i asked for input beforehand. and i'll ask for more after the challenge is completed. this is a new thing and a work in progress. our web team is hard at work, spending a lot of their free time solving problems, and your forbearance is requested....

and i am happy to entertain suggestions, which are free from the complaining aspect. in fact, i encourage the web-savvy to have at it and hash this out. perfect the process for me, please! i certainly don't know enough to challenge anyone on these grounds. just keep in mind that no one wants to download anything new in order to play other peoples' videos. that's the only requirement. universal access is the only parameter....

believe me, if i click on it, and it plays immediately, you won't hear a whimper out of me! and if it looks great, all the better....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #38
Major Player

Ok, thank you guys. And thanks again Greg. Like I said, I am horrible at the editing/compression/etc. part of video making. But I guess its all a learning process. And the fact that I have only edited two things in my life, does not help. :D It will be fun to see how this video turns out. haha.

the Weather has been bad here too! its been nothing but rain for the most part. So far today I have seen a bit of clouds but no rain, thats a good sign.

Thanks everyone!
~Gabriel
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #39
Trustee

Hey guys,

I thought Vegas 6d would have Sorenson as an output option but nooooo. I'm leaving monday and have to post this thing somewhere this weekend. I searched the help files on both Vegas and DVD Architect - nothing.

I may just put it up on youtube, unless anybody has any workable conversion solutions. I don't mind not being included in the contest, I just don't want to get flamed for 'not producing'.

Thanks
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert
Hey guys,

I thought Vegas 6d would have Sorenson as an output option but nooooo. I'm leaving monday and have to post this thing somewhere this weekend. I searched the help files on both Vegas and DVD Architect - nothing.

I may just put it up on youtube, unless anybody has any workable conversion solutions. I don't mind not being included in the contest, I just don't want to get flamed for 'not producing'.

Thanks

Ken, if you have a fast internet connection and would be willing to let me do the conversion for you, I can probably have you send over an AVI and I'll re-encode. That may be more hassle though... I dunno, let me know what you think. I also don't have time to open up this option to everyone so not sure if this would be acceptable or not -- and I'm still planning to enter the contest myself, but will probably get flamed for not producing because all my plans are going down the sewer over here.

Not to bring up a sore subject, but this is why I was questioning the choice of Sorenson. It's not a standard encode feature on Windows systems and requires people to either buy QT Pro (or obtain it with NLE software) or to buy the Sorenson CODEC pack. Windows can play Sorenson3 as can QT, but to encode it is different. Some Windows based NLE software makes use of QT and will include it right in the package along with the Sorenson3 CODEC, but many popular NLE softwares like Vegas don't include QT or use it directly.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #41
Trustee

Thanks Jeff,

But I'll try to do it.

I upgraded to QT pro. But still not coming easy to me. to try it out I imported a wmv file to QT and then figured to Export it, thinking this is where the conversion to Sorenson occurs. Does Sorenson go by another name (3G) or is it just MPEG-4?

Yikes!
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #42
Trustee

Not sure on a PC but on my Mac after selecting Export
I choose Movie to QuickTime Movie. Then I click on the Options. That opens another window where I can choose Settings. When that window opens I can choose Compression type and I then select Sorenson 3.
Not sure if it works the same on a PC though.
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #43
Trustee

Kevin,

Thanks for the step by step. It worked.

Well, so far...
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #44
Trustee

I'm a bit confused

Hi.
In the sign up tread I read:
Challenge begins: January 1st - the theme will be posted
Challenge closes: January 22 noon MST

And under "current submissions" I read (on the green page):
Submissions for first challenge 'The Living Skies' due on 14/01/07

My english isn't that good, so I wonder what the last date means?
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge
Hi.
In the sign up tread I read:
Challenge begins: January 1st - the theme will be posted
Challenge closes: January 22 noon MST

And under "current submissions" I read (on the green page):
Submissions for first challenge 'The Living Skies' due on 14/01/07

My english isn't that good, so I wonder what the last date means?

My english might not be much better, but you are right, the end date should be 1-22-07. That what it was when I signed up, and I have a number of irons in the fire right now and could really use that time!

Clarification please!

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge