On Your Mark, Get Set, Go! UWOL Theme #1 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 10th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick A. Phillips

... Thanks to this contest, now every bird I see in flight has a one story ranch house flying along beneath it just to make sure it's legal ...

Rick
... a standard of "attention to detail" not seen since Napoleon.

Good for you, Rick.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #62
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick A. Phillips
Ok. Thanks to this contest, now every bird I see in flight has a one story ranch house flying along beneath it just to make sure it's legal.
Rick
that's pretty funny.

just to be clear. your entry will be judged in part on how your are working the theme in your own unique. this doesn't mean that ground shots are absolutely excluded. for example, if your bird flies to the ground, don't exclude the shot. just be sure that the overall entry is a reflection of the theme....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #63
Trustee

Hey everyone,
It appears we're still having some issues with the uploads.
If you're ready to upload shoot me an email and I'll create a private FTP username and directory for you and you can upload it via FTP then we can move it into the regular upload directory.

I know I may have to do this 42 times if we don;t figure out the auto uploader but it's worth it.

So, I only have like 4 users at a time I can create accounts for so I'll email you the info once you tell me you're ready to upload then when you have it uploaded let me know and I'll creat the accoount for the next people.

Pain in the rear but I really want to see this challenge succed!
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #64
Trustee

Hi people

Let me first apologise for the situation with the uploader.....you would not begin to believe how much time and pain this has caused.

Rest assured we will get you all entered ... !

I am still working on uploader reliability and I will let you guys know when its 100%....

If anyone can give it a try and let me know what happens I'd be very greatful, it may help to get things sorted out.

Cheers
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #65
Trustee

Ok, I'm stepping out for an hour or so. The light is good and I need to start work on my own film.
So I've given out a couple of ftp user names already. If there's any more of you drop me an email and I'll get you one as soon as I can.

Also, if you've uploaded via FTP, please try again using the uploader so we can figure that one out. It will make life easier for everyone.

Okey dokes, I'm off to film. Hope the light holds!!
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #66
Trustee

I'm back. Seems that people are having issues trying to upload via FTP.
I have no clue how to upload with FTP via Windows as I only have Macs.

I use CyberDuck and once I log in, I just drag and drop.

I had one email saying they were denied permission. I know when I tried to access the directory via my web broweser it wouldn;t let me but I've never done that so I have no clue if I'm doing that right. :-)

Anyway, the accounts I've given out already are active and I've uploaded via FTP to all of them when I logged in as them and they all work.

Just got another email and it sounds like they were trying to use the FTP accounts to log in via the auto uploader that Mat has been slaving away at.
The username and passwords I'm giving out is to your own directory to upload via FTP.

The uploader and the FTP info I'm giving out are two different things.
Some people are having troubles with the auto uploader so we're creating direcories for them to upload via FTP and not via the auto uploader.
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback
I'm back. Seems that people are having issues trying to upload via FTP.
I have no clue how to upload with FTP via Windows as I only have Macs.
Under Windows, you can access an FTP service through windows explorer, IE or most any other web browser, same with the Mac via a finder window or Safari, You can also go to the command prompt and type "ftp server.domain.com" without the quotes obviously and you will connect and be prompted for login info. Or you can just type ftp at the command prompt and it will prompt for a server or host name as well. Just like using unix/linux. You can also use the ftp client on OSX via the terminal or command window as OSX is essentially just BSD underneath all the pretty interface elements. If you use a Mac Finder window or a Windows Explorer window, you can just drag and drop there as well once connected.

Quote:
I had one email saying they were denied permission. I know when I tried to access the directory via my web broweser it wouldn;t let me but I've never done that so I have no clue if I'm doing that right. :-)
Probably didn't specify username and password in the address line. In your browser just type "ftp://username:password@whatever.whatever.com" once again without quotes. In OSX if you do this with Safari, it will just pop up a Finder window... Windows has more options... You can also just open an explorer window and enter that as the path if you have the address bar turned on.

Kevin, PM or email me if you want some additional help with the FTP service and/or the uploader. I'm pretty busy, but can probably at least help with that... I should do something seeing how I haven't had a chance to even start shooting anything for this little challenge. Heh.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #68
Trustee

Jeff,
Give Mat who posted above a shout. He's the one that's been working his fingers to the bone trying to get our auto uploader to 100%.

Or Mat, give Jeff a shout to see if he can offer any assistance in figuring it all out. :)
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #69
Regular Crew

The auto uploader worked fine for me for an approx 7M upload.

I did have a 47M version fail first. After about 30 mins of "uploading" it timed out -- although I was doing other stuff (Final Cut, uploading other stuff etc.)

Currently the best thing I can say about my entry is that it's "done"
Hopefully I will have a better effort ready for UWOL #2
Nick Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #70
Trustee

Just a heads up. Our hosting service must be doing some maint. work on their servers as I can't log in as of 5:30AM Iowa time.

So, if you try and upload and have some issues, they should go away shortly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge