UWOL#1 Driven By The Winds by Bruce Foreman - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow
Yay! One of our great DVC contributors comes over the the UWOL. No AWOL here.
Kinda gets in one's blood, doesn't it?

Quote:
You have an excellent voice and great delivery! May I call on you for V.O. some day? I noticed a difference in the audio when the V.O. came in. It wasn't there (or noticible) at the very beginning so am guessing that it was done in a different inside location? Maybe blending some outdoor, breezy, natural room tone in with the V.O. might help? Just a thought.
You hit the nail on the head. Outdoors opening scene I used a Rode StereoVideoMic on a stand close by. Wind was so strong some of the noise got past the Deadcat. The rest was voiceover and there I encountered a problem. Cheap Labtech dynamic and I didn't know how to set basic mic input gain in the computer. With gain in the NLE set at max I still had to get within about 2" of the mic to get anything much out of it. So that definitely affected the audio quality.

Now I know where to set input gain on the computer and can get plenty of OOMPH where I need it. Next project is to get a mini stereo to mono adapter for the Rode SVM and see if I can get better voiceover audio out of that.

Quote:
Best wishes~
Bradley

PS: I'm a Canon fan too. Was that the Rebel? I have a 10D
It's the original Digital Rebel (300D). I'm a retired photographer, did weddings part time while still on active duty, ran my own studio business for 10 years after retiring from the military, then got on with the air force as a civilian staff photographer at a training base and did that for 13 years. I was in on the changeover from conventional film/wet process to all digital photography at Goodfellow AFB.

Since my still photography is more at a personal level these days, the original Digital Rebel suited me just fine. The 10D you have is a pretty good "work horse".
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #17
Major Player

Bruce
Well done. I like your choice of music and as mentioned the sound of your voice. Wind farms are becoming a big deal here. One thing we have is wind most days.
Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #18
Major Player

Great example of "progress at conservation" clearly illustrated, visually and verbally. Effective subtle contrast between the stark white images and the soft sell of your script.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #19
Trustee

Hi Bruce.
I recognized the music from Smartsound, I've used it myself in a diving/snorkling video, last year:)
I also liked you point of view, with the windmills. We're gonna have some in our neighbourhood too, if the goverment agreed on it. I'm a bit worried about the white tale eagle though, getting hurt, but as you say, the windmills produce clean energy. Nice editing and of cause I liked the music :)
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #20
Major Player

Nice work again Bruce! The visuals were awesome! Great camera work..
My only knock would be to remove some of the hiss from the dialogue.

Very nice work though, you've been busy lately!

Mike
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman
Kinda gets in one's blood, doesn't it?

It's the original Digital Rebel (300D). I'm a retired photographer, did weddings part time while still on active duty, ran my own studio business for 10 years after retiring from the military, then got on with the air force as a civilian staff photographer at a training base and did that for 13 years. I was in on the changeover from conventional film/wet process to all digital photography at Goodfellow AFB.

Since my still photography is more at a personal level these days, the original Digital Rebel suited me just fine. The 10D you have is a pretty good "work horse".
Hi Bruce- I'm curious what you think about your changeover to digital?

Yes. The 10D has been a great workhorse camera. Am seriously considering a 5D now as a primary and keeping the 10D as back up.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #22
Trustee

Bradley,

I was all for it! Something new and different from what I had been doing for years, and yet still the same.

I don't want to go back to conventional film wet process photography for anything. When I had my own studio I was pretty well tuned into Kodak Vericolor films for portrait and wedding photography. I had polaroid backs for the Mamiya RB-67's and Photo Control Camerz gear used in the camera rooms so I could test out ideas and concept changes and see results immediately. Then test and "lock in" proper exposure on Vericolor before using new techniques.

Now we do a tentative analysis with the LCD on the back of the camera then move to the computer to do it more critically.

When I went to work for the air force I got into a different kind of process management. Instead of tray development of B&W prints, we used a Kodak RoyalPrint processor which was a bear to clean every couple of weeks. Instead of small scale B&W film processing on steel reels in small tanks, I had sheet film hangers that held 4 4x5 sheets of film, large stainless steel tanks in a big stainless sink with nitrogen burst agitation and had to "baby sit" the whole development process in total darkness by feel until a few minutes in the fixer.

The day the lab chief "took B&W processing away" from me I almost did cartwheels when he left the room. No more dumping used chemistry and scrubbing stainless tanks and sink every two weeks. For B&W prints all I had to do was total desaturation in HSB and adjust contrast in Photoshop till it looked good.

When they took the E-6 process away from me, I celebrated! The periodic lift roller racks out to scrub clean, and mix new chemistry took me two days each time (that machine was a monster!).

So for me the changeover to digital in that photo lab was a tremendous reduction in PHYSICAL LABOR. Everyone thought working in an environment like I did was just a snap. Just walking around and taking "happy snaps".

Now I'm retired, when I need to do something I grab one of two digital cameras and do what I have to, then order good prints from mpix.com or head for SAMS with a disk.

I love digital!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge