UWOL #3: "The Wild Northwest" by Gabriel Yeager - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
I didn't notice a problem with the audio
Same here, I downloaded your video again this morning, and the audio sounds just great to me.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #17
Major Player

Dude,

Nice little piece. I really liked the pulsating transitions which matched with the music (you have to hook me up with the band, very good sound). I think I read that you didn't intend to have the auto focus look in some of your shots, but I think it added to the depth of the film.

So how long did you have to sit and wait for the heron to swallow the fish, and how did you get close enough not to scare it away? When ever I get within 100 yards of a Heron it flys away...

Huge fish, curvy thin neck...physics don't quite match, but hey mother earth has her ways.

Good work,
Jeff
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #18
Major Player

Yeah.. I watched the film and I did not hear anything.. Maybe it was just a bad download?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hendricks View Post
Dude,

Nice little piece. I really liked the pulsating transitions which matched with the music (you have to hook me up with the band, very good sound). I think I read that you didn't intend to have the auto focus look in some of your shots, but I think it added to the depth of the film.

So how long did you have to sit and wait for the heron to swallow the fish, and how did you get close enough not to scare it away? When ever I get within 100 yards of a Heron it flys away...

Huge fish, curvy thin neck...physics don't quite match, but hey mother earth has her ways.

Good work,
Jeff
Thanks for the comments!

I could probably hook you up with Overlooked Identity... I'll see what I can do.
The part where the geese walk of screen and the focus goes nuts then fades white was actually really useful! I thought it helped with the music a little.. But the focus was an accident, but when it fades out I did that to make it look better, lol.

Umm, thats a good question... Both times (I went there twice, he was there both times) I was there before it.. I think the trick is to be there before the time that all the fish start jumping and feeding on the mosquitos. For thats when the Heron comes in to eat.. He was in the exact same spot both days. Me and my "show-fer" were both just standing about maybe 100ft away? I had my full 20X to get as close as you could see on that clip.

Haha, I know! I was so shocked when he ate that huge fish!

Thanks again!
~Gabriel
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #19
Trustee

Hey Gabriel,

I'm headed out the door for Yellowstone so your film will be the last one I can give feedback on for a while unless I get some downtime in Montana.

I just wanted to say quickly how impressive your lates film is. Of all the "regulars" there's no doubt that you get the most improved.

I think this is your best film yet. Go back and watch your UWOL1 entry and compare it to this one.

Herons are called confidence birds. Ducks and other birds see them and they are more likely to land because the heron is very wary and will usually fly off at the slightest disturbance. So for you to get the footage you did is a hats off to you!!

Congrats on this film Gabriel. You should be proud of the work you've done and even prouder of how much you've improved over such a short amount of time.

Ok, gotta run, I hear grizzly bears on Speciman Ridge calling my name! :)
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #20
New Boot

hi gabriel,

enjoyed watching your film. with the slow pictures and the lively soundtrack it has a nice pace and rhythm to it.
good work.
Tom Schumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #21
Trustee

Mr Yeager .....hats off to you ! I second what Kevin has said your improvement is fantastic. I great little film youve done there with some wonderfull shots, the heron with the small whale ;-) well wow...great stuff! Man I was just screaming cut to close up, cut to close up...but I'm guessing you were maxed out on range....a problem I have on most shots however close I am!
I would say this shot held too long as well and cutting to the same shot again is probably not so good. How about go to something else 'introducing some time' then back to the heron who gets his fish the second time showing some persistance...., you could even horizontally flip it to change things up a bit...just a thought, hope it helps.

Great wides by the way :) Nice film fella, I think we should be watching our backs in uwol4 :-) !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #22
Major Player

Thanks guys!

Thanks Kevin. :) Have a great time in Yellowstone!

Thanks Mat. I was maxed out on zoom the hole time... :( It was really to bad..

I originally had a "time-lapse" piece there in-between the two clips of the Heron. But then I decided to cut it cause it was way to slow and just made the film a little more boring for my taste. I wish I had some footage of a flower on the waters edge that I could have put there, but I never saw any when I was there. :-/

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the comments/suggestions!
~Gabriel
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #23
Major Player

Hello Gabriel:

I went back and did a second download....no hiss on the audio this time it must have been an issue on my end....sorry about that.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Gabrial,

I loved your piece!!!

I thought the heron was fine and did not need a closer look, but then I am familiar with them.

What I wondered was about the fish!! It appeared dead when he caught it. Or, did he kill it and the only footage you got was of the washing and swallowing?

If you baited it that would be a cool idea to get them in a little closer!!!

It looked like a large rainbow trout.

amazing what they can swallow.

good Job!!!
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #25
Major Player

Good to hear Brian, sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks Dale. I believe he killed it right then? I am not very familiar with them so I am not sure of their eating habits.. I got about 20 minutes or so of the Heron over all.. I could look through it and see if I could find out... I don't think he killed it before that shot though. I kept a pretty good eye on him the hole time, and I think he killed it right then when he picked it up (this is all based on assumption). Really a fascinating bird... I would like to get more of him.

Haha, the bait is a good idea! I should try that some time, work on my fishing skills that way (I've only fished once, and it was in a man made pond)!

Thanks for the comments!
~Gabriel
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #26
Major Player

Gabriel
I have to say you just keep getting better and better. Considering the equipment you are using you got some great shots. I've watched alot of herons and they are hard to work with as they are spooked easily. I've never seen one swallow as big a fish as that one. I agree with Dale that the fish appears dead in the second attempt. It looks like you could use a little more tape to let your shots for timelapse run a little longer. Anyway I think you have a very good video.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #27
Major Player

Thanks Gordon!

Yes I could use more tape. This hole challenge was shot on one tape (The most tape I have ever used in that amount of time). I only have three tapes; one is full, the other one I filled up with this challenge, and my last one only has about 30 minutes on it left. So be prepared for the next Uwol to miss some stuff.. :(

To much money, not enough pay.

Thanks for the comments!
~Gabriel
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #28
Trustee

Gabriel,

If I could, with your permission, I would like to show your entry at our local photography club meeting in June.

Private email has the full request.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #29
Major Player

Bruce, I replied to your email.

Thanks for asking!
~Gabriel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge