UWOL #3: "The Wild Northwest" by Gabriel Yeager at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #3: "The Wild Northwest" by Gabriel Yeager

Ok, so heres my feedback thread. Feel free to post any comments, suggestions, criticism, and so forth.

I did all the video work my self, the opening shot is of the famous Mt. St. Helen's.

The soundtrack was the song "Out of the Black" by Overlooked Identity (link coming soon).

And thats about all I can think of... Thanks for watching my film and I can't wait to get around to seeing all of yours! It might take a little bit of time before I can though, but I will be sure to leave all my feedback!

Thanks!
~Gabriel

Last edited by Gabriel Yeager; May 23rd, 2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Song title was off...
Gabriel Yeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Trustee

Like one other has said, Gabriel, this was your best film yet. Beautiful scenery, good timing and camera work on the wildlife.

Being persistent in staying after the fishing bird (I don't know my birds very well so don't know what kind it was) and his efforts to GULP down lunch...Paid off.

That was some very interesting wildlife video capture.

Your sunrise and sunset made a great beginning and ending for you.

Well done!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:58 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Gabriel and congratulation on finishing uwol#3.
I had to see your film first. I guess as a youth worker I'm always on the youngest side :)
It's your best film so far in uwol, and the way you've captured the heron, it's stunning. Thats a great fish to swallow. Nice music too, it fits the plot.
Beautiful colours in your ending scene, and yes I almost forget to mention, the morning haze, (it's early morning I guess?), slightly moving across the lake. Well done Gabriel!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well done Gabriel!
I really like what you came up with.
One thing I would have liked to see, was a close up of the bird as it was swallowing one of those fishes.
Nice beginning and ending too.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Very nice, Gabriel. That is a Great Blue Heron you have there eating the largest fish I've ever seen one attempt. I think you're doing great things with what you have. Keep it up.

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Wrangler

whenever i get to share an intimate moment like that with one of the planet's beautiful creatures, it's hugely special. nice!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Trustee

There you are! Finally, your thread is up. As you can see, we've all been waiting for it. I think the Heron scored 2 of 2, the fish 0 of 2, and you an 8.5 on this one. Nice job. We love watching your improvements. A very bad day for the fish but a great day of shooting for you. Congrats!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:01 AM   #8
Major Player

I really enjoyed your film, and the bookend sunrise and sunset was a classic and elegant way to frame your wildlife. The great blue heron sequences were really great- amazing to see them eating such large fish. You have captured a view of their world that is rare to see- patience and persistence paid off. The film flowed very well- as others said, this is your best movie yet.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Hey! Great, chilled out film - i bet that heron had indegestion for a week - made me laugh!!! Good cameos from the landscape too. Well done!

Cheers,

Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:35 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks everyone!

I had a great time for most of this challenge... I had some struggles, but I guess thats why they call it a challenge eh?

I too would have loved to see a closer shot of the bird, but that was the full 20X zoom that I have. I need to get a tele lens, but just can't afford one.

Yep, all of this was shot in two mornings. Wednesday at 5:30 to 6am, and friday morning at 4:30 to 6am. It was rough getting sleep in that time... But I think it was all worth it.

It probably would not have turned out as good as it did if it was not for Meryem! :D Thanks for the tip there, it really helped!

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the comments! I look forward to seeing all of your submissions tonight!!

~Gabriel
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM   #11
Trustee

You Gabriel, said that you had nothing!
Well, the Heron sequence was a wow to me, haven't seen a bird been able to swallow a fish like that before.
Very well done, you are developing very well. Can't wait for your next uwol-contribution.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM   #12
Major Player

Gabriel back a while ago in jest I suggested you were holding out on us....well the joke was on me you actually were holding out. Wonderfully done I enjoyed every moment. Like the others I'm shocked at the size of the fish that bird swallowed. One slight issue Gabriel...I don't know if it was my download or what but I had a problem with the audio...a very distinct hiss? Just me or did others have the same issue??

Nice work Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:02 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks guys! I was very shocked when I saw that Heron swallow the fish! I knew they did, I just could never imagine something that big...

I'm downloading all the films right now, I can't wait to get started on watching them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay View Post
I don't know if it was my download or what but I had a problem with the audio...a very distinct hiss? Just me or did others have the same issue??
Hmm, I'll have to look into that. Sorry for any annoyance it may have caused you! After I finished the project and put the music on it, I set the export settings a clicked the button. First try I thought it came out fine, so I uploaded it. I guess I could have set the audio rate higher. Thanks for pointing this out and I'll be sure to see what I can do to make it better!

Thanks again everyone!
~Gabriel
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:21 PM   #14
Trustee

Hi friends:

I didn't notice a problem with the audio, so Gabriel you might be off the hook. I'll go back again and check to make sure but nothing comes to mind.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:53 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Cat. ;)

I'll still check it out and see what I can do. And maybe well I am at it, upload it to youtube for fast watching.

I'm still downloading!
~Gabriel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge